PDA

View Full Version : Hickory, North Carolina

CNCRob
06-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Hello,
I was just wondering if there where any other members near Hickory, North Carolina.

CJL5585
06-27-2005, 09:51 PM
I live in Morganton.
Jerry

CNCRob
06-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Thats cool Jerry. Man the next town over. I didn't think anyone one that close was into cnc's. Ive seen your user name in different threads alot and never knew.

CJL5585
06-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Maybe we can get togather and have some coffee and chew the fat about our CNC plans.

Jerry

green127045
06-29-2005, 09:52 AM
I am not too far from Hickory..... I am currently in the process of converting my X3 to CNC

CJL5585
06-29-2005, 12:08 PM
I have been there, but can't recall where it's located off the top of my head. Somewhere below Winston Salem and Greensboro and not quite down to Concord maybe.

If you need assistance on the transformer (other thread) send me the specs on your transformer, drives, and motors and I will calculate it out for you.

Jerry

ROB31
10-06-2005, 12:48 AM
Just Getting Into Cnc , Would Love Any Help You Guys From Hickory And Morganton Could Give Me.

CJL5585
10-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Just Getting Into Cnc , Would Love Any Help You Guys From Hickory And Morganton Could Give Me.

Sent you private mail @ 1:30 AM Thursday.

Jerry

CNCRob
10-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Hey Rob,
I also just sent you a pm

CNCRob
07-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Anyone else in or near Hickory NC?

beone
07-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi Guys,
I live in Hickory, actually in Mountain View, Just south of town . SOFO (south of forty)
DAve

dchanceafs
07-23-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm in sanford little ways away

HayTay
07-23-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm in sanford little ways away
I'm in Siler City, about 30 minutes north of Sanford. I actually work in Sanford.

I noticed it was your first post, dchanceafs, welcome aboard. What brought you to CNCZone?

Hello,
I was just wondering if there where any other members near Hickory, North Carolina.
CNCRob, now that your wedding is part of history, are there still plans for a NC CNC BBQ???

It's a small world...,

HayTay

HPbyGD
07-23-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm in Statesville
Gary

dchanceafs
07-23-2006, 11:40 PM
HayTay, I'm building a cnc router for sign making and also for hobby use. I have a friend machining my parts for exchange of help doing the computer work on his cnc plasma cutter. Where you work in sanford? I have an office in the penical building across the street from hams. I have found a ton of parts over at lee iron and metal, but you can only go there from 12:15 - 12:45 now.

HayTay
07-24-2006, 07:30 PM
HayTay,
Where you work in sanford?
I work for Imaging Supplies Co., Inc. (http://www.imagingsuppliesco.com/) Maybe a half mile from you up Horner Blvd., on the same side of the street, across from Bojangles and Hardees.

The heck with Alltel, a couple of tin cans and a string and we'd be all set.

:cheers:,

HayTay

CNCRob
07-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Isn't it pretty cool when you find out someone is fairly close to you and you never knew it. I think so far Beone is the closet to me. He only lives a few miles away. As for the NC CNC BBQ; I would probably still be up for it if anyone has any ideals.

toolworks
07-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Well I will get on the band wagon too! I live in Hildebran(between Hickory and Morganton) I have a full time shop . CNC milling ,Tig welding ,Mig welding Prototype Machining. Running BOB CAD 21 Software.Do work for Blue Ridge Harley Davidson and several other manufacturing facilities in the area. trstoolworks@charter.net

GaryCorlew
07-25-2006, 09:02 AM
I live in Charlotte, Not far away at all

Steve@Reliance
07-26-2006, 07:54 AM
When I was an apprentice, we used to make parts for a local vault company. They would send over boxes with several hundred drills in them for resharpening. I was able to learn in high school to hand sharpen drills so I got the job of grinding all the drills for these guys. As the years went by and the shop grew I trained the other guys in the shop. Eventually, when you started on a job and went to collect all the tools you would need, you would grab your drills and grind them without even checking if they were sharp or not. Just so you knew they were sharp when you started. The guy who I worked for has been the manager of a cutter grinding shop in England before he opened up in Canada and he taught me what he knew about grinding tools. That became one of my most valuble skills and grinding a custom tool for a job was often a great time saver. (oops wrong thread!)

bryanrabb
08-21-2006, 11:33 AM
I live in Fort Mill, SC about 1 hour from Hickory, just up 321. I am in and around CLT and Gast every day. I am looking for someone who is more advanced than me to let me pick their brain. By more advanced, i mean anybody who knows anything about anything.

lakeside
08-21-2006, 11:34 AM
I live in Fort Mill, SC about 1 hour from Hickory, just up 321. I am in and around CLT and Gast every day. I am looking for someone who is more advanced than me to let me pick their brain. By more advanced, i mean anybody who knows anything about anything.
why not post any question you have here?

bryanrabb
08-21-2006, 11:39 AM
that would be too easy. I'd like to find someone with a home shop and would be willing to help me fab some parts for not a lot of money. I'd pay reasonable rates, afterall nothing worthwile is rarely ever free

lakeside
08-21-2006, 11:49 AM
You may have a local Vo-tech. that may have a night class. This is a great way to get the help you are looking for.

mrlabradog
10-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Rob,
I lived in Hickory for 40 years before moving to Seattle recently.I just joined the CNC site today and was surprised to see this post from "back home".
Alan

bigblock
11-02-2006, 07:59 PM
i am from lincolnton!just getting into benchtop cnc machines.

beone
11-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi Guys,
Still here. Just about finished with my busy season with the foundry. Did Hiddenite, Murrays Mill and then Hart Square. In between made patterns and signs on my CNC. I actually did some work in there. I am up for a bbq. We could meet at a restaraunt or somebody's house. Have some fun and share some knowledge. Lets do it soon.
Dave

jbrent
11-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Conover is mile or two nearby.

CNCRob
11-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi jbrent,
Is that where you located?

jbrent
11-13-2006, 02:32 AM
Hi Robbie,
Yes, that is home, I do my thing from a home workshop since retirement and disability came along.

bill south
11-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Hey Guys;
I live in sparkleburg (Spartanburg) or just outside in the Lake Bowen area. Question for everyone close to home. Where do you get your raw materials? Is there a surplus (junk) yard in the area which will let you pilfer through their products (junk). I love playing with my cnc lathemaster but the cost of materials from metal express has me shut down most of the time!!!! The only saving grace is ebay but somewhere close would be great.
Have a great day!
Bill
:cheers:
PS. Bought some great furniture in Hickory. Ex is still enjoying it!

Switcher
11-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Hey Guys;
I live in sparkleburg (Spartanburg) or just outside in the Lake Bowen area. Question for everyone close to home. Where do you get your raw materials? Is there a surplus (junk) yard in the area which will let you pilfer through their products (junk). I love playing with my cnc lathemaster but the cost of materials from metal express has me shut down most of the time!!!! The only saving grace is ebay but somewhere close would be great.
Have a great day!
Bill
:cheers:
PS. Bought some great furniture in Hickory. Ex is still enjoying it!

Hey, I work in Spartanburg. Good to see someone from the same area! :)

jbrent
11-14-2006, 02:37 AM
Hi Bill
We have Mountain Recycling here in Hickory, to which I am a well known, frequent visitor, like a kid in a candy store. You may wander, select, cut or have cut your chosen treasures, weigh, pay and go. I buy a lot of my steel and aluminum there. Come pay us a visit.
jbrent

cerealkiller2
11-14-2006, 07:37 AM
From Monroe, NC just outside of Charlotte.

bill south
11-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks Guys;
Hey Switcher, nice to know someone is close if I get into real trouble with a "project". CNC is just a hobby for me but I'm learning!!!!!
Jbrent, thanks for the invite. I'll have to clean out the ole truck and pay you guys a visit. Need some Holiday Supplies!!!!
Have a good un!
Bill
:wave:

jbrent
11-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Bill
I installed a 2000 watt inverter in my truck so if the crans are busy I just find my own, cut it and checkout. This expidites material pickup and you get exactly what you want, not worthless end scrap. See you at the scrap pile.
jbrent

Whitesideentp
12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I live in Morganton. I am new to CNC and I just purchased a CNC machine recently. I haven't even set it up yet. I look forward to learning from reading these forums and maybe learning from someone in the area.

CJL5585
12-01-2006, 11:24 PM
I live in Morganton. I am new to CNC and I just purchased a CNC machine recently. I haven't even set it up yet. I look forward to learning from reading these forums and maybe learning from someone in the area.

