PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Problem with Esprit Lathe Stock

bigping77
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to use the stock left from my first operation as stock for my second operation. I can save it as an STL file and bring it in on my second operation but esprit doesn't allow me to select it as stock for another roughing operation. Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Here's what I'm using:

Software: Esprit 2011 (Solidturn)
1st op: Chucking ID
2nd op: Chucking OD

dcoupar
11-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Look under Tools - Options - Machining. Check Stock Automation. - oops, I was thinking sub-spindle. I'll get back to you.

bigping77
11-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Yes, I have checked the stock automation box in the tools options menu, And it works fine during my 1st opertation ( set up ) , its during the my second operation ( set up ) that it doesn't work.

dcoupar
11-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Simulate the first op.
Click "Save Stock To File" on the Simulation toolbar.
Start your 2nd op.
File - Open - check the Merge check box. and merge the STL you just saved.
Select the STL model then Rotate/Translate to position the STL correctly.
In the Simulation Properties on the Solids tab, select Stock - Solid - Use the selector arrow to select the STL model.
Click Add to add the stock to the list.

bigping77
11-23-2010, 05:33 PM
I can merge in the stl file and everything appears to be good, but when I try to do another roughing operation Esprit is asking for the rough stock. The stl is there but only for verification. I need something to use as my intial stock for the roughing on my second operation (set UP). I know this sounds crazy, but I know I'm not the only one using two set ups for one Part. Thanks

travis77
12-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Are you using a freeform operation and that's when Esprit is asking you to define the stock?

Are you setting up stock in the machine setup? Its under Options > Common Setup > Machine Setup or something like that. Im not at work right now so I cant exactly direct you. In 2011 you should only have to input stock in the machine setup area and then you dont have to define the simulation stock it should read it from the machine setup. Just something to try.

cbr_speedster
02-10-2011, 04:54 PM
To get perfect simulation for the second op you could model the solid to look like it should from the 1st and use it.

jessebpm
02-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Hey was just curious if you got this to work as you wanted or if you were still in the dark?