InMotion CNC... Still missing parts (X axis linear motion). Where can I order them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: InMotion CNC... Still missing parts (X axis linear motion). Where can I order them?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default InMotion CNC... Still missing parts (X axis linear motion). Where can I order them?

To make a very long story short, I am missing the linear motion (X axis) part of my InMotion CNC. I have the plates for the X, but not the rails or ball screw. Does any one know where I can purchase the missing parts? It has become clear I am never going to get them through InMotion/XZeroCNC :-(.

The kit I ordered:
    4X4: LC 4X4; Y Axis: 8" / 4 Short Bearing; Z Axis: 8 inch Travel 3/4 inch 20mm; Ballscrew Upgrade: 2510;

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: InMotion CNC... Still missing parts (X axis linear motion). Where can I order th

Try VXB Linear Bearings, Linear Motion Systems

There are a lot of vendors on Ebay also.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: InMotion CNC... Still missing parts (X axis linear motion). Where can I order th

Sorry about that. Should be more clear. I know where to purchase such items. I need model numbers, specs, and types.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, sorry I can't help you with that.

Downloads
    Uploads

DingbatCA,

I don't have the model numbers for the parts you need, but I can make some suggestions on how to figure it out:

1) The linear rails are likely to be compatible with Hiwin HGH series. Measure the center-to-center distance (in mm) for the mounting holes for the carriages in the machined plates. Use that info to look at the Hiwin catalog to figure out which size you need. That should tell you what size rails you need (series 20 or 25, is my guess). Looking at the pictures from the Inmotion website, and measuring the extrusion lengths, you should be able to figure out the rail length that you need. The rails come in somewhat standard incremental lengths due to the spacing of the screw holes, so hopefully George used one of those. From that you should be able to order rails and carriages. An image on the InmotionCNC website shows one bearing carriage has a number "SB I 25 HL" on what looks like the top-mounted (X-axis??) rails. That might help a little, and at least suggests 25mm rails.

2) The ball screw may be a little tougher. From the images on the Imotioncnc website, it looks like they are using standard ball screws and support bearings. Again, by measuring the hole pattern for the ball nut, the mounting bore for the ball nut, the distance between mounting screws for the support bearings, and the overall length, you should be able to figure out what model ball screw parts were used. Again, they could be compatible with Hiwin parts. You may be able to purchase the the screw with the necessary machining already done (try Misumi?) The bearing blocks could come with the screw or separately. Same with the ball nut. The z-axis is a little unusual because it is not supported on the far end away from the motor. Understand that it is possible that George was having the screws custom machined to his design. I expect that a "standard" ball screw will fit, but you may loose a little stroke if you can't buy exactly what he designed.

The Inmotion machines were intended to be "low cost." If I were designing a low cost, high performance machine, I would try to use standard components wherever I could to save on the cost of custom machining. I do know that these machines have custom aluminum extrusions, but I can see how that could be an economical choice if you were willing to make an initial investment in tooling.

I would also recommend looking through the xzerocnc forum. You may find some additional clues about the parts from posts where George was describing the design details as it was in development.

Good luck!

-Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tips DDgitfiddle. I will CAD up the current X axis and see if I can find a matching set of rails/ball screw.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DingbatCA View Post
    To make a very long story short, I am missing the linear motion (X axis) part of my InMotion CNC. I have the plates for the X, but not the rails or ball screw. Does any one know where I can purchase the missing parts? It has become clear I am never going to get them through InMotion/XZeroCNC :-(.

The kit I ordered:
    4X4: LC 4X4; Y Axis: 8" / 4 Short Bearing; Z Axis: 8 inch Travel 3/4 inch 20mm; Ballscrew Upgrade: 2510;

Hey did you get this solved? I have a complete machine I may be able to help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

George is using TBI ball screws and SBC linear bearings. Hiwin may be compatible, but you should double check. The ball screws George chose don't have good wipers, so if I were doing things over I'd look for a ball nut with extra seals and wipers. The flex couplers aren't designed for a high torque nema 34 motor either, so depending on your set up you may want something better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

jlatta82: I opened a ticket with PayPal, and waited. After George did not respond, they sided with me. Not how I wanted this to go down. I just wanted the missing parts. Only missing the ball screw and linear rails/blocks for the Z axis.

Andrew22: Good notes. I will buy a better ball screw for the Z, and replace all the couplings.

