PDA

View Full Version : Rams

brianh
06-21-2005, 12:51 AM
I have been using rams gold for over a year.
For the price I think it is a great deal, I use it a lot for signs, it V carves lettering perfectly.
It will also inport most popular solid file formats and does a nice job 3d machineing.
I use it with a shopbot PRT 96
You can demo it for 15 days to try it.

Brian

Harnettcycles.com

ynneb
06-21-2005, 01:52 AM
B4 I download the 15 day trial, what limitation does the trial have?

brianh
06-21-2005, 07:37 AM
The trial is fully functional You will be emailed a software key to activate the demo.
when I bought mine I got it with a dongle so I can move it around on my different computers.

ynneb
06-21-2005, 09:39 AM
I will give the trial a go.(21meg) http://www.rams3d.com/demo.htm

I must say after seeing the amature looking web site layout, I am dubiuos about the actual software. But as they say, you can never judge a book by its cover. (Even though most of us do)
I will report back and let you know how I go.

ynneb
06-21-2005, 09:55 AM
I have downloaded it and need to wait for a key to be emailed to me. It is not automatically emailed by computer.
Why the hell do they make a customer give them all their details just to try out their software. I dont see them giving out thier home address to me.:) They obviously think it's my privilidge to test out thier software. I guess I will see.

ynneb
06-22-2005, 09:01 AM
24 hours now, and still no reply, or key sent from them.
Gee they havn't even got my money yet, and they are taking their time. I wonder how long they would take for backup if I did buy the package.
I intend to make this a semi review, just of the trial version at least.

So far so slow.

cncadmin
06-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Don't be so down on the software, anyone can have a glossy website, It took about a day for my demo lic, but I got it.

turmite
06-22-2005, 05:07 PM
I did the trial download last year and it took them about a day to email me my key. I will say this for the software, it was without a doubt the easiest software to use for 4 axis that I have tried. I made the decision not to purchase when I could not get linear toolpaths. I could only get rotary paths and that is not a path I want to go down right now.

Mike

ynneb
06-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Don't be so down on the software, anyone can have a glossy website, Very true :) I guess I was just surprized at the site since they say "RAMS has become the leader in the industry of CAM software." I suppose I had other expectations about how thier site should look. During this review I intentd to log initial responces / observations too.
I must say I am really quite keen to see how well this software works. At present they are selling it off the site for half the retail price. If it works as good as they suggest then I think it could be a good cheap product.

I made the decision not to purchase when I could not get linear toolpaths. I could only get rotary paths and that is not a path I want to go down right now. I dont inderstand ? Are you saying that it could not make a gcode to cut a straight line, but could only make a tool path for curves? Very strange?

turmite
06-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Very true :) I dont inderstand ? Are you saying that it could not make a gcode to cut a straight line, but could only make a tool path for curves? Very strange?

Not at all. I was saying I could not get it to work. The gentleman that owns the company was very helpful and wrote me a sample program that was rotary. He told me it could be done other ways but I could never quite get it. Now to be perfectly honest, I was also looking at another cam package at the same time and it won the toolpath contest. It was not as easy to use as Rams and quite a bit more expensive. I have since quite looking and am having Dustin from DAB Designs do my modeling and gcodes. I know that I need a good cam program and will someday make that decision but for the time being I am extrememly satisfied the way things are working.

Mike

ynneb
06-23-2005, 08:48 AM
48 hours and no key yet.
I will send one more email just in case they didnt get it.
Very dissapointing so far.

RAMSSupport
06-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Ynneb,
Management @ RAMS searched the entire database of e-mails and they do not show an e-mail from you other than the one received this morning complaining about not getting a key. I looked as well and there is NO previous e-mail from you.

Jack.

RAMSSupport
06-23-2005, 02:25 PM
B4 I download the 15 day trial, what limitation does the trial have?

RAMS Demo is a fully functional copy. There is nothing turned off. However, the owner of the company decided last year to tighten up on the demo useage. There are no longer 15 day demos. Most demos last from 3 to 9 days...9 being the max. The demo is meant to simply show the interface and ease of use.

Jack.

RAMSSupport
06-23-2005, 02:46 PM
I have downloaded it and need to wait for a key to be emailed to me. It is not automatically emailed by computer.
Why the hell do they make a customer give them all their details just to try out their software. I dont see them giving out thier home address to me.:) They obviously think it's my privilidge to test out thier software. I guess I will see.

RAMS has a perfect right to know who uses their software. As well the RAMS Demo has full free support, just as the registered version. When you register the RAMS Demo, you are considered a RAMS customer during the demo useage.

RAMS also "knows" their customers as "People". Not as a "Number" unworthy of a human responce to their request for a key...or for help.

Regarding the last line of your message.... You're right. RAMS appreciates users wanting to try the software. We also feel privileged that you tried it. However, you should see the "free" use and "free" support as a privilege. Certainly, you may purchase RAMS at the end of the demo.... but again, you may decide not to.... either way, you have used RAMS Software, RAMS Support, RAMS Office Personell,... all for "free"... Yes, this should be looked at as a privilege.

Jack.

ynneb
06-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks Jack for your replys. I am glad you accepted my invitation to read through this thread.
I will resubmit for a key and see what happens.

While I guess we have got off to a bumpy start, I would like to draw your attention to some reviews I have already done
Examples of my reviews.
Vac clamp review http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7643&highlight=vac+clamp
Rutex driver card review http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&id=9

I still hope to do this review, and post ALL my observations along the way.

RAMSSupport
06-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Bumpy is correct. Keyboard diarrhea is a very common, highly contagious disease.

It seems the RAMS website dosen't suit you, Giving your information was apparently a hassle, and you can hardly wait for another hour to pass so you can run here and claim to have not received a key that from RAMS records, you didn't submit a request for.

Whew... I can imagine the review! Especially when I read a message from you earlier left here at the cnc zone that you are doing a software guide but "don't know all the facets of this type of software". That should be good.

Jack.

ynneb
06-23-2005, 10:40 PM
.....and you can hardly wait for another hour to pass so you can run here and claim to have not received a key that from RAMS records, you didn't submit a request for.
It seems you also have a tendancy for embelishing the truth so as to make your standing not look so bad.
Um ........er........ 48 hours to be precice. We both know I did submit a request for it.You even mentioned it to me in a private email.You said it was deleted because I asked a question in the application and you thought the question was dumb, so you just deleted it. Is that what you do with dumb questions that new users of your product ask?

I am wondering if the real reason you will not send me the key for the miserable 3 day trial is because you dont think it will stand up to any scrutiny?

cncadmin
06-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Ok guys this is geting off topic and a little out of hand, I'm closing this thread.