New XYZ Gantry Kit - Page 4

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New XYZ Gantry Kit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob ,
    So was I.
    I will try to quantify it ASAP. Hopefully its something simple.
    I will also have to check what they specify. Trying to be objective.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

May the force be with you Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    Got a very quick response from my contact at XYZ. They say it should be less than 0.001" mine is more than that. I will check to see if something is loose.
    I am confident it will meet their spec.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. I just heard back from the pbclinear rep I sent an e-mail to. He says with regards to the lead screw driven Uni-Guide:

The Uni-Guide uses an anti-backlash nut. Standard accuracy is .0072 in/ft, and repeatability is .0002”

I'm assuming I can program the .0072 in/ft error out in Mach 3 after doing some measuring tests, and that .0002 is essentially the backlash figure. I'm assuming because I haven't used Mach 3 yet.

So that's the way I'm going to go, I just need to decide on a .25 or a .5 lead. Don't really know which one to use.

I'd still be interested in hearing why xyzgantry changed their z-axis design. Perhaps I should send them an e-mail and ask.

As far as your build goes, I'm really surprised the hear that you may have some backlash on one of your axis. The kit looks super high quality. I'm interested to hear how it works out. I hope it's as you say, just something loose.

I've been making some things on my mill-drill, and the backlash on that thing is horrible. When I purchased it, I never even thought to think about it. I just thought it would be accurate. One of the reasons why I am paying attention to it now for CNC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes its a quality build. I have it apart looking at it. Its easy to take apart to inspect.It looks like an issue with the Ball nut. The Z is nice and backlash free. Working with them to figure out next step.

Mach 3 has some error mapping abilities if I recall. I guess it depends how much Z you have and what is your target for accuracy.
    I think most people get too wrapped up about leadscrew accuracy etc. This is the Woodworking router table section not the watch making section ;-)
    Minimal backlash is desired so your holes are round.

Last edited by dfmiller; 05-24-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: If I could only spell

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dfmiller View Post
    This is the Woodworking router table section not the watch making section ;-)
    Minimal backlash is desired so your holes are round.
    Sorry to hear about your woes Dave. Worse thing is it could hinder your progress and I know if I was at the point you are I would be frothing at the bit to get it going.

Problems happen. I'm hoping PBC deals with it promptly, either with a little engineering support or replacement parts or whatever. I respect a company more after a sometimes necessary support call that is handled well.

Anyhow, sitting here staring at this thread about your comment about making round holes it struck me that the term "A nice press fit" would surely have opposite connotations for a woodworker and a machinist.

Good luck Dave.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    If things were easy everyone could do anything.
    PBC is getting top marks on any issues I have. They are promptly replying to emails and sorting out stuff. I have no complaints at all. They are dispatching some replacement parts.

Yes I was hoping to be cutting this week. That might not happen. I have some other stuff in the pipeline. My table top extrusion arrived today ahead of schedule. I have to drill and countersink some holes. Waiting for an auxiliary power supply to add for prox switches. That should arrive later today. I have some time this week to play so anything can happen.

I can see the light and the end of the tunnel.
    Thanks
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Time to say thanks to Dave for all your hard work and research
    into this build. If anyone can work this out it's you. We all will have better machines because of this. Keep up the good work and contacts are good to have.

Will

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will,
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    I have spent my whole life being a guinea pig. I am having lots of fun.
    My motivation is that it will be a better machine after I have finished it. Then the next one I buy from them will be nicer and to my liking.

I have almost convinced myself it too small. LOL
    I must say I have met some good people here. I am learning lots.
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,

I can sell you my Larken 2x2 put them together wow a 4x4 dual head. LOL
    I have had mine 10 years and has been good. You learn alot. I think for the short term your going to be happy. If this does not work out then your not out so much money. I do think it will be worth it and like you said the next one will be better.

Will

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Dave,

Got my order in, but I don't think it's in the system yet.

I've been starting to think of how I want to configure my build and was wondering if you happened to have any idea what the gantry assembly weighs? (I didn't know if you happened to get on a scale while holding it )

Any idea when your parts are expected in?

Hope you and yours have a great holiday weekend.

BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob
    That's great you have it ordered. Any ETA?
    Whole unit weights 145 lbs without motors, spindle and base. That's what the drawing says. The gantry my guess would be 40 percent to 50% of that. That's my WAG.

Parts have been shipped. I was expecting getting them in a couple of days. Did a track and it seems that they are coming slow boat. That was not the intention of my contact but it looks like that how it worked out. :-(

I have some wiring to do on my control box to add power for my prox switches. And my table top material arrived a few days early so I will drilling and fitting that when I have time. Lots to do while I wait for parts.

I hope you and your family have a great Memorial Day weekend. up here in Canuckistan our long weekend was last weekend. I had a good time with my family and friends.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info Dave.

No idea on the ETA. They haven't made the initial charge to my account and I haven't heard back. I know I've got quite a wait ahead of me but I would like to see the initial charge to my card as then at least I will know I'm 'in the system' if ya know what I mean.

It's good that you have some things to do that will furthur your build. I can't think of anything worse than being as close as you are and just being able to sit there and wait for parts.

Have you already thought of/planned on any additions/accessories? Things like dust shoe for a vac attachment, a hold down methodology, etc. Might help keep your mind in the game so to speak.

My bad on the holiday. I kinda knew you were in Canada but it slipped my mind. I'm in Fla now, but grew up in Michigan. It's about this time every year I miss the weather up there. Hot and muggy is not really my preferred weather. Although, we are getting ready to enter the hurricane season for a little possible excitment

BobL.

Last edited by boblon; 05-26-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Fat fingered typing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Prototype

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    The Z axis is a Uni-Guide from Pacific Bearing.

PBC Linear Uni-Guide - Modular Guide System

.............wait a minute........no it's not.

See the XYZ gantry video here:

YouTube - ‪XYZgantry's Channel‬‏

They used the Uni-Guide in the video so I'm guessing they must have changed their design to incorporate the IVT rails into their Z axis instead of the Uni-Guide. I wonder why?
    NIC 77, that video link you point out is the very first prototype for the XYZ gantry. It still used the Uni-Guide; however, the current prototype takes the Uni-Guide and just flips it 180 degrees. That's the style that Dave currently has. Its just an upgrade in the evolution of the gantry design.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Things to evolve and hopefully get better. :-)
    Bob,
    Yes going to do a dust shoe. I have not decided on which design but they all look about the same.
    I have been thinking of doing a vacuum table for a while. This will be a good place to try one out. I will most likely do one with a grid and rubber seal. I have a couple of Vacuum pumps lying around. One is a medium size one for this type of thing , the other is a Automotive A/C service unit.

Many thing to think about. Got the power supply mounted in the control box today and now have to wire up the limits to the DB15HD connector and test them out.

I also brought out the G540 external Estop connections today while I was in the box so I can mount a second more accessible Estop. Safety First. Must remember to jumper those wires or I will be scratching my head on why itr does not work. ;-)
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by esdios View Post
    NIC 77, that video link you point out is the very first prototype for the XYZ gantry. It still used the Uni-Guide; however, the current prototype takes the Uni-Guide and just flips it 180 degrees. That's the style that Dave currently has. Its just an upgrade in the evolution of the gantry design.
    Have a closer look at the pictures, specifically post #57. The Uni-Guide does not use V-Groove bearings. It uses a round rail with a frelon gold liner.

The extrusion looks like a Uni-Guide but has V-rails attached instead, which makes me think that perhaps Pacific Bearing is making some custom extrusions for them that are not available to the general public, although that is purely speculation on my part.

The video clearly shows a round rail Uni-Guide.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, you are right. I missed that. They took the Uni-Guide extrusion put the v race in there. Good catch.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default From drawings in manual

The manual calls out an IVT-D075 section for the Z if my memory serves me correctly. I was looking at the manual today.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

That's got to be a custom extrusion, not available in the Pacific Bearing catalog.

Custom IVT Extrusions and Linear Motion Systems - Integral V Technology

which I'm assuming means that either xyzgantry paid the big bucks to have some custom extrusion dies made or they're actually a subsidiary of Pacific Bearing.

It doesn't really matter for my build, this is simply for interest's sake at this point.

Dave, I'm watching this thread intently to see if all your problems get sorted out with the backlash. It'd be nice to see that thing tearing up some wood or aluminum!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

NIC77
    I thought I had mentioned it earlier.
    XYZ Gantry is a division of PBC. All the paperwork, Invoices etc are from PBC.
    And the Manual says a division of PBC.
    I did not know that this was not common knowledge.

Thanks for your interest. I too am getting anxious to make some chips.

We will see how far we get over the weekend. I have decided to put it back together and proceed. I will change out the ball nut when the new one arrives. Maybe by end of next week ;-(
    I can do a lot without worring about the backlash. I could even do some test cutting. But I have a bit to do before that.

Dave

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast