Cutting 80/20 extrusions

Thread: Cutting 80/20 extrusions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cutting 80/20 extrusions

Hello guys,

I don't have any experience working with alum extrusions and I need some advice.
    I have a simple table design for my CNC router which I want to make out of 80/20 or alike extrusions. I understand that the precision of my cuts and having members on both sides of the table that are symmetrical is very important for things to be squared.

My dilemma is how to cut a long extrusion into equal 24" and 7" sections from a long stock (as it would come from the factory or ebay store)
    What is the best tool for this, what "jig" would I need?

Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used a thin kerf non ferrous blade in a dewalt chop saw, with careful setup and alignment for 90° cuts, and used layout dye and a scribe to mark the cuts. Worked great. The blade was around $40 on amazon. Slices through aluminum easier than most hardwoods. I used silicone spray as a lubricant too.

Makes a nice rooster tail of aluminum shavings, keep that in mind when setting up a space to cut, it will be messy!

Sent from tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finish of the cut straight off the saw, and the blade used.

Sent from tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Why are you using the dye? just a preference over a sharpie?
    I appreciate the pictures, looks like it came out great.

Did you cut each piece one by one? I am going to take a trip to homedepot tomorrow to see a chop saw, but I wonder if you used any sort of "fence" of clamp, or did you basically lined up each profile to be cut?

Last edited by FoxCNC1; 08-31-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Profoxcg View Post
    Why are you using the dye? just a preference over a sharpie?
    I appreciate the pictures, looks like it came out great.

Did you cut each piece one by one? I am going to take a trip to homedepot tomorrow to see a chop saw, but I wonder if you used any sort of "fence" of clamp, or did you basically lined up each profile to be cut?
    I used the dye because I had it it does work a little better than a sharpie.

I drilled and tapped a hole behind the fence on the saw and bolted a piece of angle aluminum to it, with a hole in the top so I could use my drill press vise grip clamp to hold the stock to the base of the saw. I used all 1530 and did make some cuts on double stacked parts, it pays to design the machine so it needs the fewest amount of precision length cuts, unless you have access to a milling machine and the tools needed to make accurate measurements on long stock... I did end up with a few shims here and there to get everything aligned perfectly during assembly.

Took 50x more time to align and clamp each piece than it took to cut.

Sent from tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

It seems like I would want to pay the 80/20 factory to just cut the pieces for me and send me a kit then uh?
    no mess, just bold it all on...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That would be ideal if you can afford it. Their ebay store is a bit cheaper than their normal retail, and they still have tolerances on the cuts.

Sent from tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought my extrusions (Tslot) from Automation4Less.
    Automation 4 Less: TSLOTS Extrusions
    The cuts were very good. My biggest piece was 3X6 and ranged down to 1 1/2 X 1 1/2. I could not come close to the precision of their cuts. If you don't already have the tools, precision will cost you. You may want to check out Misumi.
    MISUMI USA: Industrial Configurable Components Supply
    For a little extra, you can get very precise cuts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutting 80/20 extrusions-extrusions-recd-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RicknBeachcrest View Post
    I bought my extrusions (Tslot) from Automation4Less.
    Automation 4 Less: TSLOTS Extrusions
    The cuts were very good. My biggest piece was 3X6 and ranged down to 1 1/2 X 1 1/2. I could not come close to the precision of their cuts. If you don't already have the tools, precision will cost you. You may want to check out Misumi.
    MISUMI USA: Industrial Configurable Components Supply
    For a little extra, you can get very precise cuts.
    how much did the kit cost you? (to have an indea)
    You mention Automation 4 less and then MISUMI. Are they competing companies?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Profoxcg View Post
    how much did the kit cost you? (to have an indea)
    You mention Automation 4 less and then MISUMI. Are they competing companies?
    My machine is not a kit. I borrowed the design from a fellow CNC Zone member and made some modifications.

Here is my build thread.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...ter_build.html

Automation4Less and Misumi are competing suppliers of extruded aluminum. (It was just shy of $1k for the extrusions, brackets and bolts. Those brackets really add up.) Both are great companies to deal with. I purchased my extrusions, brackets and other misc. hardware from Automation4Less and my ball screws and bearings from Misumi.

Downloads
    Uploads

I see, thank you.
    Very nice machine. Looks serious.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting 80/20 extrusions

Take a look at this. This girl does it in her apartment / shop in Shenzen 30 or 40 floors up! Go Eng-Grrl!