PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant photo frame/sign

CarveOne
04-18-2010, 07:39 AM
This is my first ever project like this and is the first useful thing to come off of my latest home-built CNC machine. This was made for a local Mexican restaurant manager so he could put up an autographed photo of himself and a Washington Redskins player that was taken at the restaurant a few months ago. He wanted a nice frame and didn't see anything in the local stores that he liked. A friend of mine asked if I could come up with something different that he might like as a project for the CNC machine.

So this is it below, and he received it last evening. I tried to make the red oak fit in with the decor in the restaurant, give it a little bit of Spanish mission style, cloned the text in the logo they use on their cards, and made the text pockets look kinda like it was done with a branding iron. The purple heart inlays stand proud of the surface a little as does the oak molding that isn't shown in this image so that it doesn't look like just a flat board. The stains used are MinWax Early American and Jacobean, with their clear satin spray polyurethane finish. More details are in my build log over in the woodworking build log forum.

CarveOne

oldhack
04-28-2010, 09:15 PM
This is my first ever project like this and is the first useful thing to come off of my latest home-built CNC machine. This was made for a local Mexican restaurant manager so he could put up an autographed photo of himself and a Washington Redskins player that was taken at the restaurant a few months ago. He wanted a nice frame and didn't see anything in the local stores that he liked. A friend of mine asked if I could come up with something different that he might like as a project for the CNC machine.

So this is it below, and he received it last evening. I tried to make the red oak fit in with the decor in the restaurant, give it a little bit of Spanish mission style, cloned the text in the logo they use on their cards, and made the text pockets look kinda like it was done with a branding iron. The purple heart inlays stand proud of the surface a little as does the oak molding that isn't shown in this image so that it doesn't look like just a flat board. The stains used are MinWax Early American and Jacobean, with their clear satin spray polyurethane finish. More details are in my build log over in the woodworking build log forum.

CarveOne

looks like youre doing fine to me. Good start as im just starting also. Thinking outside the box always makes for creative art.

Good Job

ImanCarrot
04-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Fine job! let us know what he says.

CarveOne
04-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Fine job! let us know what he says.

The restaurant manager was really happy with it. He told me yesterday that he has people asking who made the frame. I have some small engraved brass plates that says Woodcraft by (my name) and I put one on the back of the frame. The manager asked me why I didn't put it on the front where it can be seen. I told him it wouldn't look right on the front and to just show the plate to them if they really wanted to know. He really had no idea what a CNC machine is and what kind of things can be made on one. I just told him I would make him something nice on a machine I built. It all just went over his head. :)

CarveOne