PDA

View Full Version : CNC Retrofit questions

K_Labs
11-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Is it easier and cheaper to convert a lathe over a mill? I assume that a lathe only needs 2 motors. With the mill I will either have to figure out quill or knee feed.

I have alot more intrest in building a cnc mill but I would think that a cnc lathe would be easier. Could some1 clarify? If anyone is located in the orange county area and would like to mentor me it would be greatly appreciate it. I would prefer to convert all my machines to cnc. Am I dillusional? I've seen this on ebay but I would think that you could part it out for alot cheaper than they are asking. Low Cost CNC Retrofits, Lowest Possible Price in Industrial Stepper, Servo Controller Packages. Shipping WORLDWIDE (http://www.lowcostcncretrofits.com/#2.5amp%20controllers)

My current machines aren't the greatest but here they are.
Sharp LMV w/ powerfeed
Enco Turnpro lathe
Hardinge DSM w/airfeed (probably not gonna happen on this one) no vari speed motor and no lead screws

K_Labs
11-03-2010, 05:28 PM
BUMP

uli12us
05-23-2012, 12:12 PM
That depends on what you want. A complete lathe is as complicated as a mill. You have 2 feedmotors but you need a regulated spindle motor if you want a constant surfacevelocity. And if you want to make threads you need an encoder to scan the spindle position.
That point is more expensive as a geared millspindle.