PDA

View Full Version : imachining

mattpatt
08-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Anyone had any experience with imachining?

I'm buying a new machine soon so may consider it. I'm talking to the guys on Monday about it as they demo'd it at the last Metalex exhibition in Bangkok.

Piobaire
10-26-2010, 02:06 PM
... looking gooooooodddd..... !!

dengo
10-27-2010, 12:11 AM
I've seen it running and it looked nice enough and simple to get a toolpath but I'm sure we'll have to pay a premium for it.
Not seen a job off the machine but the toolpaths looked good, looked a bit like trochoidal to me and I've only seen 2.5D examples so I don't know if its any good on 3D parts, just fancy pocket milling.

Brakeman Bob
10-27-2010, 02:54 AM
It hasn't been demo'd in the UK yet but from what I have seen it is aimed at the mould & die market. OpenMind have already responded with HyperMAXX - I had an email today inviting me to a demo next month.

I have heard that the release date for SolidCAM 2011 (which includes iMachining along with some other goodies) is January. But don't hold your breath....

MKproto
10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Just finished making a quick video with I-machining last night. Little mini mill was running at 14900 RPM and feeding over 600 IPM in some areas. at a depth of .7" with a 3/8" tool.. part was two odd shaped islands, 6"x2.5"x1" with the islands approx 2"x1" and 1.5x.75" the rest of the material was removed.. inn well 2 min 9 seconds...

mattpatt
10-27-2010, 10:26 PM
All sounds exciting stuff.

MKproto, can we see this video?

MKproto
10-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Sorry I cant post the video as it is not mine, but that one possibly and some more are sure to be on the way. Last year I had a titanum part programmed and was cutting at 145IPM at 5300 RPM, and the tool lasted for over 500 Parts. (small Part) but the previous tool patch being used took twice as long and the roughing tool (smae tool) lasted for about 300 parts. Big difference in time and cost savings on tooling.

MKproto
11-01-2010, 04:09 PM
you guys win. They caved in!

Here is the video link..

YouTube - Test cutting

2004 Haas super Minimill
15k SPindle, HSM.
3/8" Accupro 5 flute endmill 1" loc

This machine runs off of a 25 HP phase converter in my garage.

Matt

mattpatt
11-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the video....looking good.

pinguS
02-24-2011, 03:54 AM
Hey all,

After another post, we have decided to just upgrade, so will be getting Version 2010 and then 2011 when it releases, however this "iMachining". Is it actually going to be a add on, (basically more money) or is it something Solidcam will be including. The only thing I stated we didn't need was the 5 axis module, so hopefully it should be with it. Video's show some good stuff.

After calling Solidcam UK, i searched their website and this is is when I discovered this iMachining stuff. I would have phoned back, but the guy on the other end did seem like he was about to fall asleep any second, and he was doing all the talking !!

Piobaire
02-24-2011, 09:09 AM
It will be an add-on for more money, but if You're making alot of high volume cuts it's re-paid very fast. Please ask the UK guys for a demo or a trial and try it!

Best regards
/Piobaire

:cheers:

pinguS
02-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Yep, just called them, they said the same, but if your doing aluminium mostly, then the payback will be longer.

So I think for us, it will probably be, it not free, then forget about it, we do not do enough milling to warrant extra cost, which will probably be a few grand, not couple of hundred quid (£'s)

hansdie
03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
you guys win. They caved in!

Here is the video link..

YouTube - Test cutting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3bmC8McXc4)

2004 Haas super Minimill
15k SPindle, HSM.
3/8" Accupro 5 flute endmill 1" loc

This machine runs off of a 25 HP phase converter in my garage.

Matt

So how is a guy with one Haas in his garage able to get imachining 5 months ago and I ,with more than 5 licenses and more than 10 high end 5x machines, still waiting for 3 years to see it? Last I heard was it will be available with SCAM 2011...yet to see that get released too...

Brakeman Bob
03-23-2011, 03:59 AM
It's been knocking about in Beta for over a year and if you want to test it at your own risk SolidCAM would give you a Development release. I have been offered one a couple of times but declined.

SolidCAM 2011 is the same old story, the release date gets put back and back and I wouldn't mind if the eventual release came out relatively bug-free. The last I heard SC2011 will be released at the end of this month. But don't hold your breath!

