USB Motion Card and Mac3 digitizing issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Motion Card and Mac3 digitizing issues

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default USB Motion Card and Mac3 digitizing issues

Hi,
    This is my first post here and I'm a new comer to the CNC world.
    My name is Gil Yaron and I'm a luthier based in Israel.
    I got my CNC machine from George at XZERO and received the Mach3 USB Motion Card (AKZ250) with the system.
    I have copied the UsbMove.dll into the plugin directory and all was working perfectly until I used my probe to digitize a point cloud with Mach3.

I use the Mach3 Digitize Wizard and have the probe connected to input 15 and configured properly
    (Probe-Enabled , Port# 1, pin # 15, Active Low - enabled)
    The digitizing code runs perfectly and the probe generates a stop (for G31 command) but the data is not being written to the designated txt file I specify in the beginning of the code (M40 command).

I tried to run the probe with the center finding routine (blue screen) and it worked perfectly fine.
    I also run the digitizing cone from another computer with different OS and had the same issue with the empty file.

Scott from Mach support believes the issue is with the card or card's driver plugIn FOR mACH3 (UsbMove.dll ver2.0.1.9 by Xulifeng).

Probe digitizing is crucial for my operation and I was hoping one of you experienced guys could chime in.

Shana Tova!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have an m41 at the end to close the file?
    I suspect that without that you won't get much.

Cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Do you have an m41 at the end to close the file?
    I suspect that without that you won't get much.

Cheers
    I use the Mach3 digitize wizard to create the code. There's no M41 in there, only M40 and M30.
    Not sure how G31 is implemented but I assume it handles the writing to the file.

Here's the code:
    (Digitize File)
    M40
    G92X0Y0Z0
    F100
    G0X0Y0Z5
    G31 Z .......
    G0 Z5
    G0X1Y0Z5

G0X0Y0Z0
    M30

Last edited by preeb; 09-17-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use the Mach3 digitize wizard to create the code. There's no M41 in there, only M40 and M30.
    Hum ... well try sticking an m41 into the code just before the m30, and test.

Cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First thing I did after I read your post (-;
    No change, the file is still empty.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Preeb

Well, I am not sure I can help you very much. I have never seen that USB card before, and it is not widely used. In general we are going away (fast) from USB interfaces as they are very prone to electrical interference. Some machines have no trouble, others have lots. Instead we are moving to Ethernet interfaces as the ethernet is faster and is electrically isolated from the machine.
    And G31 is a tricky instruction at the best of times!

I gather from your first email that your program does run, with the Z axis going up and down, and apparently sensing the touch probe? Is this correct?
    I take it that the file you specify is created, but has a 0 length at the end of the program? Is this correct?

If so, that means that Mach has not tried to write anything to the file. This is strange, but may be due to Mach not getting any data to write.
    I notice that the Xulifeng instruction sheet does not mention g31 and probing at all. This may mean the card does not support the touch probe. Yes, it sends the probe signal to Mach, which duly stops as fast as it can, but the USB card does not send the XYZ coords back to Mach.

To Diagnose:
    Set up your touch probe ready to run. Make current position (0,0,0). Click on Operator at the top of the screen, then 'G code var monitor'. Enter 2000 into the first 'var adress', 2001 into the 2nd, and 2002 into the third. Click on Update. Note the values shown. (Do not click on 'OK'). Move this window off the Mach screen.
    Now go to the MDI window and enter 'G31 z-5' (or something suitable) so the head comes down and the touch probe is triggered.
    Question: have the values for 2000-2002 changed at all?
    If yes - then very strange.
    If no, then your card is not sending the required data to Mach. I suspect this may be the case.
    You might like to run this several times with variations.

If your card does not support g31, then perhaps you need to go back to your supplier. Or bite the bullet and replace it with an Ethernet Smooth Stepper. Some rewiring will then be needed! Or write some rather complex macro code.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The program does run perfectly except for the empty file indeed.
    File is created but stays empty.
    I will perform the test you suggested when I'm back at the shop and post back the results shortly.

Thank you Roger for your help!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The program does run perfectly except for the empty file indeed.
    File is created but stays empty.
    I will perform the test you suggested when I'm back at the shop and post back the results shortly.

Thank you Roger for your help!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Roger,

Made the test you suggested.
    The Z value changed immediately every time the probe was triggering.

Everything looks fine... That's the problem (-;
    File is still empty.
    Any wild idea is welcome at this point.

Downloads
    Uploads

Made the test you suggested.
    The Z value changed immediately every time the probe was triggering.
    File is still empty.
    Well, the good news is that the card makes axes move and stop.

The bad news is that the Xulifeng card apparently does not fully support the g31 instruction, as I suggested before:
    > I notice that the Xulifeng instruction sheet does not mention g31 and probing at all. This may mean the
    > card does not support the touch probe. Yes, it sends the probe signal to Mach, which duly stops as fast
    > as it can, but the USB card does not send the XYZ coords back to Mach.

