PDA

View Full Version : Granite Polishing

cjjonesarmory
11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I acquired several slabs of granite from a friend who didn't want to store them any more. I have 4 slabs of about 2' x 2' and 2 slabs of about 2' x 3'. They are about 1" thick and have about one third of the surface already polished. The rest of the surface is very rough. The reverse size is completely unpolished. I don't know the full story on these slabs such as where they originally came from. I plan on asking him next time I see him.

My question is if these slabs can be ground or polished by hand. It doesn't need to be a perfect polished finish, but I would like to make it a little less rough. I thought about using one of them on a stand as fireproof welding table. If they were polished completely flat by a professional, they could probably be used as as set-up tables for precision measuring or assembling.

Not really sure why I took them, didn't have a specific reason in mind, but he was going to get rid of them one way or another and I hated to see them go "bye-bye" especially since I got them for free.

cjjonesarmory
11-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm wondering if the techniques used in this video for corner-polishing would work on the surface? I wouldn't expect a completely flat, non-wavy surface doing it by hand, but I wonder if it would provide a decent finish.

YouTube - How To Profile & Polish Granite Countertop DIY