PDA

View Full Version : mold making and aluminum concerns

philametal
10-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm working on a project where i am CNC'ing a 2 part mold out of MDf. The mold is about 1 foot x 2 feet. The mold itself has a few contours. The deepest of the contours goes down about 1.5 inches. I am looking to use this mold to press aluminum but I am not sure what type of aluminum i need. I am using a hydraulic press and the finished piece. The piece does not need any extreme strength as it is being used a decorative piece for the most part. Any suggestions? if im not explaining things enough or clearly please let me know so i can explain...... im new to this.

packrat
10-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Some of the guys on this forum; Metal Meet Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://metalmeet.com/forum/index.php)
have talked about doing this. They make the die/mold then stack polyurethane rubber sheets and a steel plate and then press.

The urethane deforms down into the sheet metal and forms the design into the die. If making more than a few pieces you might consider a metal die, the MDF wears fast. The detail fades after a few parts.

cary

Cmailco
10-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Depending on the die geometry, 3003-H14 will probably be your best choice, though 1100 has slightly better formability.

Regards,
Chuck