PDA

View Full Version : Oh %#&! > I think I screwed up! Help!

Buzz2
06-06-2005, 11:37 PM
I had the Centroid (M15) controller off of the mill today and mistakingly swapped the Y motor cable with the Z when I put it back on. Well it wouldn't go to Home position when booted up, so we found the swapped cables and switched then back and rebooted, but now it won't jog in Y!. It reads an error about the Y- limit tripped. Now I'm the one trippin'!
Somebody PLEASE tell me i didn't fry the $ motherboard!!
Can I possibly reset the travel limits.............. or something?
Thanks for any help out there...

HuFlungDung
06-06-2005, 11:51 PM
So did you try moving the Y axis the opposite direction, to get it off the limit? If it thought it was homing the Z axis when you had the cables switched, it probably ran the Y all the way to one end.

Buzz2
06-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Thanks Hu!
I see the Y limit switch error on bootup regardless of table position. Jogging X & Z seem normal, Y only "bumps" a little--just like its on the limit switch-but it is 8 inches away!
Note: While the cables were swapped I did try to jog the Z down and the table moved about 3" in Y+ instead. Do you think it might have damaged the limit switch?-can I unplug or jump across it to test it? Would the Z motor circuitry be different enough to cause damage to the Y circuit??
It is a taiwan mill with handwheels. X handwheel is "froze" in position. But Y is free-(but drags a little in Y+.)
It appears the controller is reading the limit switch as tripped and hopefully I can reset it. Any ideas how anyone???
Thanks for any help!

Buzz2
06-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks to the good guys at Centroid (Scott) who assurerd me that it was a bad connection- I dug further and found a bad pin in the control cable.
All good now--- Man, I was sick!= lesson #1: Be careful with the wiring!