PDA

View Full Version : Velocity is going to be GREAT!!!

mdlmkr
07-07-2005, 04:49 PM
I just saw a demo of the new version of SURFCAM, called Velocity. They made a lot of claims that I have heard from CAD/CAM companies over the years..."This is going to be the next big thing!" or "This is brand new technology!"

Well I can tell you first hand that both of those statements are TRUE!!!! Using a regular HSS OSG Cutter and a normal HAAS they cut .5 deep with a .5 cutter going at OVER 700 INCHES PER MINUTE!!!!! They TRIPLED the recomended cutting speed in tool steel. I saw it or I wouldnt have believed it!

The way they do it makes total sense. I just wish I thought of the technology!!!!

I bet a lot of M@%#$!Cam guys are going to be switching over.

psychomill
07-07-2005, 06:27 PM
I bet a lot of M@%#$!Cam guys are going to be switching over.

I doubt it.... at least not for that sole reason.

True Mill came up with some smarter logic in HSM processing. M@%#$!Cam has had earlier versions of this (as well as other systems) for some time, including Surfcam. After market processors have been doing this as well. Surfcam is a step ahead (for HSM) in the game for now,.... but don't shoot anybody for it yet.

:cheers:

Death Adder
08-18-2005, 12:16 PM
I doubt it.... at least not for that sole reason.

True Mill came up with some smarter logic in HSM processing. M@%#$!Cam has had earlier versions of this (as well as other systems) for some time, including Surfcam. After market processors have been doing this as well. Surfcam is a step ahead (for HSM) in the game for now,.... but don't shoot anybody for it yet.

:cheers:

I was disappointed w/ TrueMill. I didn't see any mention in their announcements or hype video about this.... But it's only for 2 axis pocket cutting. I don't even do any of that. Where is something similar for 3d machining? That would actually be useful to me. As it stands truemill is just an obvious idea applied to a very limited sub-set of machining. What a disappointment!

Haas_Apps
08-18-2005, 01:53 PM
I was disappointed w/ TrueMill. I didn't see any mention in their announcements or hype video about this.... But it's only for 2 axis pocket cutting. I don't even do any of that. Where is something similar for 3d machining? That would actually be useful to me. As it stands truemill is just an obvious idea applied to a very limited sub-set of machining. What a disappointment!

I am a long time Mastercam user and will probably never use anything else. I have spoken to the powers that be at Surfware about the use of Velocity with 3D machining. They told me that they will be incorporating it with the SRM, and expect to have a beta later this year.

Death Adder
08-18-2005, 02:29 PM
I am a long time Mastercam user and will probably never use anything else. I have spoken to the powers that be at Surfware about the use of Velocity with 3D machining. They told me that they will be incorporating it with the SRM, and expect to have a beta later this year.

That would be good. That's what I was led to believe TrueMill was in the first place. I guess they decided to impliment the easier one first and release it then get the tougher stuff done and release later. It makes sense. Thanks!

Cammotion
08-21-2005, 02:17 PM
That would be good. That's what I was led to believe TrueMill was in the first place. I guess they decided to impliment the easier one first and release it then get the tougher stuff done and release later. It makes sense. Thanks!

My Surfcam dealer is all agog over this technology. I do very little 2D stuff, but I mentioned to him that it would be neat if they could get this in the SRM package, and then into the finishing cuts also. (Like 3D Offset) He said SRM's next, then on to the finishing programs. I would like to see it in SRM, I use it any time I can.

I still can't believe you can run a 1/2" 3 flute cutter 1/2" deep in aluminum @ 12,000 rpm, and 500 IPM. My dealer says it's true, and the cutter lasts a long time (longer?).

frogier
10-17-2005, 07:27 AM
I am currently using truemill. So far it works great. I do allot of 2d pocket milling. Feeds and speeds are much greater than what I am use to programming (ex. VMC w/8hp and 8000rpm spindle @ 300 ipm .400 dp & .375 stepover on a .5 dia 2fl carb. em. chip load is only 50%) . I have been told by my Surfcam sales rep. that they are incorporating this technology in to there 3axis milling.

Stevie
11-13-2005, 08:23 AM
I still can't believe you can run a 1/2" 3 flute cutter 1/2" deep in aluminum @ 12,000 rpm, and 500 IPM. My dealer says it's true, and the cutter lasts a long time (longer?).

actually it was 761 IPM
with a 3/8" step over

Cammotion
11-13-2005, 09:57 AM
actually it was 761 IPM
with a 3/8" step over

Stevie,

I ran the demo part that's in the "samples" folder of Velocity. I modified it to run on a small Haas VF-2. 1/2" 3 flute TiAln carbide, 1/2" depth of cut, 3/8" stepover, 10,000 RPM, 400 inches per minute. Truely amazing to watch! I can't wait to have Truemill and SRM working together. I think that'll happen soon after the first of the year. (2006!)