PDA

View Full Version : Rust on Cast Iron

ChrisJ
05-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Looking for a good remedy to remove surface rust and the rust stain that is underneath the rust spot on cast iron.

I am going to try a brass brush with some solvent (gas, kerosene or other) but I figured I would ask the group here first. I am hoping a brass brush will not scratch the cast iron since some of the spots are on a smooth area of cast iron.

Your suggestions please.

Chris

murphy625
05-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Paint Stripper...

Sandblasting or more gential Plastic Blasting works great..

Depends on how bad the rust is..

Murphy

Nono
05-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Ever considered Naval Jelly? You Can buy it at ome Depot or Lowes...Once clean use johnsons paste wax to seal against moisture...

ChrisJ
05-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Thank you both for your suggestions.

I will let you know how it went after I try one or both methods.

Chris

ToyMaker
05-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Chris:
Please do post your results. I have a similar situation; I cleaned some parts with paint thinner and did not immediately oil coat them (my bad :( ). The next morning there were several rust spots. The rust cleaned up with just light machine oil and 0000 steel wool but left dark stains. I would be much interested in any successful means of removing the stains.

robotic regards,

Tom
= = = = =
"Do you think if we licensed poets, that they would still take poetic license?"
- - Dennis R. Ridley

ger21
05-15-2005, 10:42 AM
I've used this Rust-Free stuff for my table saw and all my other tool tops, it works great.

http://www.eagle-america.com/html/catalog/productGroup.asp/334293

Then cover with Top Coat to prevent rusting.
http://www.eagle-america.com/html/catalog/productGroup.asp/332788

lerman
05-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Looking for a good remedy to remove surface rust and the rust stain that is underneath the rust spot on cast iron.

I am going to try a brass brush with some solvent (gas, kerosene or other) but I figured I would ask the group here first. I am hoping a brass brush will not scratch the cast iron since some of the spots are on a smooth area of cast iron.

Your suggestions please.

Chris

If gasoline doesn't work, try ether. Be sure to smoke while you are using it. :-)

Gasoline is good for running cars. And reasonably safe. But it should NEVER be used as a cleaner, solvent, for washing your hands, etc. It should never be stored indoors.

Ken

ChrisJ
05-17-2005, 09:33 PM
I guess using gasoline to lubricate the double sided tape on the end of my golf clubs when I am regripping is a no no also?

Well I tried both a paint stripper and a version of naval jelly. The naval jelly worked very good. Paint stripper didn't work so well, but it could have been my technique. I bought the naval jelly from a automative store. It was labeled as a rust remover but I believe it has the ingredient(s), like phosphoric acid that are listed in naval jelly.

Only thing I found was that the stain went from a rust color to a white color (cloud). Guess it is better than it looking like rust. I could not remove the white stain with either a brass brush or steel wool.

To seal the cast iron, I already had some Rust inhibitor by "Crown". I believe it is lanolin based. I think it works really well.

Chris

ger21
05-17-2005, 10:57 PM
I guess using gasoline to lubricate the double sided tape on the end of my golf clubs when I am regripping is a no no also?

I use lacquer thinner. :) Golfsmith used to sell Naptha I think for regripping, before they came out with the environmentally friendly stuff that doesn't work very good.

fyffe555
05-17-2005, 11:17 PM
I can second Ger's recommendation of RUST-FREE, it did an excellent job on my PM66 table top. Boes works well keeping it rust free even in a FL climate.

As an aside, is the cast iron a working surface or just cosmetic? If its decent quality cast then you can make it highly rust resistant just by heavily burnishing it with a wire brush. Loads of old bridges where treated this way, or to keep on the enviromentally incorrect theme, black leading the cast was a method of maintaining cast iron stoves for generations... All of it was bloody hard work though....

Andrew

mxtras
05-18-2005, 02:06 AM
For smooth surfaces such as a machine table or drill press column - Once the rust is removed, try waxing it two or three times in a row with a carnuba-based car wax.

No kidding.

Scott