PDA

View Full Version : Software choices

Paul in OK
04-26-2005, 12:57 PM
I see there are several choices for software. What would be the best 'package' to choose for setting up a router with. (Still looking at the k2cnc machines). I have thought about Rhino/visual mill package and Mach II. Are all three neccassary? I currently use AutoCad and an old EZcam for stuuf where I work. But am putting together a package for a potential customer.
Thanks for the help.

ger21
04-26-2005, 01:34 PM
You need Mach2/3 (or something similar) to actually control the machine. Then you may need a CAD and or CAM package to create the gcode that the machine controller will use. What software you choose may have sokmething to do with what you want to make with your router. There are a lot of woodworking specific CAM packages, but they are all quite a bit of money.

NWPJOEL
04-28-2005, 09:11 AM
What are you going to be using the software for, and how advanced are the users? Also, do they already have something they own? If starting from stratch I would go with Artcam if it is design elements, but for technical, like patters or molds, mastercam is good, and fairly cheap.

ger21
04-28-2005, 09:31 AM
"Fairly cheap" is relative. Both ArtCAM and MasterCAM will cost twice as much as a K2CNC router. Not sure what his budget is, though. If he was talking about the full VM5 with Rhino, then that's pretty close to ArtCAM, I guess.

Paul in OK
04-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks fo rthe replies. I will be the one using the stuff. I use AutoCad and an older EZCam program at work, so am familiar with drawing and code. Have tried to use Bobcad (we have that at the shop as well), But always go back to AutoCad. Total budget is around $5k, machine and all. Am looking at the k2cnc 2525.