Newbie First Post and Alphacam question

Thread: First Post and Alphacam question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default First Post and Alphacam question

Hello all!

I been viewing this site for some time now and decided to make a profile finally.

I work for a high end architectural firm and we are looking to upgrade our cam software. I am relatively new to CAM and CNC operation and have been here for about 8 months and we currently use Router CIM to do all of our programming.

We are taking a heavy interest in Alphacam and I have acquired a trial of it to give it a test drive.

So my super complicated question to anyone with experience using Alphacam...

Can you change the units of the software to inches? Drawing units, tools, machines, everything. I have been messing around for a few hours and can't seem to find a way to set the change the units like you can with any other software.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First Post and Alphacam question

Scale command 1”= 25.4mm

or just draw in mm for mm

i have manuals if you need help,,,,,

keysoftwareservice.com

Downloads
    Uploads

We have a 10 year old version at work. I took a quick look, and don't see a specific setting for inches/mm's. I guess units are whatever you want them to be.
    I see that tools do have an inch/mm setting, and I guess the post processor also can have an effect. We have a custom post that came with our machine, which outputs inch units and metric feedrates.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mdrum93 View Post
    Hello all!

I been viewing this site for some time now and decided to make a profile finally.

I work for a high end architectural firm and we are looking to upgrade our cam software. I am relatively new to CAM and CNC operation and have been here for about 8 months and we currently use Router CIM to do all of our programming.

We are taking a heavy interest in Alphacam and I have acquired a trial of it to give it a test drive.

So my super complicated question to anyone with experience using Alphacam...

Can you change the units of the software to inches? Drawing units, tools, machines, everything. I have been messing around for a few hours and can't seem to find a way to set the change the units like you can with any other software.
    Hi,

"Alphacam does not use imperial (1/2", .25" 1ft., etc) or metric (1mm, 1cm, 1m, etc.) values, rather a unitary value system. Therefore, entering a value of 1 will give you 1 unit, entering .5 will give you 1/2 of a unit. This unit can be read by the user as imperial measurements or metric" - taken from a Alphacam help.

Postprocessors, VBA macros, .NET programming.
    www.ccsoftcz.com