PDA

View Full Version : NEW, Have a question

madthrillzchill
10-26-2010, 07:50 AM
Didn't know where to wuit ask this so here it goes.

Could you take a 3 Axis CNC machine set up, change out the software, and change out the CNC head assembly (router, Dremel, Pretty much the assembly you have put on there to cut) and replace it with an assembly to melt ABS plastic/Polycarbonate? Basically a 3d Printer. I've seen one thats relatively cheap, like 1000 USD. But I've seen some that are about 15000. I was thinking the 3 axis chasis could be the same but i'm new to CNC also and havn't even built a machine yet. Thanks for your help in advance

Dorsal
10-26-2010, 01:15 PM
3-axis CNC controls are the same, whether moving a pencil, a mill, a router or a lazer. Controlling the "printer head" (blob, drop, spray, whatever) is where you'd need to create a method.

madthrillzchill
10-27-2010, 04:22 AM
Thanks again,
That's what I was thinking. From what I understand, The head is heated to about 200 C and ABS or Polycarbonate is feed through there melted.... I'm sure there is more involved than that although I never thought I could build a CNC machine untill I started looking into it and researching. Thanks.

SPEEDRE
10-30-2010, 05:22 PM
It's an idea that intrigues all of us. I found this site that has free plans for a DIY 3d printer. All the information is free including schematics and mechanical specifications. Google RepRap, it's free.