NextEngine HD 3d scanner... the verdict? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NextEngine HD 3d scanner... the verdict?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The nice part is that the same Arduino-controlled stepper motor assemblies in the 3D printers can be used for an automated scanner unit. Where's a cheap place to buy a worm gearbox?

Downloads
    Uploads

duplicate deleted...

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcreationsllc View Post
    The nice part is that the same Arduino-controlled stepper motor assemblies in the 3D printers can be used for an automated scanner unit. Where's a cheap place to buy a worm gearbox?
    You were speaking specifically of the NextEngine, right? I agree that it "can" be cheap and easy to replicate - it comes down to what signals are used and what is being done onboard the Multi-Axis module. As you state, an Adruino or even a simple PIC could be used to do the motion - after someone determines what the signals are incoming to the module, and what are done onboard. I doubt it is too difficult and doubt NextEngine encrypted it, but perhaps they did. I do know it is only a few wires (maybe just 4?) connecting the platforms to the scanner, so they are likely connected via I2C or SIP using only two signal lines to communicate. There is surely a handshake between the parts (the computer software know when and which platform is plugged in to the scanner). The more I think about this, the more I think they likely DID encrypt the signal - they would not want someone cut them out of the deal when encryption could be done for a very low cost...

So, could it be done? Absolutely! Could I do it? I doubt it. Could you? I have no idea - what are your software hacking skillz?

Oh, I also doubt the Multi-Axis has a worm drive. It is quite "light duty" - I bet it is a direct belt driver with gear reduction only off a stepper.

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

I have had the NextEngine 3D scanner for some time now. Odd though i have used only once. Just to busy with other things. As such it is for sale. Listed on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290869505555...84.m1555.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    I have had a NextEngine for years, and I like it. The support is second to none - it is online based, and they usually get back to you within a couple hours. Support runs within the software, and you can easily attach screenshots or the model as needed.

I think the issue is the "what next" problem. I can scan whatever I want, but... What next. It is quite difficult to go from scan to solid model. Tools within SolidWorks are not enough to use the detail of the scan for a good model. I have finally been able to spring for the RapidWorks addon from NextEngine which is supposed to make reverse engineering from the scan data much better and easier. Unfortunately I have been short on time since I got it, so I haven't gone far up the learning curve yet.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them, and I would be happy to answer. Again, I am very happy with the price, speed, and detail from the scanner. To date I use it mostly to print directly from scan to a Dimension FDM printer.
    YES! What next is the big problem. I, too, have a Next Engine scanner. I bought the 3D HD version for $2995 and the "HD Pro" $995 add-on to use the full capabilities of the scanner. This extra $995 unlocks the higher resolution as well as the extra range & scan size (which is what I wanted). I was having enough problems with stitching the scan together that I also bought RapidWorks for another $2995. Buying this includes NextEngine's $995 ScanTools software. I have scanned a couple of large items and am happy with the purchase.

For the first scan linked to, I was able to export data to a customer who developed a solid model of that mold part using solidworks. I also used my Romer CMM arm to verify locations of edges and landmarks, as between the scans and my friend's output, his output was scaled slightly too large. But we got the scan to my toolmaker who CNCd a replacement mold part and then made it work with the mold's other 3 parts. This tool is in production and the parts made are being sold. This mold was the last time we use cast molds. We needed a polished finish and the porosity of the cast mold top caused little sharp bumps in the finish. I polished the CNC top and everyone is happy now.

For 2nd scan, I paid a digital modeling professional a very reasonable fee to take my RapidWorks files and get me an IGES solid result. It was less than a day of work and he made me realize I need to spend more time learning the software. Speaking to him solidified my approval for the purchase. For large projects, best to use a low resolution and 30% overlap. What I found was it is best to have landmarks to help aligning. Scratches already in your part work, as does gluing on small bumps here and there (or modelling clay).

Quote Originally Posted by drwhen View Post
    Hi Khalid,

When comparing David, we should be sure to mention the real cost. This includes shipping a starter kit from Germany and also, because neither you, Bongobat, Hal or other power users do manual scanning, should itemize the costs for planeless scanning. Whether you use the Arduino boards, and stepper motor and the fabrication of elements/frame to house the scanning laser, those costs add up. Some people use a simple mechanical timer for a scanning motor so that keeps the cost down. I am still puzzled that David and it's developers have also kept the documentation limited to a Wiki that does not address all the problems encountered with David. Piecing together a system usable for a business by a casual cnc user is very time consuming and far from being turn-key
    I spent many hours reading about David before buying NextEngine. I did not see any "recipes" towards successful work flows and because I couldn't find one page that in one tutorial or instruction showed the process from opening the box to having a scan, I instead went to NextEngine. Upon receiving NextEngine, I was working with my SolidWorks CAD friend within a week.

If I was doing it again right now, I'd try the cubify sense scanner and then try to figure out which software to buy with it. Given how confusing 3D Systems makes their websites, I have no idea and gave up pretty quickly. Sad... if I had gotten the answers I needed, I may very well have just purchased it to try out for my next project.

- Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

I will suggest use CCD mono camera from imaginsource and a projector. Use SL scaning with David. Its easy.

http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Default Re: NextEngine HD 3d scanner... the verdict?

Quote Originally Posted by drwhen View Post
    I may be wasting my time here but what the heck. I am surprised at how little activity there is in the area of 3d scanning. It sure seems to have some good applications, especially in CNC hobbyist machining. I think the verdict is still out on NextEngine and their scanner. I have really scoured the web looking for users that were both happy with the product and the company from a support point of view. Not much to see. The NextEngine website has the same info it did a year ago... not a good sign either. I am tired of the same old Jay Leno demo.

I know many people have played with the David Laser Scanner software and have mixed results. Too many variables from the type of camera, corner targets, laser color, intensity & focus, PC, etc. etc. I have had some good and bad results and don't care much for the fusion software in David. Meshlab seems to help but as mentioned is "crashy".

NextEngine looks like a good turnkey system but I would think it would be much more popular considering the price. So what's the hangup? Is the company support that bad? Are the scan results that poor? Is it worth waiting to see if someone can put together a scanner with the Microsoft Kinect? Are structured light scanners much better than what NextEngine can do? So many questions. So little information.
    Hi there,

Here at FabLabs in Groningen ( the Netherlands) we have a NextEngine and I hate it.
    Soooo Sloooow, and not that good results.

Now last summer I reviewed a David SLS-2 structured light scanner and learned to Love it.

It, sooo fast, and when making a manual operated turntable ( motor operated is an option)
    it will be far more better.

I used it on small statues, ceramic objects like roof-tiles, and printed solid scans in 3D using Ultimaker Cura and a Builder - 3D filament printer.

Some vids I made (some of them in Dutch language, but hey, they speak for themselves) on https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTerraArte

So I hope you can learn how good life can be using a really decent scanner.
    Meanwhile on FabLab we're stuck with the good old NextEngine....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Right,This topic dried up and died here. Not sure why.
    The overall site has gotten way out of hand size and forum-wize. Too many options - I glaze over when logging on and trying to find items.
    Nice hearing there are still folks interested in 3D scanning.
    I am still looking into options - money is always an issue. Software for 3D scanning usually costs as much as the darn hardware!
    That is disappointing. Going to look into David Software as an option - still an affordable entry level product if it performs.

Lynda.com has a tutorial on 3D scanning titled "3D Scanning with a Camera". You can view some samples. Looks interesting. ([url=http://www.lynda.com).
    Let's try to resurrect this forum!!

Fred

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

look on google image for microwave turntable windup

These were used before microwave ovens had built in turntables

they go pretty slow and would work for taking Kinect photos

Has anyone found something like the Kinect that can do smaller items ?
    the Kinect seems good for large items that you will make much smaller like scanning people and printing a bust, but not good if you want to scan a football size item

Quote Originally Posted by Terra-Arte View Post
    Here at FabLabs in Groningen ( the Netherlands) we have a NextEngine and I hate it.
    Soooo Sloooow, and not that good results.

Now last summer I reviewed a David SLS-2 structured light scanner and learned to Love it.

Meanwhile on FabLab we're stuck with the good old NextEngine....
    So if the David is good, why are you stuck with NextEngine that you hate?

I agree that NextEngine is slow. Accuracy? I'm happy simply getting output. I bought a 3DSystems "Sense" and one of the crippled Alibre softwares they offer with it. I never could get the Sense to do something productive. For accuracy, NextEngine isn't "inaccurate" either. When I scan parts and let the software guess on hole sizes, etc, they're within .2 mm normally. But for areas of critical accuracy, I don't trust any single method of measurement. I measure by hand at least twice (and attempt via different methods to try and find error). And then each reading I repeat 4 or 5 times to get a feel for repeatability. The metric system helps tremendously, as you normally design a distance that's 98.6mm, instead going for 100 or 95.

18 months ago I was super frustrated with having to make and overlay 100+ scans for a project and did research. At that moment, I did not have confidence enough in David to try it. Until I see someone detail their entire workflow and prove to me it works, how it works, and why it works I am not going to trust R&D to it.

I know the quality possible with the NextEngine so will consider it de-facto standard. And the $5k RapidForm XOR software is pretty nice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I realize this is an old thread, but the original question still stands, and I thought I could shed a little bit of light on the subject.

I have used both systems, and a few others - Kinect 3d scan, structure sensor for IOS.

Here would be my recommendations....

If you are just starting out, and just want to make point clouds of physical objects to 3d print, or start to manipulate using third party tools, it doesn't get any easier then the structure sensor which is an add-on for your iphone or iPad. My kids use it to digitize objects, like their heads they can then play with using free 3d tools, like putting their heads on free models of dogs to 3d print. I've found the dimensional accuracy to be unusable for any commercial purpose, but for creative use - it's actually a lot of fun.

I can't recommend the Kinect for any purpose as it was difficult to use, and is essentially end of life from microsoft. Not worth investing time or effort into a dead product.

I started my scanning journey with David. It had a low price point, but a very high learning curve. I invested the time to learn, and continued to build and buy more hardware and software to make it into a usable product in a commercial environment. It was still a bit of a hack, and the lack of an "approved" tool-chain of third party products made it difficult for anyone except for me to actually use the product.

I then purchased a nextengine off ebay. there were lot's of con's to the product, many of which are well documented here - it's slow, it does have a limited size window unless you want to create a david-like custom solution. What it did have was a well integrated complete solution. I could train someone to do a basic scan in about 30 minutes, and they could start it, walk away, and we would get a reliable point cloud that was usable using a well documented tool-chain. It's still in use today, and does great for products of a certain size. You can often find these for sale around $500 on eBay, and it is well worth that price.
    Shining #d,
    Meanwhile David was purchased by HP, and has really upped their game to a commercial ready product with a well defined process and tool-chain. I've kept abreast of the product. The catch, is this "commercialization" has come with a significant increase in cost, to the point, I could only recommend it for commercial purposes.

In the meantime, there has been a renaissance of startups in the scanning space. Einscan pro 3d,eora 3d, ciclop - a couple of which I've bought (they are cheap), and will report back if there is any interest.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alexzogh View Post
    I realize this is an old thread, but the original question still stands, and I thought I could shed a little bit of light on the subject.

I have used both systems, and a few others - Kinect 3d scan, structure sensor for IOS.

Here would be my recommendations....

If you are just starting out, and just want to make point clouds of physical objects to 3d print, or start to manipulate using third party tools, it doesn't get any easier then the structure sensor which is an add-on for your iphone or iPad. My kids use it to digitize objects, like their heads they can then play with using free 3d tools, like putting their heads on free models of dogs to 3d print. I've found the dimensional accuracy to be unusable for any commercial purpose, but for creative use - it's actually a lot of fun.

I can't recommend the Kinect for any purpose as it was difficult to use, and is essentially end of life from microsoft. Not worth investing time or effort into a dead product.

I started my scanning journey with David. It had a low price point, but a very high learning curve. I invested the time to learn, and continued to build and buy more hardware and software to make it into a usable product in a commercial environment. It was still a bit of a hack, and the lack of an "approved" tool-chain of third party products made it difficult for anyone except for me to actually use the product.

I then purchased a nextengine off ebay. there were lot's of con's to the product, many of which are well documented here - it's slow, it does have a limited size window unless you want to create a david-like custom solution. What it did have was a well integrated complete solution. I could train someone to do a basic scan in about 30 minutes, and they could start it, walk away, and we would get a reliable point cloud that was usable using a well documented tool-chain. It's still in use today, and does great for products of a certain size. You can often find these for sale around $500 on eBay, and it is well worth that price.
    Shining #d,
    Meanwhile David was purchased by HP, and has really upped their game to a commercial ready product with a well defined process and tool-chain. I've kept abreast of the product. The catch, is this "commercialization" has come with a significant increase in cost, to the point, I could only recommend it for commercial purposes.

In the meantime, there has been a renaissance of startups in the scanning space. Einscan pro 3d,eora 3d, ciclop - a couple of which I've bought (they are cheap), and will report back if there is any interest.
    I just recently purchased a used unit, not delivered yet, but I'm very anxious for my first 3d scanner. While I love what the David scanner has to offer I like the idea of starting out the box and the price was great also.

Sent from my 4034E using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234