Adding estop to Xylotex board

Thread: Adding estop to Xylotex board

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Adding estop to Xylotex board

I use a Xylotex board driven via parallel port from a ThinkPad T20 notebook.

I don't currently have an Emergency Stop wired. My notebook is right next to the CNC router, so I've just hit the RESET in Mach3.

But I was thinking about adding a UC100 motion controller so I could use other notebooks that don't have parallel ports. But I got to thinking, maybe the reset button on Mach3 would take some time to act because the UC100 is really sort of acting like a buffer. Am I correct on that?

So I was thinking I should wire an E-Stop, but I don't know where to place it. The Xylotex manual seems to indicate one could be wired to ENAX, ENAY, ENAZ, and ground. But it also said one could be wired to the parallel port screw terminals on the Xylotex board.

If I wired to the parallel port screw terminals, that would be like telling Mach3 that I want it to stop, so I might have the same delay? Or does Mach3 interrupt the smooth stepper some how?

I hope I'm getting my point across. Limited knowledge leads to unclear questions.