PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! No cut moves / air moves

pinguS
07-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Just a quick one,

If you are doing a profile operation, can you reduce air moves. Let me explain,

Lets say I have a 35mm Diameter part in a collet on a VMC. I want to mill and square shape of 32mm. so thats 1.5 of each 4 sides. I have just programmed directly onto the VMC to move the cutter in a square shape,
i.e. x- to x+ to y- to x- to y+, etc etc.. Considering I am cutting so little off, can I program in Solidcam to just move in rapid closer to the material then feed when cutting?

Does this make any sense? The shape I need to do is more complex, but just used the square to explain.

Harm

dengo
07-22-2010, 05:22 PM
A profile op doesn't consider what stock shape you have so will just machine the whole profile as sketched or selected.
A 3D or HSM op has more intelligence and will consider stock so you could choose to work on just the faces you need to or to rapid across gaps.
Other than that you could produce a sketch for your profile that literally cuts across the corners...........

pinguS
07-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Ok I've looked at the HSM option, and is this complex or what.

I have attached a pdf of what I was on about earlier, can you please give the pointers for HSM, i.e. the options I should be looking at, because I do not understand it at all. Even when I try to select faces, it just makes them yellow and thats it.

Just need a quick guidance on the options I should select.

note: the grey circle is just a 2d boundary for the stock material I used, which is the same as the rounded ends diameter, so only the flats need milling. This is from top of shape, so the cutter will move is a square shape.

can you help...

Brakeman Bob
07-27-2010, 03:08 AM
You can control how the tool approaches a profile geometry but changing the values in the "Links" tab.See the screen capture attached. If you want to change the safety distance for everything, change "safety_dist" in the MAC file.

I have (minor) issues with HSM because in certain scenarios it doesn't let you control the approach points. HSM is primarily aimed at the Mould & Die market and in terms of 2D can be a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I know it has it's aficionado's (you know who you are :rolleyes: ) and it is a lovely bit of kit but to my mind it can be over complex.

mattpatt
07-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Had a quick play

If you use 2D profile, selecting each of the flat face 'lines' as the geometry you'll get 4 'chains'.

In 'levels'. select your lowest face as the clearance level, and the same for your upper level. Profile depth will be zero.

This means that the tool will stay at the profile depth and not move in Z axis.

In 'links' use the tangent option for lead in and out and select a distance that will allow your cutter to rapid from the end of the first chain to the start of the second chain without hitting the part.

If, for example, you uses a 20mm cutter you'd want to use about 7mm in the tangent box. This figure will give over 0.5mm clearance but if your machine does not rapid in a linear fashion then you may hit the part, in which case you could edit these rapid moves by changing the G00 to a G01 and adding your maximum feed rate, in the same way that HSM would do.

However, you say your part is more complex than this, so maybe this is of no help.