PDA

View Full Version : Dust Control

SPEEDRE
06-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Here's a question I've seen thrown about alot but with no real conclusions. How does one keep wood dust out of the lead screws, and why don't the nuts come with wipers preinstalled? I have it in my mind to mount my old shop vac under the bench and then run a hose up to the router bracket on a suspended wire with some small pullies attatched to the hose so as not to foul the movement. All well and good but, how well will it pick up dust at the cutter area? Are these motors in the vacs able to be throttled down with speed reducers used for wood routers? Any commemts and ideas are welcome. Let work together and solve this cruddy question for all our good. Thanks for any input we all will give. :cheers:

PaulH
06-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Have you considered adding a vacuum head around your router tip? Then all of the chips would be immediately sucked up instead of flying around.

chuckknigh
06-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Well, let's start with the fact that not all applications for ballscrews involve dusty/dirty environments. Among other places, they're found on the bottom of electrical hospital beds.

Fluids might be an issue...but dust certainly isn't.

Probably only a relatively few ballscrews end up in cutting tools like ours. So, why would they put an unnecessary part on them (thus raising the cost) by default?

I just wish better wipers were easily available.

-- Chuck Knight

sol
06-10-2005, 08:43 AM
related thread that title search misses...
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5799

SPEEDRE
06-10-2005, 04:06 PM
OK, so I missed that one. Some good ideas but few conclusions. Yes I know, all of us have different applications, different needs. I was hoping to get us all working together on this and create an aplications tutorial about dust management, noise control, the works. Still interested anyone? (group)

SPEEDRE
06-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I recently bought a Grizzly variable speed router and it came with a neat little dust grabber that fits on the base near the cutter, by the looks of it this item will solve the pick up issues very nicely. I think this issue is history. Over and out..

SPEEDRE
06-21-2005, 04:18 PM
I got a lot looking, but no responce. Whatzup with that?

ViperTX
06-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Whatzup is that there are alot of solutions....you can use springy, accordian, etc. rail covers....you can add wipers to the ball nuts and then there are all the dust collector options. You have to design a system for your needs.

PaulH
06-21-2005, 05:33 PM
SpeedRE - Your last post said "I think this issue is history." Why would you expect a response after that?

Jimmy Southern
06-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Good morning everyone. I am a newbe but I have been reading the posts on the zone and have not seen this idea before. If it is a repeat just ignore it. To keep the dust out of the leadscrews & off of the bearing shafts I was thinking of useing dryer vent hose, you know the slinky with a sleeve over it LOL, you can get it in several sizes and it is verrrry cheap! Let me know if anyone has tried this before. Thanks Jimmy

SPEEDRE
06-25-2005, 02:16 PM
SpeedRE - Your last post said "I think this issue is history." Why would you expect a response after that?
It's just an expression of solving an aspect of an idea or concept. Try not to be so harsh on a nubie I'm just a visitor here just like you!!! :(

dbtoutfit
04-17-2006, 02:59 AM
Good morning everyone. I am a newbe but I have been reading the posts on the zone and have not seen this idea before. If it is a repeat just ignore it. To keep the dust out of the leadscrews & off of the bearing shafts I was thinking of useing dryer vent hose, you know the slinky with a sleeve over it LOL, you can get it in several sizes and it is verrrry cheap! Let me know if anyone has tried this before. Thanks Jimmy

I was here looking for an idea for my new machine and i have to say out of all the ones i have heard/read this one sounds good to me, even with 3d since this size would fit over the pc being worked on or give as the Z sets down, would work for my 3d apps anyway :). Also with the width you would not have to worry about pick-up even with vcarving etc plus they give so when you drill holes the hose gives and stays against the surface. (Clear hose would be nice) I would think with plexi glass, maybe could add memory foam around the rim of the hose.

I will be working with this idea and post images.

BTW how do I get images directly onto my posts do i need to upload them to my profile first? either way I can atleast pull them from my server with a hyperlink so they can be viewed.

randyf1965
04-17-2006, 09:18 AM
When you are posting , down past the submit button ther eis a button labeled 'Manage Attachments'. Click it and follow the instructions