New 4x4 XYZ Gantry Build - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New 4x4 XYZ Gantry Build

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Will, what size Nema34s did you decide to go with?
    BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,

The (3) are 434 oz-in 2.8 A 1.8 deg step

The z is 276 oz-in 2.8 amp

Will

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Will.

I assume you're running a 48v supply with that and looking for about 200-240 in/min rapids? (just a semi-guess).

Are you running Geko's with that?

BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,

I got the STDR-4C from Jeff at Soieneris. He has all the specs on his site. Speed will depend on many factors but that would be a nice rate.

Will

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Little things done yesterday and today. Have the gear boxes mounted, cross members attached and the X axis cable chain done. Have just gotten a motor moving on my desk so will do more with that next.

Will

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Downloads
    Uploads

Lookin' good Will !

That 4x4 sure looks like a nice size, if only I had room for it.

I think I'm going to go with Keling motors, some Geko's and probably a PMDX board, but haven't ordered any of it yet.

I'm hoping you have better luck with your SS. I'm a little surprised that board isn't more popular and therefore developed (unless I'm wrong).

Anyhow, good luck going forward

BobL.

Downloads
    Uploads

Will,
    How solid does that Z structure seem to you. I asked Dave and he said it was pretty solid, but I don't know, the more I look at the various pictures it just seems odd with those V's. I guess I'm just to used to linear rails with bearing blocks.
    Probably just too much staring at ya'lls machines while I await 'the call'
    BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,

As far as I can tell right now it seams heavy enough but still don't have the correct router mount so that is not on yet. May change my mind later. The Z is not a flat plate and the way its made should give it extra support, like when you put bends in steel or whatever it becomes stronger.... time will tell.

Will

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    So to give you some more info on the control Will and I have.
    Its a Gecko G540 4 axis controller. It has a 48V power supply.
    Max current per phase is 3.5A.
    I think all the stepper that both Will and I have are 2.8A. So its not running all out.
    You can get a SS that plugs into several of the PMDX board. Steve at PMDX makes nice stuff. You will like whatever you get from him. I think several of his boards support more than 4 Axis. I recall you needed 5.
    There are many SS out there. In some ways its more developed than the web site would make you believe. I understand he is working on an Ethernet version which may address what seems to be the big wart on the product. Its susceptibility to noise corrupting the USB.
    I had my buddy over who is an experienced automation electrician. He reviewed what I have done wiring wise and gave it an A plus. He has a couple of tricks we are going to try once I get my SS back. He thinks the VFD might be what breaks the camels back. I have a pretty good EMI filter on it but he had a couple of tricks we will try to prove it the VFD. Then once proved we can attack it.
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had noticed some flexing in my Z. After digging around I determined that the upper V groove bearing was not adjusted properly.
    It looks much better.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave, Yeah, those were my assumptions on the equipment. I do hope to cut mine loose on the rapids though. I'm assuming acceleration will be the actual limiting factor.

I'm not bashing the SS, I wish I would have gotten the warm fuzzy I was looking for. I did some looking around both here and a couple of other places including their forum and the noise issue kept popping up. It also seemed answers did not come quick on their forums, even to some simple ones. Of course it could have appeared that way during the few days I was checking it. Either way, I've got a dedicated PC with 2 PPs and have never had any issues running it this way so I guess it I might as well stay with what has worked.

If I could have used it to remote my PC I would have been all over it.

Will, I realized the Z plate was contoured, just hope it's solid enough. Although when I HAVE to run it closer to it's full extension I won't be milling that fast and when I am running it fast I could raise the work so it doesn't need to extend that far, IF needed.

Thanks guys, nice having you guys with these machines I can bug

BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Time to post an update. Been busy doing small things on my build. Waiting for longer cables from Jeff. The Z and slave are to short and want to run them first and work back. I think my router mount is shipped. Got a fax when sleeping that is was shipped. Second time they have done that to me. Have the table for the computer make. Need to sand it and one more coat of paint. Have a place to plug in my router in and today will get wood for the shelf to place the controller on.

Will

Computer shelf

[IMG][/IMG]

Adjustable in the 8020

[IMG][/IMG]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lazy susan on top

[IMG][/IMG]

Electrical for router

[IMG][/IMG]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will,
    I just love your table for the computer. I might just have to plagiarize that idea. ;-)
    I need to move the computer off my table saw.
    It is amazing how much cable that machine will eat in it's cable trays.
    Before you know it you will be cutting with it.
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Been busy since my last post. I make a cabinet that fits under the stand to hold my controller and has 2 drawers for storage. Knowing the problems of the SS it has a space for a computer tower. Hope I don't need it. Added another cross member to the front of the machine to make the table stronger. The sub base is attached. Have the new router mount and that is on. Just got my wires so will work on that this afternoon.

Will

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will,
    That is looking really good.
    I am not following why you added the cross brace. It will give you a place to screw the top down instead of bolting it. ;-)
    Good idea on room for tower :-(
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,

The main reason for the cross member is to have support under X0, Y0. I was not sure if the metal one would be under that so added this to be on the safe side.

Will

Downloads
    Uploads

Will, I gotta say that is coming together REAL nice. Good job dude.
    BobL.

Downloads
    Uploads

I hadn't even considered mounting my PC on the machine itself. I have it and my monitor wall mounted in the garage.

After seeing how yours' is coming together I may have to think about that.

Once again, looks good !

BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will,
    That makes sense. I guess its all about where the center line of your spindle is with respect to the ends of the gantry plates and where you have located you cross rail.

It will all work out.

Since you guy have the bigger machines I imagine that you can get away form mounting the monitor to the machine. I am thinking the way my machine moves a little when rapidly accelerating and decelerating mounting a monitor might make me sea sick. ;-)

Dave

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast