PDA

View Full Version : Clipping plane problems

johnsilver
09-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi all!

I have some problems with the clipping planes, hope someone can help out:

*Not being able to use the planes after moving them with the arrow keys. Madcam simply does not recognize the planes being moved, using the previous location instead of the new one. Deleting the planes completely and recreating them with new values fixes the problem, that is to say that Madcam can see the new planes, but I am still unable to use the arrow keys.

*After using clipping planes and opening a new file with out closing Rhinoceros I am unable to create new clipping planes. After a complete restart of Rhinoceros the clipping planes appear as normal, but it is a tedious process having to restart every time I want to work on a new file.

Still learning =)

Btw, I´m using Rhinoceros 4 and Madcam 4.2

Regards

svenakela
09-14-2010, 05:59 AM
Hmm... I can test this tonight, but it sounds like you should send an e-mail to Madcam about it. I'll see if I can bring up some attention about it.

Dan B
09-14-2010, 09:25 AM
You didn't mention if this is a 3-axis or a 5-axis issue. I know there has been some issues in the past with clipping planes in 5-axis.

In 3-axis, you can move the planes with Rhino's move command. No matter where you move them (using the vertical option to make sure you are moving them up or down only) it works as it should. I've never been a fan of nudging with the arrows, so I don't do it, but I just tried in a test file and it worked as it should.

I just tested your second issue as well. Sorry to say, I can't reproduce your problem there either. I opened up a second Rhino (while the first was still open) and was able to create new clipping planes. I even nudged them and they changed the new path as expected.

What version are you using? (Go to the command prompt and type madcamcommand. Then type version. You should have a box pop up as shown in the attachment.)

Dan

svenakela
09-14-2010, 10:21 AM
I couldn't reproduce the behaviour either, I tried in a 3-axis environment. Opening and closing files went fine too.

What OS?

conny
09-14-2010, 04:45 PM
If not cutting plan is labeled it seems to work.

johnsilver
09-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Thank you for your replys. I have figured out how to make nudging behave; after moving them, just unselect them by clicking anywhere on screen. When I have a clipping plane selected after nudging it, the new position will not be recognized by Madcam.

@Dan B: It was set to 5-axis but the problem is still there with 3-axis selected. The problem with not being able to create new clipping planes accur when opening an existing file in the same window as you where previously working, with the "File/Open..."-command. Thanks

Dan B
09-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Hi JohnSilver,

Thanks for the clarification. You are correct. Opening (or making a new file) after using the clipping planes does not allow you to use them in the new file. Very strange. I will contact Joakim and see if he can look into this before he releases the new service release. Hopefully it's not too late.

Thanks,

Dan

svenakela
09-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi JohnSilver,

Thanks for the clarification. You are correct. Opening (or making a new file) after using the clipping planes does not allow you to use them in the new file. Very strange. I will contact Joakim and see if he can look into this before he releases the new service release. Hopefully it's not too late.

Thanks,

Dan

Hmm... Now when I retest it as you did I actually see the same behaviour. The clipping plane is not usable in the second model. It must have been introduced in a recent release as I'm sure I've been using planes in different files before.

Dan B
09-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Joakim is now aware of it. He's not sure at this point if a fix can be added for madCAM 4, but he does have it working correctly in madCAM 5. (madCAM 5 is still in progress, so don't waste any time trying to find a link for a download). Just have to be patient for now!

Dan