PDA

View Full Version : Problem Need opinions...

Dave's_Not_Here
11-24-2010, 07:31 PM
I need some feedback from those of you that have experience with ATC Spindles.

I recently bought a "New" HSD ATC ES915 from an out of state vendor. We communicated frequently and in detail leading up to the sales.

I sent the money for the spindle, cables, three ISO 30 ER32 tool holders and a VFD. When the spindle arrived:

I discovered that the top of the fan housing had a broken rib and a piece of the plastic was inside the spindle.

Three (3) of the fan blades had nicks that lined up perfectly with the broken rib on top of the fan housing.

The socket head screws holding the fan housing on, were showing signs of what appeared to be rust.

There were a significant quantity of aluminum shavings on the external cooling ribs of the fan housing.

There were numerous scratches all over the housing.

The inspection sticker had been removed, leaving a lot of scratches, and another sticker placed in the same location.

The black oxide finish was 90% gone from the steel bearing housing on the nose of the spindle, with obvious signs of wear and nicks.

There were two (2) locations showing dates... 2006!

The manufacturer states that there are three (3) pieces of documentation accompanying every spindle, including a Manufacturers Certificate of Inspection and a manual for installing, operating and maintaining the spindle... all three were missing.

The tool holders were missing.

... and more....

I contacted the vendor about the damage and why the spindle had all the markings of a used or refurbished spindle. I also asked about the 2006 dates.

I was assured it was a "New" spindle and that all the wear was from "setting up" and "testing" the spindle and VFD.

I was told that the manufacturer was no longer sending the aforementioned documentation.

I was told that the fan was broken in transit, even though the box had no damage in the area where that end of the spindle was located.

I could not get an answer about a 4+ year old "New" spindle.

I was told that the tool holders were back ordered (and they did finally arrive). They were SK 30 Taper, not the ISO, and I could not get any response regarding the discrepancy nor questions regarding the pull studs.

I sent pictures to the vendor and was told to ship the spindle back and it would be replaced. Since I could not get an answers to all of the questions I asked about the points above, I sent an e-mail canceling the transaction.

I requested a UPS Call Slip for the VFD, Cables and tool holders, as well as a full refund check.

The spindle is in transit and I am waiting on their response.

Questions:

Does this sound like a new spindle to you?
Does black oxide wear off during "test" runs?
Does HSD typically supply their vendors with 4+ year old spindles?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Dave

lgalla
11-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Try Eric Bigham.
ebigham@hsdusa.com

Or phone 945 587 1991
Larry

ger21
11-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Questions:

Does this sound like a new spindle to you?
Does black oxide wear off during "test" runs?
Does HSD typically supply their vendors with 4+ year old spindles?

Unfortunately, no, no, and no.

The vendor shouldn't be doing any testing. Any testing would be done before it left the plant is was manufactured in.

Regarding the fan, I had one get broken in transit from HSD after being rebuilt. However, it sounds like your spindle was run with the broken fan. Those fans are around $300+, btw.

Dave's_Not_Here
11-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Gerry,

I figured as much. There was also what appeared to be MDF dust in the fan housing, but even if they did want to "test" it before shipping, cutting air would be more appropriate than actually cutting material.

And why not send it in the original box? That is what really got me to thinking I was getting taken for a ride.

Now I have to see if I actually get my money back... has all the earmarks of getting ugly in a big way and a big hurry.

I plan of contacting HSD USA to see if this vendor actually represents the HSD line. Maybe HSD can "encourage" them to do the right thing, since they are damaging HSD's good business name.

Thanks for the input. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Dave

Dave's_Not_Here
11-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Try Eric Bigham.
ebigham@hsdusa.com

Or phone 945 587 1991
Larry

Igalla,

The number you posted is a non-working number. I will go to their website and look for a USA number. The spindle arrives at the Tennessee "dealer" tomorrow, so I need all my ducks in a row.

Thanks for the effort,

Dave

Dave's_Not_Here
11-29-2010, 12:08 PM
I just finished a call with Luca from HSD-USA and have a clear understanding how they handle spindle sales.

I will be in contact with the vendor that sold me the spindle and let him know that Luca and I have talked. The vendor is an HSD "customer" not a dealer. They can re-sell spindles but they do not "represent" HSD.

It is "highly unlikely" that the ES915, being one of the highest selling spindles, would be a "New 2006 model."

The vendor stated on 9-27-10 that he was waiting on information from HSD so he could finalize the quote, which would lead anyone to believe he was working directly with the manufacturer and supplying a new spindle. He was asked specifically if the spindle was new and replied that it was.

He does not have a leg to stand on. The smart thing to do is to issue the UPS Call Slip for the VFD, Cables and Tool Holders and issue the refund.

We will see what he chooses to do.

Dave