How do I re-edit a measurement once I go to 3D???

Thread: How do I re-edit a measurement once I go to 3D???

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do I re-edit a measurement once I go to 3D???

This is driving me crazy tonite.

I drew a part out in 2D. Got my measurements where I "thought" I wanted them.

I extruded the part into 3D.

I found a dimension that I want to change, but when I go back to 2D, I can't select the original drawing or modify the dimensions. I can add new stuff to it, but not edit is greyed out. I can't seem to change anything in 3D either.

What the heck am I doing wrong???

edit: Of course I got it figured out once I went back to it after screwing around with it some more. Basically I just had to select the plane and then double click the area that I wanted to edit. Simple. Maybe this will help out some other clueless noob....

Mike

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sketch a 2D profile.
    Extrude it.
    To change the profile (section) of the extrusion, select the sketch in the design tree then click the sketch button on the top of the right edge toolbar, or right click the sketch and select "edit".
    I have never seen it done any other way.

In fact, if you have nothing selected and click the sketch button, AD responds with options such as, do you want to start a new sketch or edit this sketch.

Of course as it is no different than any other software, it will occasionally go out of its mind and act strangely.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the necro but this drove me nuts as well when I first started using Alibre so I thought I would attempt to explain it more clearly to help anyone else who comes across this post.

As the poster before me said, "use the tree" on the left side of the screen.

If you want to go back and change the length of an extrusion or loft you have made, then find it in the design tree on the left side of the screen and right click on it, then select "edit." That will bring up the appropriate window so that you can edit the length of the extrusion or loft etc.

If you want to change the dimensions or features of a sketch that you have made, then find it in the design tree on the left side of the screen and right click on it, then select "edit." Depending on your settings it might bring you back into 2D sketch mode or it might just stay in 3D mode. Mine stays in 3D and I edit from there.

Something to note is that You have to back out of sketch mode before you right click on the extrusion or sketch you are wanting to edit. If you don't then the edit option won't be available.

Also, when you are finished editing, click the button in the upper right corner to back out of sketch/extrude mode. That should update your part with the edits you just made. However, everything in the design-tree that was designed after that part will be greyed out. So be sure to find the last part at the bottom of the design tree and double click on it. That will update your part to it's current state.

I hope that made sense.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys! I kept trying to edit the plane or by clicking directly, this sent me to the right place.

-Dwight