New Machine Build Grid Beam CNC Design Thread

Thread: Grid Beam CNC Design Thread

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grid Beam CNC Design Thread

I've got an idea. I want to build a CNC machine using the Grid Beam building philosophy and the 8020 HT framing system. The idea is that to build a CNC that can drill it's own parts and be built without welding and merely bolted together.

A few questions as I start drawing a design:

1. I'm looking for good sources of 8020 HT framing. Any ideas?

2. In the design, what sort of gantry ideas would be advisable for a bed that could be, in theory ranging from 4 to 8 foot square area of drillable surface?

3. On the same note, what sort of screw or bearing system would work for this idea?

4. For the Z-Axis I had thought to have a system that we could replace the whole assembly to switch between simple milling tasks and more complex CNC cutting work. Any thoughts?

5. Also, with Grid Beam the main issue in fabricating the parts is that you have to drill each hole first up. Would a compressed air drill assembly work well here?

I know this is going to be a bit of a hodgepodge design but if it works, I'd like to design more of them in a smaller footprint so we can make both CNC and Grid Beam a useable reality. Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks all!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can suggest a 80/20 distributor in your area, where do you live?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I live in Atlanta, Ga. The issue is that I have a few distro's that I've called for quotes but the shipping is very exorbitant and I'm a poor hobbyist/waiter! I'm really looking for uncut stick (8 foot or longer) that I could buy in bulk at a decent rate per foot and then do my own fabrication in house.

Any ideas?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You may want to try one of our big box distributors (Fastenal, Grainger, McMaster Carr, MSC). They might have decreased shipping rates if you pick up at the local store.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll be using McMaster for some of the stuff when I have more up front capital but for right now, your surplus online ebay option seems more like the model I want to use.

Honestly, in time, I want to develop this hobby into a business for me where I sell this stuff big box and only this stuff for hobbyists. Considering that a workable CNC that makes wooden and potentially can mill metal Grid Beam sticks out of flat tubing makes this an opportunity that I want to explore. I think there is a market there for it and I want to make it happen.

With that said, I'm going to scale down my initial plans and go for a machine with a drillable area of 4 feet square. the idea is that eventually once the machine is built, you can machine enough parts from the 4 foot model to make a bigger 8 foot square model, thus making a machine capable of making full furniture sized Grid Beam.

(relatively) Rapid Replication is what I'm after here. So with that, what designs should I be thinking about using as a base for my design drawings? Help me out community; my success will help us ALL!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking to inspire some activity on this thread, I've designed a table that I think should work for this project. It's a 1.5 inch square setup on the spars but it should give you all a rough idea of what I'd like to do with the under side. I also have a similar idea for the Z-Axis gantry but before that I'd like to see what we can do to make this design even better.

Also, I've decided to go for a 5 foot machine with a 4.5 foot drill area at first with the intention to build a massive 10.5 foot square machine with a 10 foor drill area.

The files are Google Sketchup 7 and there is also a master of the grid beam set I worked from to get some other people building. But I can't seem to attach files. Any help?

Give me some feedback, please! A help today will rule tomorrow!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As I've been stymied a lot in getting files uploaded, here's a rapidshare link. Also, I've included a demo version of the Grid Beam components all made up like the specs in the book said for 1.5 inch tubing. Give them a try and see what you guys think. I'd love some ideas on where I should go next in designing this thing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a new link for those who might not have got it the first time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've done some work on the design and posted some pics in the gallery in hopes of getting some assistance. I'm currently mocking up the axises and the gantry but I'm still not sure what I want to do in terms of getting it all put together.

Would dual leadscrews on the X-Axis, as shown, work well with this design? Any thoughts on this design would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grid Beam CNC Design Thread-5-foot-rap-rep-jpg   Grid Beam CNC Design Thread-5-foot-rap-rep-2-jpg   Grid Beam CNC Design Thread-5-foot-rap-rep-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting idea, have you started your build yet?

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum