Newbie Carving a Maloof-Style Scooped Seat

Thread: Carving a Maloof-Style Scooped Seat

Question Carving a Maloof-Style Scooped Seat

Any suggestions about where to go or how to go about finding or generating a program/cut file for a scooped seat?

Thanks,

ChrisCarving a Maloof-Style Scooped Seat-maloof_seat-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carving a Maloof-Style Scooped Seat-maloof_seat-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Carving a Maloof-Style Scooped Seat

Hi Capt Skully, ARGGGh - Firstly you need to model it in a suitable CAD program. Then you break that into parts that can be cut on the router. "Flat" parts are OK but the seat itself has lots of curvature so you will need to break it into pieces that can be machined (driven by your machine working Z height and fixture height) . You will also need to figure out how to register pieces when you flip it from top side to bottom side. Some features like the rebates for the legs may have to be finished with a chisel etc. Good project.

I'd model it in Rhino3D or Alibre. Then break it up into smaller pieces in the CAD then bring into Mechsoft visual CAD/CAm to toolpath it. I'd add tabs to the sides for the registration and holding, think about how to finish machine it so it has the least hand work. If you have a rotary axis you could machine them as it rolls.

A few things to consider. What CAD do you use? Peter

https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17362

Downloads
    Uploads

Judging from the attached image, there is an existing 3D file that details the geometry. If you can access that, you'd have a good head start. I presume you intend to render this in wood? Given that, there will probably be the need to add geometry as a means of avoiding blown out short grain areas. Much of Maloof's work was dependent on blending the juncture of parts, so you will probably want to add stock there. I would second Peteeng suggestion of using Rhino and perhaps RhinoCam or even Fusion 360. If scooping the seat is all that you'll be doing, should be a piece of cake.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSkully View Post
    Any suggestions about where to go or how to go about finding or generating a program/cut file for a scooped seat?

Thanks,

Chris
    The files are available for the Maloof chair from a member on Vectric's user forum in Vectric's Aspire format.

Vectric Forum • View topic - Maloof style Rocking Chair plans for sale

Downloads
    Uploads

This link may give you some insights into the making of the original rocker;

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2009...-into-sketchup

If you're handy with hand tools (planes, spoke shaves and draw knives) and some power tools (table saw, hand held router, bandsaw, jointer and planer), this shouldn't be too challenging.

Downloads
    Uploads

Chris,

Here's a 3D clipart file you can use if you have Aspire. Here's a couple of pics of a chair I made using it. The seat on the chair is slatted because it is going to be part of an outdoor dining set I'm making for my deck but you could carve it the same way into a solid blank. It should give you a start anyway.

Hope it helps,

Odie9

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carving a Maloof-Style Scooped Seat-20200423_140809-jpg   Carving a Maloof-Style Scooped Seat-20200423_140825-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files