PDA

View Full Version : 5 Axis drilling

SOLIDCAMSTEVE
12-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone.I am currently in the mental swamp that is 5 axis milling and i am struggling to manually program drilled holes on different faces and different angles.
I notice that there is no drilling cycle within the cam package for 5 axis programming.Does anyone know of a way to program drilling or any short cuts to help.
I should also say that the Heidenhain itnc530 control is set up to use cycle 19 and not plane spatial.
Thanks in anticipation of your help.

dengo
12-21-2010, 03:48 PM
It may be a separate option that you don't have.
I have it on my set up as "Multi-Axis Drilling". I have never had to use it myself to date but having just had a quick look at the interface it is pretty much the same as the 5Axis one.

Brakeman Bob
12-22-2010, 07:00 AM
You need to set up a MAC position for each different orientation which will then output as a CYCL 19. So in your CAM part you will have MAC 1 POS ! (what I call "MAIN DATUM") then for each hole on a different angle you set another MAC 1 position eg MAC 1 POS 2, MAC 1 POS 3 etc. Then programming the hole uses the normal drilling cycles. A really nice way of setting the different MAC position is to use the "Normal to current view" option when adding a new MAC, making sure that "Place CoordSys Origin to" is set to "CoordSys #1". Then it is simply a matter of selecting the hole on the model, right click and pick the "View Perpendicular" icon. Vióla!

BTW it is you post processor that is set up to use CYCL 19 - we have run programs using both CYCL 19 and PLANE SPATIAL with no adjustment to the machine

Good luck