PDA

View Full Version : Arcs rather than point to point?

Stupidav
10-31-2010, 10:22 PM
I am machining a bunch of small "pedistals" with rounded edges. When the code is generated it autoamtically does point to point using the Z-Finish, is there any way to make it use arcs?

If I do a 2D Contour and just step it down like I want I get Arcs (i's and j's) which cuts nice, unlike the point to point, let alone the over all size of the program.

PinnacleMachine
11-02-2010, 03:47 PM
You can use the Arc Filter in the operation manager - but I don't trust it. The new V5.1 has new tool path engines for Z finish and there is an integrated Arcfilter. Although I haven't used them enough to trust them yet

I use a surface tolerance of .0001-.0002" for my finishing toolpaths and just live with large programs.

JP

Chrliev
01-22-2011, 02:15 PM
I have the same setup Motion Master 5 axis Router with Fagor 8050 controller.

I use the arc filter option when I post but sometimes when the circles require the machine to be in G18 XZ or G19 YZ circular plane the 8050 control generates errors. I never tried to figure out what the errors mean, so I only use it in G17 XY circlular mode.

The larger error tolerance that you set the smaller the program is, use the largest setting that you can get away with...