Need Help! Wiring Proximity switches to MX3660

Thread: Wiring Proximity switches to MX3660

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wiring Proximity switches to MX3660

Hi,

How have you guys that use proximity switches with the mx3660 wire them up? Do you need a separate power supply or can they be run off of the mx3660 somehow? The wiring diagram in the mx3660 manual doesn't show a connected power supply. Also for anyone that has an xzero machine, how have you installed the proximity switches on the long axis? There are slots machined in the z and the short axis for switches, but I don't see an obvious place for a limit/homing switch on either of the end pieces. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wiring Proximity switches to MX3660

figured out how the switches are mounted, but am still wondering about the power supply. Can I just chop the ends off of a 12v wall wart and wire them all to that? Then wire the remaining wire to the mx3660 input I guess? Mainly just wondering about the power supply.

Downloads
    Uploads

You don't need an additional power supply.

Brown wire from proximity = +12v out 0n mx3660
    Black trigger wire from proximity = input 1 0n mx3660
    Blue wire from proximity = ground 0n mx3660
    connect a jumper from 12v out to OPTO 1 on mx3660

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The limit home switches are the proximity switches. I am just getting mine wired up as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Shane, I appreciate the help! My mx3660 doesn't seem to have a 12v out though. I saw that the mx4660 has that, but all the mx3660 has is 3 sets of input/ground combos and a +10v, a 0-10v, and and EGND on the output section. I don't see anything labeled OPTO 1 either unfortunately. I saw an earlier thread where George mentioned that a second power supply was needed but he didn't elaborate on what it was. Here is a shot of the external devices page from the manual that I have.
    Wiring Proximity switches to MX3660-screen-shot-2017-02-21-5-03-a

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I have a MX4660 and just assumed the MX3660 was the same as the MX4660 with one less stepper output. Looks like you will need and additional 12v power supply.

Checkout this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/xzero-...rs-proper.html (post #6) there is an attached a powerpoint with a bunch of good info.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Shane, that attached document in the thread there is a really handy resource. My only remaining question is what kind of power supply to use for the switches. Can I get away with just wiring them straight to a 12v DC wall wart? Only one way to find out for sure I guess...

Downloads
    Uploads

That should work. You can also get a power supply off ebay or Aliexpress for cheap. I bought one to power some 12v case fans for 5 bucks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...608.0.0.IZ9ADU

Downloads
    Uploads

they dont have to be exactly 12v. anything from 12v up to 30v works. so 19.5v laptop psu's, and other things you might find around for cheap/free should work..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure if it applies to the 3660, but with the 4660 it says you need to limit the current from the limit switch if it is being run at higher than 12V. Might be good to check if the expected voltage/current is within the 3660's spec and add a resistor if necessary. I think this is more about the optocouplers in the 4660 so it might not be a concern.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I'm scouring the house now looking for a 12v adapter I can dig up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by xircon View Post
    I'm not sure if it applies to the 3660, but with the 4660 it says you need to limit the current from the limit switch if it is being run at higher than 12V. Might be good to check if the expected voltage/current is within the 3660's spec and add a resistor if necessary. I think this is more about the optocouplers in the 4660 so it might not be a concern.
    ah, maybe. i used a g540 and that was happy with 24v. i just mean that the switches themselves could use a wide range.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I spoke to George, and he said to use the +10v output on the mx3660 to power the switches. So I guess that means to use +10v for the positive wire, the grd for the negative and the input for the load. So I'll give that a try first.

Downloads
    Uploads

10v is usually outside the operating range of these switches. unless they are special for that purpose. hmm. pics of the label?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbe View Post
    Well I spoke to George, and he said to use the +10v output on the mx3660 to power the switches. So I guess that means to use +10v for the positive wire, the grd for the negative and the input for the load. So I'll give that a try first.
    im surprised he was able to answer that, thats good! i talked to him today as well. hes still in the hospital, but hopefully hes all better soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The manual seems to imply that the outputs are for running a spindle, but seeing as I'm using a hitachi router for now, I could get away with using the +10vdc for the switches if that will work. And yeah best wishes for George, I appreciate that he took the time to reply during such a rough time.
    Wiring Proximity switches to MX3660-img_0414-jpg