New XYZ Gantry Kit

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: New XYZ Gantry Kit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New XYZ Gantry Kit

After waiting patiently my XYZ Gantry Router Kit arrived today.

I will try to keep up a post on my progress.
    The unit came well packaged and arrived in good condition.
    It's specifications are
    24" X
    24" Y
    8" Z
    Got the mechanical kits only.

Other bits are as follows
    2.2 KW Water cooled Spindle Keling
    Control System Smooth Stepper and G540 Soigeneris
    Steppers 276 Oz NEMA 23 Soigeneris
    Computer Shuttle X50V2 Touch Screen 15.6"
    Mach 3

First step is to make a table for it. Probably do something out of 80/20.
    I will try to post lots of pictures. I have some experience with CNC but not a lot. I have a Sherline DeskCNC and a KX3. I wanted something with a working area so I saw a prototype of the XYZ system at CNC workshop last year so I figured I needed one.

Dave

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by dfmiller; 04-12-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Adding some pictures

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default It came well packaged

It arrived in a really nicely made crate of 3/4" plywood.
    It made the trip from Illinois to the B.C. intact.

My daughter helped me unload it and the heaviest piece was manageable by one but easier with two.
    I guess I should add it's her machine once I get it done. It like anything for a 20 something kid. I will pay the bills and do all the work and she hopefully will have all the fun. She is taking a CNC apprenticeship at the local community college and I dragged her to the CNC workshop last year. She has some interest and I figured it would be a good learning experience for us. She is almost finished her first 8 month ( All manual machining) and about to do a 8 month work term.

The unit is very well made and I am looking forward to making some chips.
    The shipping weight was 274 lbs. And as you can see it solidly constructed.

Time to figure out base for it.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks nice!

Downloads
    Uploads

Very good looking machine, can't wait to see it run. How much was it by the way?

Good for you, getting your daughter interested in CNCs. Was she interested in woodworking before or is this new to her?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Paul,
    Yes I am looking forward to seeing it run too. ;-)
    Its a couple weeks away from getting there. Base is first step.
    Thanks for asking about my kid.

My daughter made her own decision on what trade she wanted. I did not argue with her choice. She does not enjoy sitting in a class or reading. She was not a stellar student in high school until she happened to take a metal fab course because she thought the teacher was hot. She says lots of girls took the course for the same reason. She enjoyed it and had a chance to do the first year apprentice for metal fab in final year of high school. This was the transformation from a kid with marks of just passing to one with marks are a really good. They have a program in our district that teaches the first year college course in high school as a way to keep kids interested. She was the only girl in the class. If I recall the class was 15 to 20 kids. She was not very motivated and found lots of reasons not to got to school before this course. She stuck it out and quickly proved she could put up with the pranks that the guys were doing. In the end I think there were only a couple kids that passed the course. She was one. :-) After high school she did not try very hard to get a job in the metal fab trade and spent a year or so doing retail clothing sales which she did well at but did not like the crap and poor wages. She took some time off and finally I had to give her a set of choices. Job, school or move out.

She of course thought about it and decided that she liked the idea of a trade but did really like the metal fab option. She signed up for a Trades Discovery course at the local Polytech. Bcit.ca. She ended up in the Trades Discovery for Women class. In the course they were exposed to all the trades offered at the school. Your standard Carpentry, Joiner, Electrician, HVAC, Welding, machining etc. The spent a short time in all. 2 to 5 days. She seemed to be having fun and quietly was eliminating options. She has helping me out in recent years doing things around the house like wiring, framing, roofing etc.

The course involved a several week job placement, she indicated that the CNC thing was interesting so I managed to arrange a job placement at a local CNC shop. It was a dream shop , high end aerospace place. Really clean and well run.

She had a great time at the shop and was treated very well. She then signed up for the CNC program at BCIT. She started it and had the misfortune of getting sick 6 weeks into the program and missed a week of school. Its a fast moving course and after some discussion with the school we decided she would withdraw and take a subsequent class. After a nice break she started back and is a couple days away from completing the first 8 month course. Yes I am a very proud Papa. He marks are good, she is very interested in school.

She is not a wood worker. She in fact claims to hate working with wood. I expect she will use the machine mostly as a tool to learn more about programming etc. Saying its for here is also an excuse to buy it ;-) My theory is learning more about how the machine works will make her a better machinist. I expect that she will be making metal chips not wood in the future.

I do have a Barker PM horizontal Mill in pieces that is my next CNC project :-)

So that's the end of rave about my daughter Heather. A great kid who seems to have found her spot in life. Time will tell what happens next.

Thanks for reading
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,
    How much you spend on that machine? Did you choose your rail by yourself? Their rails good. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I forgot to answer the question about cost.
    XYZGantry.com sells mechanical kits and complete machines form what I understand. They have a request for quote form that you fill out and the offer a solution. I told then I wanted 24 x 24 x 8.
    They came back with a price. I believe its was $1500.00. It might have been an introductory offer. I will be up front and report that we worked a deal on my unit. I am giving them some feedback on my unit as I understand it is one of the early units. They have encouraged me to post my progress and comments publicly. I have opinions and will share them. I have no connection to them other than getting a deal on the unit.

