Stepper motor question

Thread: Stepper motor question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper motor question

I have 4 of these stepper motors and was wondering if I can use them for a 3D printer like a PrintrBot.

12 Volt
    .30 Amps
    40-oz-in torque
    1.8 deg step
    40 ohm
    NEMA 23 frame
    6 wire

Thanks
    Sam

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no direct experience with the PrintrBot.

But here are a few notes anyway.

First, the physical size of NEMA 23 motors is larger than the NEMA 17 motors that (apparently) are typically used for the PrintrBot. So it is possible that you may run into difficulty (or may have to make adaptations) when mechanically mounting the larger motors.

Also, it appears that the PrintrBot uses 4 motors for controlling the X, Y, and Z axes (two motors are used for the Z axis) plus a fifth motor which is required for the extruder. So you would need to find a fifth motor.

The motors that you described do not have a lot of torque (but then typical 3D printers require less torque than typical CNC routers or milling machines or lathes because the weight that must be moved by the motors is much less). It would be a good idea to find out whether the PrintrBot design specifies the minimum torque rating for the motors.

The '40 ohm' spec that you listed sounds high to me - are you certain that you have listed it correctly?

6-wire motors should be OK (but how you would hook them up would depend on the specifics of the motor drivers that you would be using).

CUTCNC

I think you had better to ask the PrintrBot after sales service people