69owb
04-18-2011, 10:39 PM
My local reseller just sent me some very good videos showing me iMachining. He said that it has just been released in SolidCAM and will be in the next release of InventorCAM (the package I have) in about 3 to 4 months. I am pretty excited as the videos really look good. He also told me that since I already have the 2.5D Pro version, I will automatically get this feature at no additional charge.

http://download.solidcam.us/04_iMachining/1-Introduction.wmv

http://download.solidcam.us/04_iMachining/Aero_Aluminum.wmv

http://download.solidcam.us/04_iMachining/housing_pocket_compare.wmv

http://download.solidcam.us/04_iMachining/FeedSpeedWizard.wmv

http://download.solidcam.us/04_iMachining/Controlled_Step_Over.wmv

http://download.solidcam.us/04_iMachining/RoughRestFinish.wmv

MKproto
04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Here is a video I made today. 3 flute 3/16" accupro endmill .3"-.54" doc depending on level. Not super aggressive, but feeds upto 120 IPM, and radial step overs .001-.043". I started it wih coolant but you could not see it cutting so I switched it over to the air blast.

YouTube - Solidcam i-machining

machred23
07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
All,

I have been working with Solidcam on beta testing iMachining for the past year. I actually was so impressed with their new technology that when I changed companies in November of last year I convinced my new employer to take a look at solidcam. We ended up purchasing a new license for the company and then I continued to beta test iMachining. I have been using it for well over a year now and have machined 50-100 different parts with multiple iMachining toolpaths in the program.

When viewing the videos most people see some cool tool paths for pocketing, however iMachining is so much more than just a new pocketing routine. I have used iMachining to pocket, profile, face, and just about any other type of cut you could imagine. For those of you who have used trochoidal milling in the past, it is somewhat of a similar tool path. However there is a very distinct difference between iMachining and regular troichodal milling. iMachining gives the user control over many different variables that control the toolpath, but the wizard that Solidcam developed is so intuitive that you really don't need to adjust anything. As an example I just recently machined a fairly deep pocket in a large aluminum part. It was a 3.5" x 3.0" rectangular pocket that was 4.25" Deep. I used a 3/4" 3 Flute Endmill and I was taking depth cuts of 1.6" at between 56 and 78 IPM. That is the other nice thing about iMachining, the software outputs variable feeds and speeds based on the geometry, the depth of cut, and the radial engagement of the tool. I originally programed this pocket with a 3 Flute 1.0" Insert Mill, taking .200" depth cuts, the cycle time was about 58 mins. In Comparison the iMachining tool path was 11 mins.

Long story short Solidcam has developed what I anticipate to be the new standard in material removal strategies. Providing faster cycle times, longer tool life, and faster programming time. This is what every machine shop needs to stay competitive in today's market!

Piobaire
07-22-2011, 12:16 PM
I can't agree more, there is so much more then just the toolpaths. Compare iMachining to dynamic milling from Mastercam and see the usabillity and easy handled power. I just hope no other companies in my area looks at it, so I could be alone in the fast lane some more time... :D

ANVIL DESIGN
07-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I recently purchased a SolidCAM 2.5D Standard package that does not contain the iMachining feature. I was told by my reseller that they are currently having a sale on a few upgrades and I could get into the 2.5D Pro package which does include iMachining for a very good price. I am really liking the SolidCAM package and how it works with SW so far. I have been doing some contract programming with it up in the Dakotas and Minnesota. Do you guys think the upgrade would be worth it?

Piobaire
07-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Hi Anvil!
Depends what you do...

If you have much cutting, like pockets with alot of material to remove, iMaching will repay in notime. That because iMachining calculates the correct feed depending on the actual contact angle of the mill tool. First cut in a pocket its 180 degrees and slow feed, next lap with 50% overlap the contact angle decreases to 90 degrees and the feed could be increased.

Then iMachining also calculates the optimum depth of the mill tool depending on flute angle to always have minium 1 complete flute in cutting contact. That means that one flute is not leaving the material to cut before the next comes in contact = less vibrations and possibility to increase feed even more.
All this in a beatiful wizard package, just select your machine (spindle speed + spindle power etc), material, tool and how hard you want to go staged from 1 to 10. Then just RUN !

You'll not believe first time you see it, 25mm downstep with a 6mm cutter in steel... You just say to yourself that tool will break as soon as the tool have reached down 10-15mm. But it survives and just work the material off.

Make the pocket in just one 25mm cut instead of stepping it with 5 steps of 5mm = 5 times longer tool life. Use the whole cutting length of the tool instead of wearing off the 20% at the end. Also iMachining never leaves the tool in wear with too small cutting width at low feeds that will wear the tool edge in notime.

List price = definately worth it if you make material removal.
Better price = A bargin !
Good luck!

Piobaire
07-27-2011, 06:18 PM
I must also add a comment...
When I talk to collegues and other machinery folks, almost everyone invest very much money in late and best machinery hardware they could afford: And then uses none, or low priced crappy CAD/CAM. Hardware and software must be adapted and invested as a complete solution for what you intend to do with it to get best performance for the money. Paying for software is a bit hard, all you get is a DVD for alot of money. But just think about what that software could do for productivity and quality. In many cases you earn more money with good software then a brand new machine.

maparkopo
07-28-2011, 07:59 AM
A lot of money for machines, a little less for software and "NO" money for people who works with those things.I think with my almost 25 years of experience in CAD/CAM industry that this ranking should be like this:

1. a very experienced CAD/CAM personal who is capable to do things
occurate and fast
2. good software that makes things posible and takes as much as posible out
of the personal who is using it in as less time as posible
3. CNC machines

A lot of people is buying machines to produce more,to be faster and cheaper, but they all forget that people are running those mashines.The same is with computers and software.I read many times on this forum that some guys don't even know the basic things about CAD/CAM software and how the things are to be done.So rather to buy a new machine, send the personal to different CAD/CAM courses, to learn more about the proces.And that will be good invested money, with better results then buying a new machine.When you have good educated and experieced personal then buying a new machine is a pleasure and it will be running at fool speed in a week and that is saving money.
Good engineers are still too cheap !!!!!

ANVIL DESIGN
08-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks Piobaire, that helps. I agree with you completely about software. Better software is definitely an investment that has paid off for my business! I have been pretty impressed with the iMachining and recently came across this video:

‪iMachining By SolidCAM. Amazing Machining (Steel)‬‏ - YouTube

With the promo they have running right now to upgrade to their Pro version, I think it will be well worth the price.

hansdie
08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I guess Imachining would be nice if it ever gets off of Beta! Been waiting 3 years.

mattpatt
09-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Watching Youtube all I see is 2D imachining, but watching the Soldicam Professor I see he has 3D imachining, but have yet to see any examples of this.

What's the truth?

Next Saturday I'll be at my supplier's place as they're having an imachining demo. Exciting!!!

Aussie_CNC
09-22-2011, 07:59 AM
In SolidCAM 2011, only access to 2D iMachining, 3D iMachining will be released in SolidCAM 2012.

If it's the first live demo of iMachining you've seen, you'll be amazed! :) ...easily the best module SolidCAM have ever produced!

Let us all know what your impressions are!

mattpatt
09-22-2011, 08:42 AM
I've only ever seen the stuff on the web, so it will surely be fun to see it in real time.

And even better than that, they always supply us with Gin & Tonic when we're there ;-)

MKproto
09-22-2011, 09:11 AM
I've only ever seen the stuff on the web, so it will surely be fun to see it in real time.

And even better than that, they always supply us with Gin & Tonic when we're there ;-)

I have to go to your reseller. As long as it is tanqueray.

I will have some new videos to post next week with the new machine we just installed.

Brakeman Bob
09-23-2011, 02:59 AM
3D iMachining would be something I'd be very interested in. From what I have seen on the current module it's just the thing for people doing smallish parts with lots of pockets. For bigger parts with hardly a 2D profile on them I remain to be convinced.

Another thing that niggles me is how much support from the tooling people will it get? iMachining strives to keep at least three flutes in contact with the part at all times, that's part of how it maintains tool stability. So if yo have a pocket in Aluminium 100mm deep with 5mm rads in the corners where do you get a very long Ø8 Ali geometry slotdrill capable of releasing what iMachining has to offer?