I live off exit 94 of I-40. I have a Morganton mailing address.

I have a CNC that I built. Photos in link below.

http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/6778

I would be willing to help out.

Jerry

Whitesideentp
12-02-2006, 10:52 AM
I live off exit 94 of I-40. I have a Morganton mailing address.

I have a CNC that I built. Photos in link below.

http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/6778

I would be willing to help out.

Jerry
It's a small world. I stay on Hwy. 70 between exit 94 and 96. I have a Romaxx CNC and I'm dying to get it running. I need to find a cheap PC to run it though. I found out I can not run it with my spare laptop. I don't want to use my desktop because I want a dedicated computer for the machine.

Joe

bryanrabb
12-05-2006, 06:44 AM
go to the dirt malls on the weekend. AKA flea markets, jockey lots, etc. They usually have some cheap machines there.

CNCRob
12-05-2006, 09:22 AM
go to the dirt malls on the weekend. AKA flea markets, jockey lots, etc. They usually have some cheap machines there.

Yeah, you could see Greg (Gregs Computers) at the Jamestown flea market. Thats where I bought the computer to run my machine at. I found out he lives in the same neiborhood as me.

Whitesideentp
12-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Man....I hate when my internet goes down. I hate it even worse when it is for the whole day. Anybody else have trouble with their Charter highspeed internet?. Anyway, thanks for the advise guys on where to get a PC to run my CNC machine. I am supposed to meat with a guy who is going to show me some stuff since I am a newbie. Is anyone in here familiar with Romaxxcnc.com?

CNCRob
02-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Since this is a location based question I though I would ask it here. Does anyone know of any good places around here to buy a wood built utility building. Besides Lowes or Home Depot. I am looking for something that looks simular to the display they of the Rainbow End model at the Home Depot in Hickory. I was hoping to find a little better price. The base price is fair but after I add the things it takes to make it pass the county code it gets a little pricey. Thanks - Robbie

Whitesideentp
02-08-2007, 09:31 PM
You will probably have better luck contracting someone to build the building for you. I used to do construction so I have a little knowledge on the matter. The mark-up on those building are outrageous!! For a building they sell for $5,000 I could build myself for about $1,500. And better quality too.

CNCRob
02-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks Whitesideentp,
I will keep that in mind.

greatscott
02-25-2007, 10:55 PM
I just purchased a 5' X 10' CNC Router table. I have no experience at all and now I realize I am over my head. I am looking for somebody who has some experience running a CNC router and would be willing to come out and spend a day or two working with me.. I just need some basics to get going.

I'm willing to pay by the day plus any travel expenses..

Somebody with any experience will know more than me. I'm looking to do this quickly..

please email me at greatscott1271@yahoo.com

CNCRob
06-01-2007, 09:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of any cnc job openings in the Hickory area?

frog
01-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I am heavy into diy CNC routers have even built my own controllers as well as gantrys from solid steel if you need help getting it going, call me 910-515-4612 or email kd4ffd@yahoo.com

frog
01-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Since this is a location based question I though I would ask it here. Does anyone know of any good places around here to buy a wood built utility building. Besides Lowes or Home Depot. I am looking for something that looks simular to the display they of the Rainbow End model at the Home Depot in Hickory. I was hoping to find a little better price. The base price is fair but after I add the things it takes to make it pass the county code it gets a little pricey. Thanks - Robbie

There is a place in Shelby that sells wood built buildings, I think that they are made in Rutherfordton NC. it is off 221 or the sales center is in shelby on hwy74

beone
01-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi, this is Dave in Hickory (Mtn View). Any of you local guys planning to go to the Mach3 con in Feb? I will be there start to finish and think it would be great if we could get together.
Dave

HayTay
01-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi, this is Dave in Hickory (Mtn View). Any of you local guys planning to go to the Mach3 con in Feb? I will be there start to finish and think it would be great if we could get together.
Dave

Yep! I'm all signed up and ready to go. A bunch of us (GliderGider, webwizard2, beone(?), myself, etc.) are planning on bringing down a zebra or something and gathering around a local watering hole Saturday night if anyone is interested. Does anyone know a decent place in Knoxville that serves 'zebra or something' and a beverage or two to wash it down?

CU There,

frog
01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Dave

I am planning on going, I am in Forest City NC about 3 1/2 hour drive from here.

