PDA

View Full Version : Journeyman 325 tree mill

ramsey321
07-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Can anyone help me? I am trying to figure out how the J325 is wired from the incoming phase converter. In the control box on the mill there is the main switch which turns on the main power on the mill but it isnt marked in any way so i am not sure how to wire this up from my phase converter. Several people told just to wire it up and see if it works but i am afraid of blowing something. Can i hook this up without hurting the machine? Thanks

slatsmith
08-01-2010, 05:31 PM
the machine will have fuses to protect it...a breaker in line between the converter and the machine is a good idea..get a meter on your Phase converter legs when it is fired up ... check and see how far your (wild leg) is off voltage .... +/- 5% is acceptable ....if over that you may pop a fuse ... not a big deal get another fuse ..might wanna check the fuses first to see they are good.. if the machine runs backwards ,swap 2 of the legs ... go for it ....be careful saftey wise

ramsey321
08-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I will give it a shot.

underthetire
08-05-2010, 10:43 AM
This isn't some POS manual machine. If you get it wrong, it will not just "pop a fuse". You run the risk of burning up a NLA spindle drive, a 1200.00 power supply, or multiple boards or servo amps. This could all easily happen from overvoltage and the fuse may never "pop". J series with dynapath are happy right around the 220 volt range, 230 being on the high side, and really don't like to be lower than 208. Call Bob Norman at ZPS if you have a stinger leg, ask him what tap to put it on on the main. From what i've seen in the past, the old buzz box inverters don't really work too well on these machines, the rotary's seem to work better. Times and technology have changed so i'm not to sure about the newer style phase converters.

athis
08-10-2010, 05:19 PM
I've hooked mine up with a 10hp rotary phase converter. I will gladly post pictures of my set up if it helps.