How much use do you want to make of the g31 instruction? And on what axes? And what for? What sort of probe?
    There may be SW solution - depending.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a little confused... but maybe I wasn't clear enough.
    The X, Y, Z values in the Var Monitor changed properly with the G31.
    Now, if the XYZ values in mach's var monitor did change every time the probe triggered, who's writing those values to the file? The card?
    I assume the G31 command which is ran inside Mach is getting all the needed info to be able to do the file writing. Or am I completely wrong?
    Does the card have anything to do with writing to the file?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a little confused...
    I assume the G31 command which is ran inside Mach is getting all the needed info to be able to do the file writing. Or am I completely wrong?
    Does the card have anything to do with writing to the file?
    Yeah, complicated. The g31 command is a bit special.

What is meant to happen is this. The motion control card monitors the touch probe input and the INSTANT the signal happens the current XYZ values are saved, in the motion control card. We are talking a delay here of well under a microsecond. Then the motion control card sends a signal back to Mach saying the touch probe 'has landed', plus it sends the saved XYZ values back to Mach. When Mach gets the 'we have landed' message it looks for the XYZ values from the motion control card and writes them to the open data file. And Mach then tells the motion control card to stop moving and updates the DROs with the current values - not the special values passed back.

What seems to be happening with your card is that the motion control card is not returning the XYZ values, because it never saved anything in the first place. It simply does not know about the g31 requirements. Since Mach never gets a message with the XYZ values it shrugs its shoulders and continues. The data file stays empty.

I know about this because Mach3 V043.022, which is what I am using at present, has a bug in it which results in it sometimes writing the returned XYZ values to the data file, and sometimes writing the current XYZ values instead. It seems to be random. I gather later versions of Mach3 fixed this bug ( I think!). So I had to program a work-around - very specific to my needs.

How is your Visual Basic?

Cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for clearing things out Roger.
    So basically the values coming from the card are the more accurate XYZ data due to the short delay, if I understood you correctly.
    Looks like they fixed the bug given my condition here... it always looks for the card returned values (-;
    I'm a software engineer so VB is no problem. Why?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I guess the problem is not with the card itself but rather with the software driver/ plugin used to connect it with the Mach interface.
    Assuming the vendor will not get an updated driver any time soon I'd rather replace it.

What is recommended to replace the card with?

Except for the card I currently have a 48V Power supply and 3 x DQ542MA stepper motor drivers.

Will the Ethernet SmoothStepper do the job or do I need anything in additional to this?

Downloads
    Uploads

I had to solve that problem myself due to the bug in my version of Mach3.
    Email me at roger at backpackinglight dot com and I will send you the code I developed. Obviously it is not as accurate as a g31, but in practice all values will have the same offset due to the finite time it takes Mach to stop the CNC. If the probing speed is low the offset will be small. Certainly, the results are very reproducible.

Cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

RCaffin
    As i was searching for a solution to the issue i struggling with for two weeks now, found this topic which i considered the closest to mine in relation to G31

Found out about it when i wired a touch plate to autozero Z axis - that went fine.
    When i intended to find a tube center probe using the MachBlue.set and VB script, surprisingly when you click center, X or Y buttons it doesn't move any of the axis but Z!!!
    In another say, clicking X- arrow button will results moving Z Axis not X Axis. And same happens to any of the other buttons.
    So i opened the VB script and found that G31 X? F4 is moving Z axis no matter which axis is chosen after G31 code.
    I put that script aside and used the MDI screen : G31 X? F4 results moving only Z axis.
    Another part of this strange scenario, I started Mach3 as if i am using the Normal Printer port Operation instead of my JNC-40M USB 4 Axis Motion Controller Card. then simulated using G31 with the VB script and the MDI screen, That worked fine!!! it moved the right axis as per the screen buttons.
    So now i think it is either settings of wrong pins i am using (although everything else is so normal) or the controller card is not capable to execute G31 code!
    If so, is there any other way replacing he use of G31 for this case?
    Any advice is really appreciated.
    Best

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Habashynn

I have never seen the JNC-40M card, but what I read about it is not encouraging.
    Well email me and we can see if what worked for preeb can work for you too.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: USB Motion Card and Mac3 digitizing issues

Hi.

i´m new in cnc, i have make a probe and test it with mach3 and the electronic is cnc robotica USB 4.5A (spanish i think)
    when i start it the probe runs to the coordenades and touch the object but the program stops, if i touch the cycle start button its run another line and when touch it´s stop another time ...
    whats its the problem? any ideas?

thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Marti

I know nothing about the 'cnc robotica USB 4.5A' you mention. Do you have a URL for it?
    Off the top of my head my guess is that the controller may not be able to handle g31 properly. but that is a guess at this stage.

cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.

This is the controller CNC-Robotica: Fresadoras CNC

Today i want test if create the .txt file with the coordenades, pressing manually the cycle start every time when stop after touch the probe.

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hi.

This is the controller http://www.cnc-robotica.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_45&products_id=457

Today i want test if create the .txt file with the coordenades, pressing manually the cycle start every time when stop after touch the probe.

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast