Zen Toolworks 7x7 CNC - I'm this close to success

Thread: Zen Toolworks 7x7 CNC - I'm this close to success

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Zen Toolworks 7x7 CNC - I'm this close to success

Hello,

After scouring Google and searching the archives here, I am finally needing to break down and ask for help. I purchased and built the Zen Toolworks 7x7 CNC with standard leadscrews. No major issues and I was able to find enough info online to get the TB6560 controller/driver board configured with Mach3 to be able to manually jog each axis around with no issues. My problem is that now, when I try to run some sample G-Code the steppers sound VERY...well, not good. They sound rough and the movement is so miniscule and so slow that without seeing the nut on the leadscrews SLOWLY making any movement I would otherwise think they were simply stalled.

I don't understand why settings in Mach3 that allow me to jog all 3 axis with no problems are not allowing me to actually run any G-code. Mach3 cycles through the first couple lines (never any real movement of the steppers) then the steppers get caught up in this nearly stalled position of very slow movement and very rough sound. I have tried different samples of G-code with the same issues.

My motor settings for all 3 axis in Mach3 are as follows: STEP PER = 1280, VELOCITY = 400, ACCELERATION = 125, STEP PULSE = 0, DIR PULSE = 0.

I have tried different values for STEP & DIR PULSE with no luck. Again, all of these values work fine when jogging. No success otherwise though.

If anyone could help me out I would be very grateful. I am so close to actually being able to mill material and have solved several issues before this point but this one has me (as well as my steppers) stopped in our tracks.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Might want to double check your units in the gcode and the units in Mach.
    Inch on Gcode and mm on Mach will yield something simalar to what you are describing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
    Might want to double check your units in the gcode and the units in Mach.
    Inch on Gcode and mm on Mach will yield something simalar to what you are describing.

Thank you for the quick reply, Spk64. That is something I never thought of. I am completely new to CNC. I opened up the Gcode in Wordpad and saw no mention of either "MM" or "INCH" nor the associated codes G71 or G70. You have given me an idea though. I guess I will need to learn the basics of Gcode and perhaps write a very small bit of it to move the axis rather than depend on a sample I pulled off of the net. I'll try to run my own snippet and see if that works. If anyone is using the Zen Toolworks 7x7 and knows where I may be going astray...

Thank you again, Spk64

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Look for a g20 which is inches or G21 mm in the gcode.
    In Mach3 go to settings tab lower right and see if it is inches or mm.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Spk64. I will check the gcode. I'm guessing if it jogs okay and I only have issues when trying to run any Gcode then the issues you pointed out would be my only likely place to check. I will repost when I have any info on success or further failure. Thank you!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You may also want check the feed rates in the g-code. Also in the mach3 main screen hit the tab key and select step mode instead of continuous and select a step size of 1.000 and check the motion and measure to see if its actually moving 1"