Downloads
    Uploads

After a bunch of measuring, I bought 2X HGL25HA Hiwin linear blocks and matching HGR25R railing for the Z. I bought 2X 460MM rails, but I will need to trim them down to 425MM. Easy fix. I am about 95% sure that will work on the Z.

I also picked up 2X more HGL25HA Hiwin linear blocks for the Y... But I am not sure, in fact I highly doubt, if they will work on the TBI Motion linear rails that came with the kit. Does any one know where I can buy some TBI Motion linear guide blocks? Cant seem to find them on eBay. I think I need 2X TRC25VE blocks.

Next up is finding the ball screw...

Last edited by DingbatCA; 06-04-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like Anaheim Automation reps TBI Motion in the US. I did not find that part number on their website, though. They may sell them as a set with the rails. It would be worth calling them, though.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am majorly stuck.... Still missing parts for my CNC and totally jammed up on the Z ball screw. I need help.

I believe that the XZeroCNC Raptor and the InMotion LC CNC use the same Z axis ball screw setup. I need to know what the Z bearing is. Before I send anyone through all that pain please make sure our part numbers of the Z bearing holder, Z top plate, and Z stepper mount. Mine are:
    Z bearing holder: 0050
    Z top plate: 0102
    Z stepper mount: 0061

If your part numbers match, can you give me a hand? It would involve getting the part number of the Z bearing.... NOT an easy task on an assembled machine. I also need all the dimensions of the ball screw so I can have a matching screw fabricated. Jlatta82, I am looking your way, but understand that I am not asking you something simple.

Downloads
    Uploads

Digging through the parts box again and I found the bearing!!!! Totally was not expecting it in the drag chain box, but I figured I would check once again.

Ball Bearing is labeled EBC 5203-2RS

I also found the nut for the top of the ball screw. Only marking I can find are "GO 181"

Downloads
    Uploads

Choose to due a full inventory, again. I believe I am also missing the e-clips and nuts for the X and Y ball screws. Cheap to replace, but I have no clue where to start. Ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ordered the two 2X TRC25VE blocks through alibaba.com.

Sent out a quote request to Nook Industries for the ball screw. I am sure this is going to be costly. Lets hope my reverse engineering is up to snuff. Anyone have a good, cheap alternative suppler of ball screws? I could really use a secound quote.

Still outstanding, and of unknown sizes, are the nuts and e-clips for the X and Y ball screws. I have the mounting blocks, BK/BF15. So I will do some googling and see what I can come up with.

Downloads
    Uploads

Found the nuts and e-clips. They were in the bearing support boxes... I feel like such a n00b.

Working on the new Z ball screw. These number took a long time to fabricate. I am not sure if it is possible for any one to check them?
    A = 37mm
    B = 9.5mm
    C = 12.7mm (0.5in)
    D = 17mm
    E = 16mm
    F = 11.5mm
    Z = 410mm
    InMotion CNC... Still missing parts (X axis linear motion).  Where can I order them?-103004-1-png

Downloads
    Uploads

Updated drawing attached. Went with a supplier out of china (eBay).

Below is the drawing. Ballscrew RM2505, with SFU2505-3 nut. Only machined on one side, as shown in drawing. The 9.5mm is threaded for the locking nut. Threads are a M16-1.5. Right hand.InMotion CNC... Still missing parts (X axis linear motion).  Where can I order them?-103004-png

Downloads
    Uploads

OUCH!!!!!! Just got the quote back from nook industries. $7793.53, with a 6 week lead time.

Took the exact same drawings to an eBay vendor (dmmotion), out of china. Cost me $85.60, shipping today, with about a 3 week shipping time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DingbatCA View Post
    OUCH!!!!!! Just got the quote back from nook industries. $7793.53, with a 6 week lead time.

Took the exact same drawings to an eBay vendor (dmmotion), out of china. Cost me $85.60, shipping today, with about a 3 week shipping time.
    And we wonder why manufacturing has moved to China. That nook quote seems way out of line, they must not want to do it. I would have been happy to do it for half of that

Downloads
    Uploads

This made me really sad. I would rather support local, then over seas. I don't mind paying a bit more, but 91X the cost is just to much!!!

In other news I think I have all the missing parts. YAY! I will fire up a build thread in a few weeks. Taking the aluminium parts in to get anodized later this week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast