PDA

View Full Version : Rub-A-Dub-Dub - Washing Aluminum

JavaDog
05-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Ok, silly question of the day.

When I get all my Aluminum stock it is usually pretty filthy. What is the best way to wash it? Just hot water? Dish soap and hot water? Xylene?

Seems silly, but I would hate to wash it and have it start to pit and ruin it.

Halfnutz
05-30-2005, 11:29 AM
I sand mine off with a light paper.

MBG
05-30-2005, 12:06 PM
hot etch then put in deoxidize water then rinse. The hot etch will eat off anything but put it only in there for about 30 seconds.

Halfnutz
05-30-2005, 06:31 PM
Heres what 5 mins with some fine sandpaper will do. You can see the diference before and after. Probably not even five minutes. After sanding it with finer and finer grades I coat it with regular McGuires Quick Wax to seal up the surface.

take a cut
05-30-2005, 08:23 PM
i dont know what size your parts are although at our shop we use a dishwasher and reqular dish soap for some smaller parts and it works great

CRFultz
05-30-2005, 08:35 PM
3M scotch pad and a little dishwashing soap gives a nice clean finish. I usually rub it down with some kind of solvent on a rag, when it's dry I spray it with layout fluid to slow down the oxidation. May not be the best way but it works ok for me.
Chuck

ViperTX
05-31-2005, 01:20 AM
Javadog....the aluminum you're getting does not have "clear anodized" surface....so, wash it with mild detergent...you can even sand it.....you will have to anodize it....if you want it to stay "purty".....otherwise it will pit eventually.

mxtras
05-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Dog -

Try wiping it down with mineral spirits, do your surface prep ( I use Scotchbrite on a DA) then wipe it down with mineral spirits again then spray with silicone. OR - maybe you could clear it after it's prepped?

Scott

JavaDog
05-31-2005, 10:26 AM
I was planning on getting everything anodized eventually. Just a matter of cleaning off the grime.

Sounds like dish-soap and a scotch-brite are the easiest/cheapest ways of going about this.

Thanks!