PDA

View Full Version : Star SNC - 15DX machine

Timq
10-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Hello,
I have a small shop with manual machines. I am looking into purchasing my first used CNC lathe and or mill. I came across a Star SNC 15DX machine in what looks like great condition. It is sitting in a barn under a good roof and the guy wants $2,000 for it and all that is with it, (manuals, some tooling). It is not under power. It doesn't look like it has many hours on it.
My big question is, it sounds too cheap to pass up even if i only have minimal use for it, (I can only think of 1 or 2 parts I make or have made I could use it for, at least for now).
Other concern is learning curve to set it up and use it, especially coming from minimal CNC use.
What do you think? Should I pass it up?
thanks
Tim

singlepoint
10-04-2010, 09:04 AM
These machines are great little swiss machines, but because they are Swiss they may not be the best to learn CNC programing on. You will need an extensive set of collets and bushing. You might be better off finding an Omniturn or Accuslide. These are Hardinge lathes that are modified to use a CNC X/Z table. They are very common.

The Star SNC15DX is not that common. I have two. One working and one that is not that I bought for parts. If it is a running machine and in very good shape it would be worth 2 to 3 times what the guy is asking for. I suspect it may not be all there or it may have a spindle or servo problem. You also have to worry about the lose of the parameters. Often when they are in storage for any period of time the batteries drain and you could loose the memory.

If you are going to pass on this machine I would like a chance to get it and of course give you a finders fee. If you do want it I can help you through some of the issues you may have when you set it up. I'd like to talk. Feel free to give me a call. Bob at 973-625-7221.

dookie2022
10-05-2010, 05:42 PM
The machine is very old and if you have lost the parameters it would cost more to get it going than the price you paid for it

saboulhosn
03-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Did buy this machine?

singlepoint
03-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Yes

Hoveybill
01-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Hi.
I helped with the sale of this machine from you to my old business partner at Singlepoint. I hope you did well.
Do you remember the guy who originally had it? I'd like to contact him to see if he can get more machine like that one.