SmoothOperator
02-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey Man! I'm a new student in the school of CNC operation. Would like to be associated with someone who is experienced in the practice. I have used the old program "G-Mover" in the past. Now, I am using Mach3. On my job, I use a CNC Router/DigitalTool. Have learned alot but eager to learn more. Anyone in the SanJose/SantaClara area, let me know.

Thanx for ur time!
"SmoothOperator"

beone
02-14-2008, 12:45 PM
What part of North Carolina is SanJose/SantaClara in? I don't recall it being near Hickory.

beone
02-14-2008, 12:49 PM
What part of NC is SanJose/SantaClara in? I dont recall it being near Hickory!

Switcher
02-14-2008, 12:53 PM
What part of NC is SanJose/SantaClara in? I dont recall it being near Hickory!

I bet it's on the coast. ;)

emtffkev
03-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Bummer seems like most of the fellow carolina CNC'ers are a fair bit west of me...

I'm in Tarboro and according to Google Maps thats about 4 hours away :(

Anyone in the eastern NC area or close to Raleigh?

maxboostbusa
03-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Im in Winston Salem.

fpworks
04-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Clayton here!

SmoothOperator
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Been a minute! but.... San Jose/SantaClara is in California. Don't know how it got confused. Maybe being new to the forum, I hit the wrong button somewhere. Anyway.....hope that clears things up.

trey88
05-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Live and work in Asheboro, NC. 30 mins south of greensboro and a prolly 20ish miles west of siler city.

wud35
09-05-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm in winston Salem. Just getting into cnc, cad/cam.

SmoothOperator
09-05-2008, 10:19 AM
If you're just getting started with CNC-CAD/CAM it can be a little challenging at first. But, once you start applying some of the knowledge(just like with anything else), it gets easier. One bit of advice ,is ; read as much of the instruction manuals as you can, definatley come to this forum for advice as you need it(the members are very knowledgable and willing to help). Also,don't get ahead of yourself, take it a step at a time til the big picture is clear. Even when you learn enough to operate the machinery, there will always be more to learn to take it a step further.

Hope these words are encouraging to you and any of the other new CNC operators out there.

Go4It................

Motchmanoo
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi, i am located in Louisville, new member at cnc zone, but i run a cnc dept. we have one fanuc wire edm and one OKK MILL with 5o taper, 3 robo drills and 2 480 swiss lathes. i do program and run them along with other guys. if i can help any way let me know.

Thanks
Motchmanoo

cnc_builder
10-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi,

I just moved to CHapel Hill, NC. I will like to meet more people in CNC hobby. I built two CNC with a friend and I designed my own. I have most of the parts now.

jblomberg
03-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Hello,

I am in Mt. Airy. A bit of a stretch to Hickory I suppose, but I am looking for a mentor.

Thanks,
John

CNCRebuilder
03-15-2009, 01:25 AM
Hello fellow Carolinaians:
Mountain CNC'er here
Hendersonville, Just south east of Trashville.
Have service van with Johnson City to Burlington autopilot built in. Very knowledgeable in Job Shops, Restaurants, Fishing Holes from Asheboro, Burlington, upstate of South Kackalacka and Eastern TN.
Oh yea-- I fix cncs too !
"I drive 85 on I85 And 40 on I40"
Please save the endangered species "NC & SC Job shops".

iflyos
04-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Brand new to CNC anything and in Pfaftown, NC..between Winston Salem and King, NC. I am looking to build a CNC router to cut foam, for airplanes, of course!

Tim
AG4RZ

judleroy
05-03-2009, 02:54 PM
I live in welcome Nc. Been cncing for about 10 years.

flathead
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi all,

I just stumbled onto this thread and I'm pleasantly suprised how many of you are close by. I live in Hudson, only 20 minutes north of Hickory. I'm fairly new to CNC and machining. I have just set up my Industrial Hobbies mill in the garage and am making a few chips. I would love to get together will some of you guys to share ideas and such. I'm sure I would learn a lot.

We should organize something.

rgoldner
08-05-2009, 12:45 AM
flathead, I live in Granite Falls Just a small town south of you. We should get together. I have a Bridgeport clone that I CNCed. Also have a small Solsylva and a Joe's 4X4 hybrid.

My email is rgoldner AT iname DOT com