I know this is an extreme application and the money lies in the bread n'butter stuff at about 3 to 6 x D, but it is the main application for 2D iMachining on our parts. But 3D iMachining - now you're talking.

Aussie_CNC
09-23-2011, 04:05 AM
I'm not sure I'd say iMachining strives to keep at least three flutes in contact. Strives to use all the flute maybe, but that doesn't mean you have to use tools with flutes lengths to match the pocket depth. The ACP feedback is used to provide information on the stability of the cut (using a traffic light approach), and a bigger ACP isn't necessarily better, ideal (green) is a whole number. Eg. ACP of 2.0 is much better than ACP of 2.5. From experience, even in a poor ACP condition (red), iMachining still performs well. Remember that the Technology Wizard takes all of the information into account, so if your tool doesn't have the ideal flute length or helix angle, it doesn't matter, it will split the cuts and adjust feeds and speeds to suit the tooling.

l u k e
09-27-2011, 10:10 AM
So does anyone know the cost of this? I sent a request for info but never got a response.
I see you can get a free download, is there a time limit on how long it can be used for free?

Aussie_CNC
09-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I think the free download is the demo version, in which case it's not time limited, but you can't output gcode. If you're main interest is iMachining, then I suggest giving the SolidCAM guys a call and asking for an evaluation that allows you to produce gcode. iMachining is most impressive when run on the machine, so you won't see the full benefit with the demo version!

l u k e
09-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks Aussie.

Can someone give me a roundabout number of its cost? I have never priced Solidworks so really I'm just interested in how many "thousands" I would be looking at, I don’t are about the exact number.

TheCamMan
09-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Luke you should be able to get SolidWorks for around 4-5 grand.

l u k e
09-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Do they sell it as a Cad/Cam package for 5k?

TheCamMan
09-27-2011, 03:47 PM
sorry no SolidWorks is strictly a CAD system.

l u k e
09-27-2011, 10:22 PM
OK, dang, what is the price of Imachining?

mxgreg
09-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Hi guys. I've been in SolidWorks for three years. Just got IMachining last week. Pretty easy learning curve from SolidWorks. Phenomenal one-on-one tech support. The on-line videos will teach you 95% in an evening.
Watching a machining operation for the first time is an adventure similar to the "Reno Air Races", without the crash. We have been running an aluminum pocketing job on Fadals for 15 years. The run time has been 22 minutes. Typical chirping in the corners; motor red-lining in the corners. The job now runs in 9 minutes, and the motor never exceeds 40%, and I have not wore a tool yet in three days of cutting (1/2" EM 2" LOC). I'm a believer. Hopefully my competitors in the neighborhood don't catch on.

l u k e
09-29-2011, 01:34 PM
What does it cost?????:

mxgreg
09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
What does it cost?????:

I think I'm into it for a little under 5K with support for a year. It will pay for itself by the end of next week.

l u k e
09-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Any yearly fees?

mxgreg
09-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Only if you want continued support and updates.

Aurongroove
12-04-2011, 08:35 PM
hy guys, sorry for the insane post, but I'm at my wits end! and i though I;'d try and see if the internet could come to my rescue.

I'm doing a job dictating some iMachining instructional videos to text for a company. one thing that keeps getting mentioned is something which sounds like "hous Kad"

I don't need to know what this is although at this stage i caould nearly write thesis on what you can view in it; I only need to know how to correctly spell whatever in blazes it is. help?

dengo
12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
hy guys, sorry for the insane post, but I'm at my wits end! and i though I;'d try and see if the internet could come to my rescue.

I'm doing a job dictating some iMachining instructional videos to text for a company. one thing that keeps getting mentioned is something which sounds like "hous Kad"

I don't need to know what this is although at this stage i caould nearly write thesis on what you can view in it; I only need to know how to correctly spell whatever in blazes it is. help?

I'm guessing it's "Host CAD" for the simulation.

Aurongroove
12-04-2011, 08:47 PM
:tired: now that you sat it... D'oh!.

thanks! well I hope all your machining goes, ehh.. smoothly and with a good step-over. I'm off to finish these dam tapes.:D