Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the input Dave and Will. Sounds like I'm not too far astray then

BobL.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WillsCNC View Post
    Bob,

On my unit I did not have to make any adjustments to the two vertical supports. My unit was tight, could not find any movement but maybe something to check in the future. Will
    Will, on mine they definately needed adjustment. Three out of the 4 lower bearings did not rotate when the gantry was moved. I don't know how you would know unless you took the lower covers off though.

Anyhow, appreciate the input.
    BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,

Something I will check again but sure it was tight. Had no movement when I tried to move the gantry supports. It's been some time but something I'll check out in the morning. Been thinking today about changing a few things on my unit with is what is so great with a Machine like this. I'll let you know if I find any Play...

Will

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Been reading your thread. And some thoughts.

You mentioned Jet lathe. I to had one of those. Then I moved to a CNC "Lathe" type setup.

Look at this guy's stuff and what he's done.
    Simpsons36's Channel - YouTube

His design not only acts as a indexing head, it also acts as a lathe. I've purchased one along with his tail stock and the trunnion table. I'm planning to cut aluminum motorcycle grips with mine. This was something I wanted to make myself, however, I was lucking enough to find his stuff and decided to NOT mess with doing something he has already done and the price was well worth the investment.

In doing your indexing head mounting, I would think you would want it to be as ridged as possible. I'm not seeing how that's going to happen with the way you have it drawn up. Just my thoughts.

Awesome job so far!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by osphoto View Post
    Been reading your thread. And some thoughts.

You mentioned Jet lathe. I to had one of those. Then I moved to a CNC "Lathe" type setup.

Look at this guy's stuff and what he's done.
    Simpsons36's Channel - YouTube

His design not only acts as a indexing head, it also acts as a lathe. I've purchased one along with his tail stock and the trunnion table. I'm planning to cut aluminum motorcycle grips with mine. This was something I wanted to make myself, however, I was lucking enough to find his stuff and decided to NOT mess with doing something he has already done and the price was well worth the investment.

In doing your indexing head mounting, I would think you would want it to be as ridged as possible. I'm not seeing how that's going to happen with the way you have it drawn up. Just my thoughts.

Awesome job so far!

That's a pretty interesting video.

I have not fully realized the design of the 4th axis yet. I'm not quite sure in what regard the rigidity is an issue. Your probably right but I'm missing the point somehow. The current plan is to mount a piece of 1/2" 7075 to the frame. To this will be bolted a pair of 1" linear rails, 4 trucks/bearings. To these bearings will be mounted a mount for the rotary table. Will this not work?

I have no clue what I'm going to do for the tailstock yet.

Keep in mind I am mainly interested in turning wood. The Jet lathe is a wood lathe. The main things I'm after is to easily be able to take a workpiece mounted in a four jaw chuck from the Jet wood lathe to the CNC machine and back again without removing it from the chuck.

I also want to be able to turn between centers, even though I realize in the orientation I have it drawn will limit the spindle length.

I appreciate you taking time to read the thread and am open to all suggestions as I am kind of winging this thing.

Any suggestions on the 4th axis implementation are more than welcome, they are probably necessary

Thanks for the comments.
    BobL.

Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,

Something I will check again but sure it was tight. Had no movement when I tried to move the gantry supports. It's been some time but something I'll check out in the morning. Been thinking today about changing a few things on my unit with is what is so great with a Machine like this. I'll let you know if I find any Play...

Will
    I'm not doubting you Will. In fact, your machine seems to be performing admirably.

I was merely pointing out that in my case the adjustments were mandatory. BTW, putting those lover covers on is a lot like working under the dashboard of a car. (Not that I find myself doing that anymore )

BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The 4th axis may become ridged in your design along it's base, but not so much in between the centers of the rotary and tail stock. Ie, think lathe. I don't see any support/beam beneath the length of the axis as in between the legs of your table in the area of your axis.

Again, think of your lathe in how it's designed. There may be some flex in the design as it stands. flex in the area of cutting along the axis. Specially if you where to do big cuts.

And if all you want to do is wood, then what I'm explaing may not effect your setup at all.

I use Alibre also as my CAD. Works well for designing parts in my budget.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahh, I see.

You're correct. The open ended design at the rotary end could be an issue.

The last cross beam toward the end has been moved back based on some excellent advise by awerby (above).

Although I havn't fully fleshed out the tailstock setup I envision a support (aka lathe ways) between the sides, maybe some extrusion. This could be inserted and removed to provide support for the tailstock that would ride along it.

My hope is that once I figure that out, it will supply the required support to prevent 'spreading' of the frame. If not I will have to add some additional support. I left the end open to allow easy access and loading of the stock mounted on the rotary axis.

Hope that makes sense.

Once again, thanks much for the input.

BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good morning Bob,

Just checked the gantry and it seamed tight. I did snug it up just a bit to see if it makes any difference.

As far as the RP. I wish the screw on the gantry was RP. When you get the machine running the RP will be much less noisey than the screw drive, at least on my machine and i think it runs smoother. Keep up the good work.....

Will

Downloads
    Uploads

Good morning Bob,
    Just checked the gantry and it seamed tight. I did snug it up just a bit to see if it makes any difference.
    Cool. Just more evidence that no two machines left the same.

As far as the RP. I wish the screw on the gantry was RP. When you get the machine running the RP will be much less noisey than the screw drive, at least on my machine and i think it runs smoother.
    Will
    Wow. Now that's sure interesting. Really curious to find out what kind of a rattle trap I'm constructing here

BTW, guess who's off from work early for some quality shop time

Thanks Will,
    BobL.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need Help with 8020 T-Nut selection

Have been making progress, although there's not much visible difference.

