PDA

View Full Version : THC has anyone used this

Ed Williams
06-12-2010, 02:36 AM
I ran across this on eBay. Has anyone used it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/THC-torch-height-control-CNC-plasma-arc-cutting-/330434842769?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item4cef739091

larryy1022
06-12-2010, 09:53 AM
some uk guy used it, the forum is uk source or somewhat, he said it's good.
but no much info on ebay, but from its intro, it seems cant do much job on torch height control.

I suggest u check what u need from a THC first.
larry

Kipper
06-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I ran across this on eBay. Has anyone used it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/THC-torch-height-control-CNC-plasma-arc-cutting-/330434842769?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item4cef739091Yup I have one.....I like it so far! I'd say it's the best thing since sliced bread.......If I had a Hypertherm 45..... it plugs straight into that unit!

I have a Powermax 900 as I don't have the cash to lay out on a new unit right now......My 900 is 12 years old.....and (in my opinion) a cracking good PSU!! came with a machine torch and finecut consumables for a third the new price of a 45, I have some misgivings regarding the wiring diagram offered at www.eaziform.co.uk namely the exact settings for current combinations and the part where it shows the THC connected directly to the machine controller...120V is never good into breakout boards or the THC unit for that matter!

The manual is quite cryptic really..... I'm awaiting Monday morning when I can get the resistors needed to build my voltage divider to have it working in a fully automated fashion.

My experience so far is that it works......With the Hypertherm (more details below :D ) Just a few more emails needed to pry the information I require from the manufacturer.

some uk guy used it, the forum is uk source or somewhat, he said it's good.
but no much info on ebay, but from its intro, it seems cant do much job on torch height control.

I suggest u check what u need from a THC first.
larry Am I that UK guy?

Quite possibly....I bought a POS 50A plasma supplied by one of your countrymen......I can only use that particular one for hand cutting......At the end of my driveway to stop it interfering with everything from horses to satellite transmission....Hell it can turn a laptop off at 15 feet!

Maybe you could buy one of these THC's and compare it with your offering before deciding "it seems (it?) cant do much (of a?) job on torch height control" as it may appear you're offering some early vine fruit?

larryy1022
06-13-2010, 03:21 AM
yes, keith, i was talking abt u. I'm sorry if any of my words offended u, I was just trying to share some info there.

I think as a offer of arc voltage THC, at least follow info shall be mentioned,

IHS, (auto/manual, ohmic contact, or stall force,)
control accuracy
solution for kerf crossing
voltage divide
manual/auto operation

I didnt say that's bad product, or I have a better offer.
Maybe you have had a bad experience of buying from China, but I dont think I'm the guy should be blamed

By the way, if u like I can send u a manual of our THC for your checking, maybe later you will make some different comment.

tks larry

Kipper
06-13-2010, 03:28 AM
I wasn't offended at all Larry....Just offering some hands on experience of the OP's mentioned product sighting.

jimcolt
06-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Looks like a nice product....it would be nice to see a complete write up of installation and use.....with detailed info in regards to building the z axis, how initial height sensing is achieved (ohmic, limit switch, stall force, etc), and how it operates from the machine operators perspective.

There seems to be a huge demand for a very low cost standalone THC system for home built and entry level plasma systems. I would like to see someone take a product like this and finish the integration (offer an optional z axis assembly, cables, voltage divider, etc) that would allow for a turn key full featured height control!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

larryy1022
06-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah, Now we all wait for Keith's update.

Kipper
06-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Looks like a nice product....it would be nice to see a complete write up of installation and use.....with detailed info in regards to building the z axis, how initial height sensing is achieved (ohmic, limit switch, stall force, etc), and how it operates from the machine operators perspective.

There seems to be a huge demand for a very low cost standalone THC system for home built and entry level plasma systems. I would like to see someone take a product like this and finish the integration (offer an optional z axis assembly, cables, voltage divider, etc) that would allow for a turn key full featured height control!

Jim Colt HyperthermWell the voltage divider for the Powermax 900 machine interface was quite simple to make.....I'm always impressed when a company gives lot's of details on outputs from their unit and indeed resistance and voltage measurements at test points.....ok so Hypertherm have made me happy with a 12 year old machine! And I'd be happy to write of my experience with the THC.... Once I get a few more answers. Anyone thinking of buying one of these might want to hold on to their cash until a burning question is answered!

Yeah, Now we all wait for Keith's update.OK so I just checked the workshop for hidden cameras....How do you know that I know something?

larryy1022
06-17-2010, 04:01 AM
from yr previous posts.
I'm just interested in any kind of THC, as we are making THC. Maybe I will buy one from them if you have a good result there, as our engineers always want to check new THC on the market.
All kinds of THC in our workshop, Burny, Hypertherm, Torchmate....Sometimes customer send us a PCB of THC no one knows from where it was.

tks larry

steve_p
06-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Well the voltage divider for the Powermax 900 machine interface was quite simple to make.....I'm always impressed when a company gives lot's of details on outputs from their unit and indeed resistance and voltage measurements at test points.....ok so Hypertherm have made me happy with a 12 year old machine! And I'd be happy to write of my experience with the THC.... Once I get a few more answers. Anyone thinking of buying one of these might want to hold on to their cash until a burning question is answered!

OK so I just checked the workshop for hidden cameras....How do you know that I know something?

What did you use for the voltage divider? Was it just resistors or did it have any noise suppression? I have a Powermax800 and I'm considering one of these THCs, so info about the divider would be handy. You still happy with the setup?

Kipper
06-17-2010, 10:36 AM
from yr previous posts.
I'm just interested in any kind of THC, as we are making THC. Maybe I will buy one from them if you have a good result there, as our engineers always want to check new THC on the market.
All kinds of THC in our workshop, Burny, Hypertherm, Torchmate....Sometimes customer send us a PCB of THC no one knows from where it was.

tks larry Research is always good!

What did you use for the voltage divider? Was it just resistors or did it have any noise suppression? I have a Powermax800 and I'm considering one of these THCs, so info about the divider would be handy. You still happy with the setup? Voltage divider is 2 wirewound 50W Aluminium housed resistors.......47K and 2.2K giving 5.2VDC

Not sure I'm still happy with the setup :( The only connections to the PC via the BOB are on the isolated pins......Yet when the torch is triggered with the THC not turned on (manual straight line cutting) it blew both the THC board and the PC...... I'm awaiting a reply from the manufacturer regarding this.

So.....I'm looking at my options for a tried and tested THC fully developed with no nasty surprises.

larryy1022
06-18-2010, 02:38 AM
What did you use for the voltage divider? Was it just resistors or did it have any noise suppression? I have a Powermax800 and I'm considering one of these THCs, so info about the divider would be handy. You still happy with the setup?

Hi,

If u can delay the guiding divided arc voltage into yr THC, I mean, prolong this divided arc voltage input time, then you can use None isolation voltage Divide by resister directly, this is the most cost-effective way.

pls check the attachment pic of circuit design, hope it's useful to you.

the second one is our voltage divider, which offers too option, Isolation/none-isolation voltage divide.

But it's 100:1, u need to make some change.

larry

Kipper
06-18-2010, 06:26 PM
It would appear that should a problem arise the manufacturer updates his manual to include "what not to do" information.....If he gets enough problems the manual may get to the standard of candcnc material........ Anyone in the UK bought the candcnc unit?

steve_p
06-23-2010, 06:35 PM
battwell has an mp3000 i believe,

sorry to hear about your thc...

Kipper
06-24-2010, 12:27 AM
battwell has an mp3000 i believe,

sorry to hear about your thc... I may give him a call....05.30 here.....I wonder if he's up :D :cheers:

larryy1022
06-24-2010, 12:45 AM
I may give him a call....05.30 here.....I wonder if he's up :D :cheers:

u r still exciting for england's game? they finally found their game at last. Congratulation!

Kipper
06-24-2010, 02:16 AM
u r still exciting for england's game? they finally found their game at last. Congratulation! I'm an early riser :)

How about posting the price of your THC?

larryy1022
06-24-2010, 04:12 AM
Ok, we do hv a simplified arc voltage THC for personal/DIY users.

pls check the attachment, the manual of XPTHC-III.

It's control accuracy is not very high, but should be acceptable if the user doesnt need high precision cutting.

Lifter is custom-supplied, making a simplified gear-rack lifter is enough.

It's not suitable for high-precision cutting machine.

Price: 368 USD (THC control module +100:1 voltage divider)

Kipper
06-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks for posting the price Larry :cheers: 20W seems a little low....My Z axis motor is 73W no limit switches make it a bit of a showstopper matey :(

Could the Ohmic IHS circuit be used as a lower limit?

larryy1022
06-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks for posting the price Larry :cheers: 20W seems a little low....My Z axis motor is 73W no limit switches make it a bit of a showstopper matey :(

Could the Ohmic IHS circuit be used as a lower limit?

there should be some mistakes on translation of the manual, the 20W limits only DC motor, not stepper motor, as it has its own drive.

For limit switch, our solution is, using freewheel diode( or fly-wheel diode? I'm not sure abt its english name.) on the THC's motor connectors.
I will show you a XPTHC-III wiring diagram later, then you will see everything clearly.

Why use Ohmic IHS circuit for lower limit, pls kindly advise me a little further?

If your cutter is for commercial cutting service, I suggest you choose a professional stand alone THC, or CandCNC's THC, as XPTHC-III's control accuracy is just around 5v.

Anyway, let me update the XPTHC-III's manual, and tanslate the wiring diagram, then show you later.

larryy1022
06-25-2010, 11:15 AM
pls check the attachment, the wiring diagram of XPTHC-III.

Kipper
06-25-2010, 02:41 PM
there should be some mistakes on translation of the manual, the 20W limits only DC motor, not stepper motor, as it has its own drive.

For limit switch, our solution is, using freewheel diode( or fly-wheel diode? I'm not sure abt its english name.) on the THC's motor connectors.
I will show you a XPTHC-III wiring diagram later, then you will see everything clearly.

Why use Ohmic IHS circuit for lower limit, pls kindly advise me a little further?

If your cutter is for commercial cutting service, I suggest you choose a professional stand alone THC, or CandCNC's THC, as XPTHC-III's control accuracy is just around 5v.

Anyway, let me update the XPTHC-III's manual, and tanslate the wiring diagram, then show you later. I was trying to figure a way to set the IHS if there were no other sensory circuits available.......Your wiring diagram is better than the one supplied by the British maker of the THC the OP refers to.....the latest incarnation includes the lessons learned "after the fact" by the manufacturer of this UK THC.

larryy1022
06-28-2010, 10:10 AM
I was trying to figure a way to set the IHS if there were no other sensory circuits available.......Your wiring diagram is better than the one supplied by the British maker of the THC the OP refers to.....the latest incarnation includes the lessons learned "after the fact" by the manufacturer of this UK THC.

The ohmic contact circuit does work like a lower limit switch on Auto Mode.
how's yr THC's work, have you tested it on your cutter?

Kipper
06-28-2010, 11:36 AM
The ohmic contact circuit does work like a lower limit switch on Auto Mode.
how's yr THC's work, have you tested it on your cutter? Just waiting for some L298N' to arrive to repair the magic smoke maker...If it works then fine....otherwise an alternative is needed.

larryy1022
07-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Just waiting for some L298N' to arrive to repair the magic smoke maker...If it works then fine....otherwise an alternative is needed.

Sorry for my late response, Keith. Your THC works fine there?
Maybe it's just one or some IC not set well, it's a local supplier, why not let them check it for you?

Maybe some commissioning work, then it will work fine.

Sorry, I didnt try the THC on yr hand before, could not give any constructive suggestion.

larry

Rbeckett
07-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Bumping it to the top . Been following it and making sure it is in my subscriptions.
Bob

Kipper
07-05-2010, 09:02 AM
L298' installed....No go, Any issues with this card it seems and the manufacturer says "tough titty" and points to the disclaimer in the manual.....Then alters his manual to preclude any further issues.... Not great and not recommended!

Have a look at the manual before purchase....it's gets better all the time...Free beta testing as paid for by me!!!

Kipper
07-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Card No 2 just blew it's driver chips..... I think it's time to give in with these particular THC's!

Might invest in a small claims court invitation instead.

larryy1022
07-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Card No 2 just blew it's driver chips..... I think it's time to give in with these particular THC's!

Might invest in a small claims court invitation instead.

Is it possible to do sth to force the supplier to be responsible for his product?
It's just this kind of seller that makes sale complicated, sadly we gonna too many such suppliers here.

larry

Kipper
07-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Is it possible to do sth to force the supplier to be responsible for his product?
It's just this kind of seller that makes sale complicated, sadly we gonna too many such suppliers here.

larry We're all responsible for our products!

Disclaimers can be buried deep.....not worth the electrons they are written with....Especially if they aren't required to be viewed/agreed to prior to purchase within the terms and conditions.

larryy1022
07-13-2010, 11:13 PM
I didnt mean here at this forum, but China. many times I got from client, "i've got **** from china."

Many suppliers dont do as what they said in China. we really need strict rule to regulate this situation, or soon we will be buried deep.

Kipper
07-14-2010, 03:41 AM
I didnt mean here at this forum, but China. many times I got from client, "i've got **** from china."

Many suppliers dont do as what they said in China. we really need strict rule to regulate this situation, or soon we will be buried deep.

I've never had anything from China that didn't work!

You get what you pay for is an addage that needs some adjustment.....I think it's a saying created by manufacturers who want to gouge eyes :D