PDA

View Full Version : Soaking a KURT II CNC vice in Kerosene?

Odin
10-30-2010, 02:01 AM
Bear with me, I'm a beginning machinist. I work in a small production shop, but I myself am still green.

I acquired a Kurt II 4" vice for my own personal home use on my 4 axis Taig mill, and while the vice came to me working, it is saturated in dried grease and oil. I really, really want to clean the thing up.

I talked with the other, experienced machinists I work alongside. They told me specifically I should never disassemble the vice, they don't "go back together well", as if something would inevitably be out of alignment.

Their main suggestion- soak it in kerosene. I have 2 gallons of kero here, and want to let it soak for 8 hours or so- but I know the Kurt IIs have an o-ring in them, and I don't know if they can stand exposure to petroleum,
so this is why I'm asking. They are made to stand up to coolant, and some machinists use kero on aluminum, but I want to be sure here.

Will soaking the vice in kerosene damage internals in it in any way, or am I crazy? I just don't want to ruin the thing, as I still have to buy jaws for it. And yes, it is really filthy, even by shop standards.
Any other tips owners of these have for me is greatly appreciated.

Finally, to anyone wondering why a home machinist needs ridiculous overkill like a Kurt II- I needed extremely low deflection for making custom optics mounts and laser housings that hold their positional accuracy at long ranges.

packrat
10-30-2010, 07:26 PM
If it was mine, I would use SF-77 on a rag to get the oil/grease off of it. Then wipe with LPS-1. Be sure to use rubber gloves when using the SF-77.

http://www.damonq.com/History.htm

cary

Fastest1
04-05-2011, 12:02 AM
I would use what you have. The kerosene is pretty mild. I cant imagine it damaging anything in vise. OTOH I cant imagine why you cant disassemble a vise? Why dont you email Kurt?

Peter Schuldt
05-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I agree that contacting Kurt directly. They should have a cleaner specification. Did you have any luck?