I looked around at other options before I bought. I would rather use the machine and not spend my time building it and scrounging things on Ebay. I don't have the patience to do that. For instance I have the experience to put together the CNC controls but chose to get a completed unit from Jeff at Soigeneris.

Yes I think their rails are very interesting. Given the size of my unit I think the rails are very very stout. Their adjustment mechanisms look very elegant etc. I will as thing progess give more details.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dfmiller View Post
    So that's the end of rave about my daughter Heather. A great kid who seems to have found her spot in life. Time will tell what happens next.

Thanks for reading
    Dave
    Well congrats, this sounds like a win-win for both of you

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The main feature that makes the unit interesting is the main rails which are an aluminum extrusion with two embedded steel strips for the V groove bearing to run on. In theory they should be perfectly aligned. I have not tested this yet but expect its accurate.
    Here is a picture of X axis rail with the rack mounted.

Her is the inside of the rack where the 40x120 80/20 is attached.

Here is a shot of the upper steel rail for the Vee groove bearing to roll. They have some nice covers and wiper for the bearings.

Progress report. I have a base designed and getting a quote on the material. Took a little while to figure out how to do 80/20 in Solidworks. It you grab the profiles from 3D Content Central you can use the Weldment Structural Members and it creates a cute list etc. If anyone is interested I can upload a couple of screen shots.

Thanks
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

The red looks supper.

Do you think the V rails are something they make or are a stock product?

Is there a gear reduction on the X or Y?

I don't see the how they did the Z yet.

For a router the Z looks a bit tall but it is a really efficient looking machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    The red looks supper.

Do you think the V rails are something they make or are a stock product?

Is there a gear reduction on the X or Y?

I don't see the how they did the Z yet.

For a router the Z looks a bit tall but it is a really efficient looking machine.

I can't answer the other questions, but their website has this link: Integral-V Linear Guide system LINK

If they sell to individuals/DIYers and not companies only, we could see this linear guide system popping up on new builds here.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

From what I read the extrusion is available for sale as a standard product. This company is a division of PBC that uses one of their products to make machines. Mine is one of the Beta machines.
    I will post some pictures later on on detail on the axis.
    Can give it all away in one posting. ;-) My goal is to post details on one thing at a time till I run out of interesting details to post. This project is a hobby project after all.
    Y axis is conventional ball screw nut and leadscrew.
    X axis is rack and pinion with a Wittenstien 10:1 planetary reduction gearbox. Based on the size of the manual it should be low backlash.
    The Z axis is conventional ball screw and lead screw.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice machine; your daughter is a lucky girl! Good luck to her and her endeavors!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Am I the only one who noticed that nice metallic red machine is a good match for your metallic red truck?

It looks great, and it's interesting to see how they solved one the the design issues with the moving gantry with that very simple dual rack resign and motors on the gantry legs. Cool.

Can you show a close up of the bottom V bearing assembly? It looks to have white wipers and I'm curious how they set up the wipers and bearing blocks etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Roman,

I could be wrong, but the blue things look like machined motor mounts. The motors would mount onto the square flange on the outboard ends. There would be a coupling inside and an access hole in the round body.

My question would be if the mounts are fixed in place on the vertical riser plate, or do they have a tension spring?

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

On their website there are motors on the blue thingies. Not much other details to be seen though.

Interesting as to how they integrated V rollers into extrusion construction machines.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love the V-bearing extrusion & the Uniguide Z axis. Sounds like this company worked with robotics & extrusions and decided they had all the tools to build a CNC so they did it.

If I had to pick one thing about the design I don't like is the arms for the gantry. I noticed in their actual video with a working prototype they did not use those arms.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm assuming that the ganty uprights are machined aluminum, is that correct? At any rate, looks very nice.
    It would be nice to see more women in this male dominted field of CNC. I've worked with some women, and I love that most (if not all) have an extreme attention to detail.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Roman,
    I will try to get a good picture of the bearing and wipers.
    LOL on the color match. I saw that when I posted the pictures.

The Blue things are 10:1 reduction drives. The motor mounts are the un-anodized hunks or Alum.

The mounts for the bearings are adjusted with set screws and cams. I will get some pictures.

I am interested Ross what you don't like with the gantry arms? The are rather large and sort of required with all the bits they have for the bearing adjustments.

Yes attention to detail is important. Heather was telling me today that she does not have "anal about things" like some people in her class. But she make up for that in production. I figure she could spend more time in the details. Anyway she came home all excited today after her first job interview for her Co-op term. She was offered a job and accepted and a real interesting place. She went in thinking it might not be a place to work but they wowed her. Was offered job on the spot.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gear reduction picture

Cam Adjusters on Lower bearings

Lower Bearing

Lower Bearing and wipers

They also have adjustments to I assume dial in the gear box to rack position

Dave

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast