PDA

View Full Version : Vectric 3D review??

Barefootboy4
06-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Now that my 3-axis router table is up and running on Mach3 I need to pull the trigger on buying my CAM program. Mach3 Support highly recommend Vectric 3d which works fine in the Demo mode. Simple for newbies and seems great. With the massive number of programs out there (rhinoCam, MeshCam, BobCam, CamBam, etc) just to name a few can I get some feedback on what's good and what's junk. Mostly will be machining molds for composite layup's for R/C planes and various project's. Also plan to start using for my furniture making business. As I become a better CNC operator and better at using Rhino 3D cad I don't want to make the classic mistake of 1 or 2 years down the road finding out my CAM program is going to become limiting for my projects. I also ran the demo of MeshCam which seems good and is $125 cheaper. Any feedback here would be great.
Thanks-Steve

ger21
06-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Be aware that you'll also probably want a 2D CAM package as well. It'll be much more efficient when cutting flat parts.

Never used Cut3D, but do use MeshCAM. Both are very similar.

blowlamp
06-15-2010, 08:28 AM
If you're doing moulds, then I can tell you that I find CamBam very convenient as it will produce a mould from a model of the actual part without having to make a negative of it first.
The 2D part of CamBam is also extremely versatile and capable when compared to some other software. I'm just a happy user.

Martin.

harley4ever
06-15-2010, 10:46 AM
I'd take a look at dolphin partmaster pro as well. Hobby priced but we use it everyday in our machine shop.

Jhodges
06-12-2012, 05:13 PM

louieatienza
06-12-2012, 10:40 PM
You have to be careful about doing aluminum machining with Cut3D. Meaning, more z-level milling, and even re-roughing with a smaller endmill so that you finishing tool can cut the stair-steps.

I would say you'd at least need VCarve Pro also for 2 and 2.5D machining as well as, uh, v-carving. I'd recommend it ovver Cut2D because you can import Cut3D files into VCarve, this way you can do all your 2D and 2.5D operations as well as 3D operations.

If you go the Rhino route, you could look into RhinoCAM, which is basically VisualMill that works as a plugin for Rhino...

I should add there is one guy in the Army in the Vectric forum who uses Vectric regularly to cut awads in aluminum, though he is using a Haas CNC. If you're using a DIY CNC, which is less ridgid and powerful, and probably doesn't have flood coolant, you can run into problems with some tools. I also cut a lot of alumium, and it did take a few broken bits to get the right parameters.