New XYZ Gantry Kit - Page 3

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New XYZ Gantry Kit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    On motors, I am using NEMA 23's. Its just a mount size. I imagine you can find motors with enough torque to meet your needs. You said yours is 24" x 48" If mine will run NEMA 23"s your should also since there is not extra mass as your stationary rails are longer but the rest is the same. What are you using for drives? They might be just fine. Going with what you have will get you up and running.
    I am using a G540 and 280 Oz I think. They are rated a 2.8A and the G540 will do 3.5A so I believe I can get bigger motors if required.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info Dave. That will help.

I'm using Keling 5042 Drivers and their 425 oz steppers. I brought an extra motor and driver when I built it so I've got the 4 I would need.

I'd be curious once you do final motor tuning what your pps and microstepping settings are.

Those switches look great. Clean. I was just going to go with mechanical swithces but now I don't know.

Build's looking great Dave. You know I'm going to rip off all your good ideas

BobL.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dfmiller View Post
    Bob,
    Y and Z Axis (Ball Screws) are 0.002" per rev.
    Move the decimal a couple of places to the right ?
    Kidding, no thread is complete without a typo or two.

It has the appearance of a really well thought out machine, solid and compact in it's components. Pretty too. Soon we'll see how it cuts, looks promising.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Please post model #s/links to those Limit switches.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cyclestart.
    If there is a typo it's in the manual. I copied that from the provided manual.
    I will have a closer look. It's only numbers. ;-)
    What I did was I took the default mach3 steps per unit. Did a move one inch and adjusted. I think it was it moved two inches on a one inch command move so I changed the number by two.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The prox switches are inductive prox switches purchased from Automation Direct.
    All credit for the selection of these switches goes to Bob Campbell. I was chatting to him about the build and he sent me the info for this series of switches. The M12x1 tap is not the easiest to obtain but I found it locally.

Prox switch
    AM1-AN-1H INDUC PROX 12mm NPN 2mm RNG 3-WIRE DC N.O. M12 Q/D SHIELDED
    Cable
    CD12M-0B-070-C1 M12 Q/D CABLE, 7M, RIGHT ANGLE, 4-POLE, GRAY PVC JACKET

The down side of the inductive proximity switch is it requires power to run. The G540/ Jeff Birt control does not have power available at the limit switch connector. I am still working out if I am going to make an external power box terminal strip or modify the control box to a DB15HD from the DB9.

They are reasonably priced. After ordering them it dawned upon me that I needed 4 instead of 3. I was unable to alter the order. Shipping to Canada from Automation direct is fedex only I believe.
    They were not able to adjust quantities even though the order had not shipped.

I found that Automation 4 less was willing to ship to Canada via USPS. I have ordered the 4th prox in a 8mm size from them.

Last edited by dfmiller; 05-22-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Crappy spelling

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave, Can you tell me what the 'Steps Per' setting is on the motor tuning screen of Mach for the X, Y, ans Z Axis?

Thanks,
    BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    I will wander out to shop, fire up the computer and copy them down.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, no hurry Dave, just the next time you happen to remember while your out there will be fine.

Enjoy your Sunday.

BobL

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the thread. Most helpful in making up my mind. Filled the form out on their site to check their prices, but I'm still waiting to hear back. How long did it take you to hear back on pricing?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    Sunday is play time. No problems
    Y 10000
    Z 10000
    X ~4263

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Morrell,
    As I have told several people patience is important when dealing with XYZ right now. The sales person has other duties and expect a delay in getting a reply. I think it seems to take a week for a quote. :-(
    I expect this will improve with time. I expect to see another person from XYZ at a workshop in a month and plan on having a chat with him about a couple of things. ;-)

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I requested a quote from them a few weeks ago? I think I posted the results in this thread, maybe not. But at any rate, I got a reply back within a matter of hours. I believe their quote system is automated.

Correction: There was some discussion of this machine on another thread. I requested quote and had it in a matter of hours.

Last edited by Treischl; 05-22-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Correction

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's great you got a quote that fast. :-)
    I started the ordering on mine a while ago. I thought my quote was not automated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info Dave.

On the quotes, I don't believe they are automated, although requests for standard sizes may go out quicker. I did notice that at the bottom of my quote it said:

"Price quoted is an IWF show introductory special"

Don't know how long this will last.

BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mine was definitely automated. I actually did two quotes. On the second one, I made a goof and it got kicked out of their "system", I received a real email the following day from the sales department.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default A couple of pictures

Here are a couple of pictures
    You can see the cross supports for the sub table.

Another one. With the plywood for the sub table to mount the control box.

More detail on the X Prox switch. One is mounted on both arms.
    I am going to use T nuts and SHCS as adjustable flags for the Prox switches

Next step is wire up a auxiliary power supply to provide power to prox switches, wire them up to connector and start final wiring. Now I have the sub table in place I can make the arm to support the cable management for the X.

Table top is to arrive this week. Might be making chips next weekend. Our long weekend was this week in Canuckastan. :-)

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

The Z axis is a Uni-Guide from Pacific Bearing.

PBC Linear Uni-Guide - Modular Guide System

.............wait a minute........no it's not.

See the XYZ gantry video here:

YouTube - ‪XYZgantry's Channel‬‏

They used the Uni-Guide in the video so I'm guessing they must have changed their design to incorporate the IVT rails into their Z axis instead of the Uni-Guide. I wonder why?

I'm going to be starting a 4x8 build very soon and I was planning on using a driven Uni-Guide system for the Z axis. It's all set up with a Nema 23 mount. All I'd have to do is mount their carriage to my gantry axis and add a spindle mount. Right now I'm not sure, because it comes standard with a lead screw, I don't know how much backlash there will be compared with a ball screw, and I don't know yet how much it would cost to upgrade to a ball screw or if they would even do it.

I'm assuming your Z axis has got a ball screw and not a lead screw is that right? I can't see that part from your pics.

From what I can see, your build looks real nice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Z is V groove rollers and a piece of aluminum with embedded steel strips.
    I don't know why the video is different. What they have looks really rigid.

Yes its a ballscrew.
    Ballscrews have backlash as do Acme. Unless you uses a anti backlash technique. From what I can see there are only single nuts on the Y and Z. I can feel some backlash in Y. I will quantify that soon. The big advantage in Ballscrews in the improved system efficiency.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dfmiller View Post
    From what I can see there are only single nuts on the Y and Z. I can feel some backlash in Y. I will quantify that soon.
    Dave
    Really? Somehow I didn't expect that as your answer. I guess I'll sit here and worry about that a bit until you can 'quantify' it.

BTW, got the order form filled out and ready to go.

BobL.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast