PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 15 hp 220 single phase to 380 3 phase VFD?

KenCameron
04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Does any one know of a 15 hp VFD that wil go from 220 single phase 60hz to 380 three phase 60hz?

Will i need to get a voltage transformer?

Looking for some thing that is suitable for a CNC lathe.

Thanks in advance

-Ken

Al_The_Man
04-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Thats a pretty big motor for 1 phase supply VFD, you may have to look at someone like WEG that accommodate the larger sizes using 1 phase input without derating, you will also need a 220/380v 1 phase transformer.
Al.

KenCameron
04-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the reply Al.

Is it better to run the transformer on the single phase side of the phase converter than the three phase side?

I am sure that a single phase transformer will be less costly.

-Ken

CalG
04-26-2010, 10:10 AM
No transformers are allowed on the output side of a VFD!

You might consider a RPC feeding a three phase transformer

The VFD will then be supplied three phase as it was designed and so a smaller less expensive device can be purchased.

Plus a machine tool often needs power for the controls etc.

Of course, if your need for the VFD was only phase conversion, the RPC will change all that ;-)

Three phase transformers are common items on the used market and can often be had quite inexpensively. I paid $50 for a 15kva unit several months ago. (shipping can be expensive though ;-)

Al_The_Man
04-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Looking for some thing that is suitable for a CNC lathe.
-Ken

Is this for a present CNC lathe?
With a 15hp motor, I would expect some kind of spindle controller on it already, If so you may just need the 3 phase from a phase convertor only?
Also, check the voltage into the spindle drive iteslf, you may not need 380v in the final analysis, it all depends on what you have now.
Al.