Went for a visit. To be continued!

Thread: Went for a visit. To be continued!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Went for a visit. To be continued!

Since I noticed these guys are on cnczone and the section was empty, I though I would make a quick post.

I took a look at some of their machines yesterday and can verify that they are a real company, with a real warehouse, stocked with real machines on the floor.
    ATC 5 x 10 machines down to lighter single spindle 4 x 8s ( I think they have some of those tiny machines but didn't see them). The single spindles were getting Mach3 controls and syntec I think for the larger machines. They assured me that it could pass inspection for CSA (UL equivalent in Canada), always a good thing.

The big machines were built heavy for sure! Surprised at how much bigger a 30mm bearing looked compared to my older 25mm bearings. Also saw something like a 6ft vernier caliper...not sure what it was for, but sort of amusing nonetheless.

Unfortunately, I can't say much more than that as they apparently had just changed spaces and there was no power to any of the machines during my visit. I will update after my next visit where I hope to see something running, check out the controller, etc. But, always nice to know a company isn't just a website so thought I would post!

Cheers,
    Greg Facer, Plasticworks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Went for a visit. To be continued!

OK, so I'm the brother of the OP. We have since gone back and seen one of the machines running.

They move like stink! Like dangerously fast. The first thing I'd do is dial the jog speed way down. It must have been jogging about 1200ipm or higher (the sales guy was not sure of the setting). My current CNC jogs abour 500-600 and this was way way above that.

We did a simple set of files from Vcarve on some sintra (komatex) foamed pvc. Edge cut was pretty rough but it was a bit that they had been using to cut some alumapanel -which we know from experience is hard on bits. They also had osai controller on one machine and said they are about the same price. We had my father there and he wondered if they weren't too heavy (at least the gantry) for what we need. Anyhow, like Greg said. They are real with a real warehouse and about a dozen 4x8 and up machines in stock. Of special note, the 'packaging' was a huge frame of I bar steel and the inside of the cabinet was immaculately laid out and components (from a non expert) looked solid. They are advertising up and down the west on Craigslist but they are real. Oh and they also had a factory rep on site helping set things up so for the moment they likely have good support for a full import machine.

For what its worth.

G.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Downloads
    Uploads

So, I'll keep this updated. A machine shop I know just bought one (and thought it was a great deal). He's currently running a haas sr 100 so he's got a good machine to compare to.
    I'll be touching base hopefully after he's run it for a bit and give some real feedback.

I consider the purchase a vote of confidence for them though.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK so I did touch base with the machine shop. Apparently he and another person bought machines from them. A couple of things from the conversation: Not sure ACM is a going concern anymore. The main person seems to have left and they said support was out of China now. He got the Osai controller and liked it, tool change was good. He said the biggest surprise was repeatability. He estimated about .01" was doable but not the .005 or .003" they claimed. Too big for his liking and he ended up also buying a second Haas sr-100. He said one machine came 3/16" out of square on the gantry and when they took it apart to adjust it found that the uprights were not machined and were shimmed with cardboard! So the machine shop customer wasn't unhappy exactly but was disappointed with some of the corners cut and some of the results.

So long story short is - you are getting what you pay for. Expect to adjust these machines (ie chinese in general) and double check everything on delivery. Vs a 70-140k US made (or us supported at least) machine these are still a good value but don't expect them to blow you away on living up to the specs - as per most chinese direct things - they don't quite deliver. You will need to get your hands dirty to get it up to snuff once it has arrived.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer2 View Post
    OK so I did touch base with the machine shop. Apparently he and another person bought machines from them. A couple of things from the conversation: Not sure ACM is a going concern anymore. The main person seems to have left and they said support was out of China now. He got the Osai controller and liked it, tool change was good. He said the biggest surprise was repeatability. He estimated about .01" was doable but not the .005 or .003" they claimed. Too big for his liking and he ended up also buying a second Haas sr-100. He said one machine came 3/16" out of square on the gantry and when they took it apart to adjust it found that the uprights were not machined and were shimmed with cardboard! So the machine shop customer wasn't unhappy exactly but was disappointed with some of the corners cut and some of the results.

So long story short is - you are getting what you pay for. Expect to adjust these machines (ie chinese in general) and double check everything on delivery. Vs a 70-140k US made (or us supported at least) machine these are still a good value but don't expect them to blow you away on living up to the specs - as per most chinese direct things - they don't quite deliver. You will need to get your hands dirty to get it up to snuff once it has arrived.
    I'm sure the owner does not know about the cardboard, & none machined parts, I will tell him what has been found

I don't know the person that was in charge at ACM, obvious he was not up to the job or he would still be there,I'm sure he will be replaced for sure, this is a serious manufacturer that has been selling in Canada for more than 10 years

The same machines are here in the USA that this company sells also,using there company name branding
    NewCNC.com

So there is support if needed, You forgot to mention the quality of the parts being used, THK linear Rails, Yaskawa AC Servo System Etc, they are a great buy if you need a machine like these

The pallets are made of steel because it is cheaper than to make them in wood

There is normally no adjustments to make to there machines, this should of been done before delivery

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

They do look like similar machines, but that doesn't mean anything definitive with Chinese machines. ACM specified hiwin bearings and not THK.

I don't think they were around for 10 years...we are local to the business and never heard of them until about the same time there website was created and the started posting ads online.

Anyways, totally agree that a reseller should be making sure they are all adjusted before hand.

Funny about the support though....for us on Canada and West coast in particular....we're paying a tech to fly in with the majority of suppliers so if the Chinese tech is good, its not so different really.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer View Post
    They do look like similar machines, but that doesn't mean anything definitive with Chinese machines. ACM specified hiwin bearings and not THK.

I don't think they were around for 10 years...we are local to the business and never heard of them until about the same time there website was created and the started posting ads online.

Anyways, totally agree that a reseller should be making sure they are all adjusted before hand.

Funny about the support though....for us on Canada and West coast in particular....we're paying a tech to fly in with the majority of suppliers so if the Chinese tech is good, its not so different really.
    They have not always had the name ACM that is only about 2 to 3 year with that name in BC, I was involved with them when we decided on that company name, all there high end machines have the best hardware, like THK linear rails Etc, they have not been in BC more than the 3 years selling their machines, they first were shipping selling machines in Toronto for over 10 years, there are many different model machines Like the link in the last post, they are the same built machine that may have some custom features for that company, there first large machines were manufactured in 1994, so they have been around for while, have more than 200 employees, at their manufacturing plant, a photo of part of their plant

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Went for a visit. To be continued!-acm-factory-jpg  
    Mactec54