PDA

View Full Version : trying to set up - motors not smooth

t2436jf
06-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi all, I'm new, just got my new Taig mini mill with CNC control.. it has steppers and I can't get them to run smooth.. I'm sure this is the first question every newbie asks so are thier any threads that you can point me to that will walk me through trouble shooting my problems.. I've followed the manual and done the OCX test.. which could be my problem. I have the steps per unit setup as instructed by the guy who built the controllers.. So i'm at a loss. I'm going to try using another computer tonight when I get home.. but until then.. i'm using a little of my boss's time to learn more..
thanks in advance
-John

DennisCNC
08-20-2005, 05:14 PM
I am at the same stage as you trying to get the motors to spin smooth. I thought it was the controller so, went to RadioShack and got a 555 timers and built it to test the controller. The motors run so smooth you can't tell they are steppers allmost. I have a very bad step signal for some reason and you prob also? So no I need to make another computer so it will only run Mach.

Dennis

Barker806
08-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Could you guys please try the "Sherline 1/2 Pulse Mode" on the ports and pins configuration setting. after you have changed the setting exit mach3 and get back into Mach3. Once you are back into the software check the motor tuning settings and give it a test! I have fixed this problem on a Taig by doing this. If it works i will tell you why and how it fixed it :)

Cheers,
Brian

DennisCNC
08-20-2005, 11:10 PM
I was messing with Mach2 now got Mach3 and selected the Sherline mode and motors run very smooth under 40 inch/min, I was just using a 12v wall adapter for testing. Will do some higher voltage testing tomarrow!

Thanks for the tip Brian!

DieGuy
08-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Is the controller a Xylotex based system? The vref settings on the contoller is crucial as is the cooling of the heat sinks.

DennisCNC
08-21-2005, 01:01 PM
No, I'm using one of these: http://dtllc.com/4xcnc10b.html

DennisCNC
08-21-2005, 02:37 PM
It's the driver board that it not good for this. It is full step deal. I have Centent cn0143 ustep drives, so I hoocked up one of these and motors run perfect. It's the same as a G201 drive.

DennisCNC
08-21-2005, 03:53 PM
John,

What kind of controller you have?

If it is not opto isolated I think it might be causing a problem from noise.

Like 4Xcnc board runs bad with Mach but the opto isolated Centent runs perfect!

Barker806
08-30-2005, 08:07 PM
I told you I would get back to you after you told me if it worked... I don't know if you got it working at high voltage but here is the problem...

Some drives (Not the high end drives) need to have a VERY LOOOONNNNGGGG step pulse . The Drives take so long that the computers signal must extended up to 20 times to get the drive to feel good. That is what the Sherline mode is for :) So if you had Gecko drives you would not need the Sherline mode. but You are never going to need the speed so if it runs HAVE FUN!!!

Well that is what the problem was and I know I didn't go into great depth but 90% just what to know when do I need it not (SO the opto's are to slow and it need a new Johnson rod) .

Have fun :)
Brian

DTLLC
08-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi all, I'm new, just got my new Taig mini mill with CNC control.. it has steppers and I can't get them to run smooth.. I'm sure this is the first question every newbie asks so are thier any threads that you can point me to that will walk me through trouble shooting my problems.. I've followed the manual and done the OCX test.. which could be my problem. I have the steps per unit setup as instructed by the guy who built the controllers.. So i'm at a loss. I'm going to try using another computer tonight when I get home.. but until then.. i'm using a little of my boss's time to learn more..
thanks in advance
-John

Set the Minimum Pulse width and Direction Prechange settings under Motor Setup to 5 uSec and you should get smooth running.

Dave