I ordered some aluminum stock to make joining plates to secure the XYZ Gantry cross beams to my frame. I also ordered some roll in T-Nuts from Misumi for their 4080 extrusions.

These nuts will not roll into the 8020 extrusion (if that's what it is). I believe the cross beams are 8020 40 Series extrusions.

According to page 649 of the 8020inc Catalog I need nuts with a compatability code of 8-40. Acording to page 728 a roll in nut with an M8 thread would be part number 13094. So these are what I need, yes? It says they are for 30 Series extrusions, but I'm assuming there is cross over (Never ordered anything from 8020inc). Since they are a little pricey to just buy and hope (I did that already) I was hoping someone could verify this for me.

E-Bay Ad
    (from the ad)
    --------------------------------------
    METRIC 30 Series Zinc-Plated Steel Self Aligning M8 Thread Roll In T-Nuts, Part #13094.

These METRIC T-nuts are NEW INVENTORY from the factory, measure 16mm long x 11.6mm wide x 4.6mm thick, and load from the profile ends or sides. Each piece works best with the 30 Series profile and is compatible in our 8mm slot width profiles.

--------------------------------------

Also, I've got some mini XLR female connectors to use for my home/limit switches. I'm working up the final design.

Have also ordered some male mini XLR connectors.

Have started working up a wiring diagram. I ordered some panel meters. Sorry, but I like the buttons/knobs/lights and crap.

Also finished installing the gearboxes. I could not get ALL the backlash out by sense of feel without what appears to me to be undue pinion/rack engagment force. It is not much and I'm guessing it's in the gearbox itself (?). I'm hoping the 10:1 ratio will make it imperceptable. If it is in the gearbox then some backlash compensation in Mach may be beneficial (?).

Anyhow, having fun but not much more to report at the moment, but do want to order some Nuts.

Thanks,
    BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    I checked my quote and what I got was 75-3453 which I can't find in catalog. It was a 8mm roll in nut and Button head screw. Yes its 40 series for the cross pieces and that is 8-40 compatibility code.
    It looks like 30 and 40 are not compatible.
    Give them a call, they are pretty good on things over the phone.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Dave.

I'm kind of surprised no one gave a firm yeah or nay with as many folks that use 8020 stuff around. I might have worded my question badly though. Question is will 13904 nuts fit in 8020 40 series extrusions? Or is the a better/cheaper alternative?

Sure looks like the right ones to me though

BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    I found those nuts in the catalog I have and yes they will work. They seem to be universal ones.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Dave. There seems to be quite a bit of cross-over. Found a slightly better deal on some 3915 nuts and ordered them.

I'll go back to working on my home switches til the nuts arrive. And some more head scratching over my wiring diagram

BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    I have some of those and the ball keeps them in place nicely. You will like them.
    Good luck on the Limit switches. Drop me an email if you have any questions or want a second set of eyes. ;-)

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just saw this on Ebay today. Price seems good for a an indexing head!

CNC Router Rotational Axis, the 4th Axis, A axis for the engraving machine | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by osphoto View Post
    Just saw this on Ebay today. Price seems good for a an indexing head!

CNC Router Rotational Axis, the 4th Axis, A axis for the engraving machine | eBay
    That does seem like a good price. But I have no use for a three jaw chuck. I already have a Phase 2 6" Rotary table and a motor/controller to use on it. I'm not convinced that the Phase 2 is the best choice. I'm a little afraid I fell prey to the 'spend money once' adage.

But, since I have all that I will see about using it when the time comes and see how it goes. That dang Rotary table is heady tho. It weighs around 60+ lbs.

I haven't had a lot of time to think about the rotary set up yet. Trying to get a handle on the control wiring. Of course, there's no rush on the rotary setup yet, not til the machine is moving

Thanks for the link though, that's looks cool and very reasonable. Would be nice to have a plug and play solution.

BobL.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Home Switches just about done :)

One of the things I've been working on are some home/limit(?) switches. I originally was going to cast the body to hold the parts but ran into some issues and ended up using HDMW.

It actually worked out pretty good. I milled the body shells out of 3/4" HDMW and was able to leave it as part of the body. Having access to both sides of the switch assembly made it easy to assemble. I checked that the LED lit when a magnet was present at each stage. Come to think of it I never tested the actual output. Sure hope they work, hmm.

Anyhow, they came out pretty neat I think. Doing this allowed me to incorporate the 90 degree oreientation between the arms so that I could use straight connectors (easier to obtain, and cheaper than the 90 degree connectors).

I used Mini-XLR 3 pin connectors with gold plated pins. Just filled each shell with epoxy. I'm sure that could be made with more care and look better but this will work

Still working on my wiring diagram.

Got some nuts that will fit into the extrusions supplied by XYZ Gantry.

Have the plates to attach the machine to the frame drilled. Just need to clean them up some then I can do the final adjustments to the frame and secure the machine to the frame.

Thanks for looking.
    BobL.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XYZ Gantry Build with Rotary Axis-100_0193sm-jpg   XYZ Gantry Build with Rotary Axis-100_0194sm-jpg   XYZ Gantry Build with Rotary Axis-100_0195sm-jpg   XYZ Gantry Build with Rotary Axis-100_0199sm-jpg  

XYZ Gantry Build with Rotary Axis-100_0200sm-jpg   XYZ Gantry Build with Rotary Axis-100_0203sm-jpg   XYZ Gantry Build with Rotary Axis-100_0204sm-jpg   XYZ Gantry Build with Rotary Axis-100_0205sm-jpg  

XYZ Gantry Build with Rotary Axis-100_0207sm-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob

Been taking it all in from afar. So nice and a true learning experience that we all have different ideas on how to make it work. Yes we are the R & D for XYZ. Keep up the good work. Your getting close......

Will

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast