XZero CNC - Page 223

Page 223 of 225 FirstFirst ... 123173213220221222223224225 LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,460 of 4491

Thread: XZero CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: XZero CNC

It's an extrusion mounted to another extrusion that's anodized. If the table is flat within 10 thou it would be a miracle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

miracles abound then.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    O_o

that's not quite right I don't think. the tables are usually quite flat, but lest say they were out 3 thou in the middle one to the next as an example. mounting a vise would lock those top to the bottom of a heavy iron vise, pulling them dead flat.

Georges extrusions seem to be a little straighter than 8020, but depending on table size I'd say it would be reasonable to expect extrusions to be out between .005" -.01". True that some errors can cancel each other out, but if there's a bow chances are it would always be biased to one side. Twist is also fairly tough to measure without a very large surface plate. I would only really be concerned about this if I were cutting metal.

It wouldn't need cheap, but a plate of Mic 6 that's been drilled and tapped would be a lot easier to dial in.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew22 View Post
    Georges extrusions seem to be a little straighter than 8020, but depending on table size I'd say it would be reasonable to expect extrusions to be out between .005" -.01". True that some errors can cancel each other out, but if there's a bow chances are it would always be biased to one side. Twist is also fairly tough to measure without a very large surface plate. I would only really be concerned about this if I were cutting metal.

It wouldn't need cheap, but a plate of Mic 6 that's been drilled and tapped would be a lot easier to dial in.

I have a 1" mic6 plate on mine

but, what I meant was that any vise you have is going to pull the table dead flat to it, so adding a vise would make the table even more precise, not show more errors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like the plates that George uses is one of those unobtainium things for now.

As far as how flat it is, well it seems like as long as we use Al extrusions for framing there will be flex and that has to be accounted for by doing things like machining the spoil board unless we use enough mass to make a stiff top. Not a problem. For me, the slotted Al tops are for hold down, not to true it all up..

For now it looks like a company called Isel Automation makes some extrusions that are similar. Not sure what cost is but I'll find out.

Downloads
    Uploads

isel sells a bosch extrusion if I remember right. its quite a lot different, it is not "precision", but it should do the job if theres nothing else.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone know how George is doing?
    Will someone be taking over?

Downloads
    Uploads

i think hes still recovering. hes been active on his facebook, but i havent talked to him in a few weeks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone here spoken with George recently?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys,

Received my Raptor form George last November.

Understand and wish George all the best - but nowhere to ask what happened to my upgraded ball-screws?

Only in the last few weeks I realised the ball-screws were not upgraded as ordered. - This is my first CNC so learning as I go.

Other; Finally have assembled and calibrated with the 5mm ballscrews and now have a retirement/time to use the RAPTOR . Expect to have first use within the next 3 weeks - due to procrastinating on the spoil-board.

Cheers
    Bob T

I texted his number a month or so ago with a question about a spindle. I received a response the next morning. I have no idea if he answered that question....or a family member.

I also see posts on the XZero Facebook page from time to time. Again, not sure if he is doing that or a family member.

All I know is George looks to have a burning passion for the work he does....and for him to be off the radar this long concerns me.

Life is full of roller coasters and you just never know where a person is on their ride.

I pray for the best for he and his family.

Rob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by idoze View Post
    Hi guys,

Received my Raptor form George last November.

Understand and wish George all the best - but nowhere to ask what happened to my upgraded ball-screws?

Only in the last few weeks I realised the ball-screws were not upgraded as ordered. - This is my first CNC so learning as I go.

Other; Finally have assembled and calibrated with the 5mm ballscrews and now have a retirement/time to use the RAPTOR . Expect to have first use within the next 3 weeks - due to procrastinating on the spoil-board.

Cheers
    Bob T
    I had a similar issue, ordered upgraded 10mm X and Y ballscrews for my Raptor and only received upgraded X. George had his supplier send a new 10mm Y ballscrew but when it showed up it was another 5mm and the end was machined incorrectly. Never did end up getting it sorted out. I kept running into little issues with missing hardware so I still haven't had time to get everything sorted out to get the machine up and running after a year and a half. Although Canada is on the metric system metric hardware is a pain to source in small quantities, the local Bolt Supply and Fastenal carry very little on hand.

Does anyone have a Canadian source for 40 series t-slot nuts? Looking to get a spoilboard mounted.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Qicker306 View Post
    I had a similar issue, ordered upgraded 10mm X and Y ballscrews for my Raptor and only received upgraded X. George had his supplier send a new 10mm Y ballscrew but when it showed up it was another 5mm and the end was machined incorrectly. Never did end up getting it sorted out. I kept running into little issues with missing hardware so I still haven't had time to get everything sorted out to get the machine up and running after a year and a half. Although Canada is on the metric system metric hardware is a pain to source in small quantities, the local Bolt Supply and Fastenal carry very little on hand.

Does anyone have a Canadian source for 40 series t-slot nuts? Looking to get a spoilboard mounted.

Thanks
    lee valley has 1/4 20 t slot nuts that will fit. they are good for tables, fixtures, etc. not useful for mounting rails of course as those are M6.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can anyone tell me what these holes are for? There are 2 sets on either end of the machine for my raptor.

XZero  CNC-img_20170702_190637-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

those are for mounting hamster wheels to turn the ball screws. its a new eco friendly upgrade.

no? ok, those are for mounting angle brackets to hold extra reinforcing extrusions (40x80 i think)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hahaha Hamster......

Any idea if these machine come with them or are they sold separate?

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

sold separate as an option. you could make your own pretty easy from some angle aluminium.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    sold separate as an option. you could make your own pretty easy from some angle aluminium.
    Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What have others used as a bracket for mounting the cable chain for the X and Y axis on their XZero machines? I have a 30 x 60 Raptor that I'm finally trying to button up. I'll likely just make a crude bracket out of a piece of aluminum flat bar for the time being and revisit it later.

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Before I break out the calipers, can anyone tell me if the end machining on the Raptor ballscrews is the same as what is typically available from the eBay vendors? Or are the ballscrews on the Raptors machined to George's specifications. I want to replace the 1605 Y axis ballscrew with a 1610 as that is what I was supposed to have received with my machine. I was hoping that I can just specify the overall length to match the screw that I have and be good to go. Was the Raptor ever available with a 20mm dia. Y axis ballscrew? My 30x60 machine has a 20mm dia. ballscrew on the X axis so having a matching 20mm dia. on the Y axis would be nice if a larger ballnut mount could be made to fit behind the existing Z carriage, although I suspect there's very little benefit to going to a larger dia. ballscrew.

Thanks

Page 223 of 225 FirstFirst ... 123173213220221222223224225 LastLast