Spindle speed control for SX3... - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spindle speed control for SX3...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cjdavis618 View Post
    I mean no disrespect.
    None taken - I'm genuinely interested in your reasons.

But my problem with the mill itself is the factory boards unreliable history. I know of many that had issues with thier machines right from the factory with the daughtercard that is on the power supply board.

I myself, have issues every now and again where the machine will turn on and just beep a solid tone and not completely start. That would be after the second time that I have had to replace my main board controller. It is just plain unreliable. I think by getting rid of the factory components (Or at least the ones that fail miserably) we would be better off in the long run and make a better machine from better controls. By no means am I someone that could put the electronics together in that sense, but I would buy them in a heartbeat. After hearing so many horror storys of the Sieg and the "Wait for the eternally long spin up" I would hate to see you get hampered by the faults of the original board designs.
    I completely agree with everything you say here. I think it is approach #1 that you would prefer, though, since that is the one that involves replacing all the electronics. Approach #5 simply replaces the button board in the head, which I don't think is the problem board (though I have heard the depth gauge can cause shorts on that board).

I will try whatever you make, but I am certainly not against ripping all the electronics out of mine to make a much more capable machine than I have now.
    I am aiming for a kit of parts in the $50 price range, which I should be able to get to if there is demand for 30 or more kits. I'm using all through-hole parts, so the soldering doesn't require anything heroic

Cheers,
    - Dean

Downloads
    Uploads

I myself, have issues every now and again where the machine will turn on and just beep a solid tone and not completely start.
    That is a sign that power is being provided to the front-panel button board (XMT_PANEL_1000), but that the microcontroller on the small logic card (XMT_CONTROL_1000/1500) didn't start up correctly. The way the boards are designed, the buzzer will sound continuously until the microcontroller sends an initialization sequence.

An intermittent failure could be caused by a bad connection, marginal components, or buggy software (or some combination). You should make sure all the connectors and cards are well seated and that there is no visible damage to the cable wires.

Cheers,
    - Dean

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Update

Silly me... I misunderstood the G540 documentation to mean that the +10V reference signal was an output from the G540. It is in fact an input to the G540. The analog speed output range is scaled between 0V and this reference voltage. This is completely obvious in hindsight, since VFDs typically output a +10V reference voltage (often connected to the CW terminal of a potentiometer).

Luckily, this still works with my design, though I'll get to omit a few resistors and add a wire or two. I can turn what I thought was a +10V input on my board into a +5V output. I've verified experimentally that this seems to work just fine - the G540 scales its output from 0-5V when presented a 5V reference voltage.

The question I have, then, is what do folks expect to be driving the analog speed input with (other than a G540)? I need to see specs so I can make sure it works with a variety of interfaces.

BTW, the first prototype boards are due to arrive Tuesday, so I can build them up and start integrating the software next week.

Cheers,
    - Dean

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My breakout board is the C11G from CNC4Pc. That section of the board is basically the C6 spindle board with the 0-10V output if I remember correctly. I also plan to use the C3 index board as well to verify the speed on Mach. I don't know if yo could use that in anyway for input though?

I'm looking forward to your board. It has been a sore spot for many SX3 builds.

Downloads
    Uploads

I will be using a C6 board in the SX3 for now, but will use the G540 later when I upgrade SX3 to X4 parts and transfer the spindle electronics to my G0602.

CR.

http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default A quick update...

The prototype boards came back from the fab earlier this week. I've built one of them up and am in the process of getting the software going. So far so good, though I'm only getting a few hours to work on it here and there, so progress isn't as rapid as I'd like.

I did exchange email with Arturo regarding analog compatibility of the CNC4PC C11G & C6 boards, and it sounds like it should work just like the Gecko G540.

Cheers,
    - Dean

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds great. I'm really looking forward to this. I just got my control box re-organized and have some extra space to use. Lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

put me on the list please SX3 with G540, I feel your pain with only getting a few hours here and there for projects you WANT to do instead of HAVE to do

case and point for me as I started a build thread a bit ago and thats as far as I got for a while will have to go searching to find it now so I can figure out how to post pics

made QUITE a bit of progress last weekend but still no where near done
    mill is on the stand and wired up still trying to figure out the steps per inch
    will TRY to squeeze in some more tuning time this weekend

JT

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't wait !!

If you need additional testers let me know. I also have all the stuff to program pics and Atmels. Otherwise, I'll anxiously await until they are ready.

Richard
    SX3 - G540

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,
    I have a SX3 and been reading this thread but I have a n00b question. Will this board work on a non CNC machine to incress spindle rpm? In other words can I put this board in my factory standard SX3 and have my spindle speed go past the cap of 1800rpm?
    Thanks
    Artie

Downloads
    Uploads

The motor is a 3600 rpm motor, but I believe the stock pulleys are what step it down to 1800 rpms. To get to 3600 rpm's, you need to replace one of the pulleys and the belt.

Wade

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    The motor is a 3600 rpm motor, but I believe the stock pulleys are what step it down to 1800 rpms. To get to 3600 rpm's, you need to replace one of the pulleys and the belt.

Wade
    Or both pulleys. My setup is reverse of the original belt setup. I machined new pulleys and reversed them. I get close to 6800 now.

Keep in mind though, my lowest speed is now 380+ rpm shich may not work for some steel cutting. I still have my other pulleys, if needed and also my bridgeport for that as well.

The 1:1 pulley size worked well for me also. That minumum speed was dead on at 200rpm

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
    I have a SX3 and been reading this thread but I have a n00b question. Will this board work on a non CNC machine to incress spindle rpm? In other words can I put this board in my factory standard SX3 and have my spindle speed go past the cap of 1800rpm?
    That is a really good question. The answer is that this board does not add any speed capability to the machine - it only allows your computer to operate the controls, but it is still limited to whatever a person could do using the buttons on the face of the mill.

It does allow you to correct the RPM readout if you have replaced the drive gears/pulleys to get a different drive ratio. For instance, I plan to replace the 22t timing pulley on the motor with a 44t or 45t pulley so that I roughly double the spindle speed. Without this board, the LCD would display a speed that is roughly half of the actual spindle speed.

This board will apply whatever drive ratio you set (anywhere from 1:99 to 99:1) to calculate the actual RPM. I plan to have it support two ratio settings (Hi/Lo) so if you have a setup that lets you switch the drive ratio, you can pre-program two ratios and switch between them trivially. The default settings will be 22:45 for low, and 1:1 for high, but you can change these via the front-panel buttons.

Or, you can attach a tachometer pickup and have it read the speed directly from the spindle.

The speed correction feature is independent of the CNC interface, so you don't have to actually hook this board to a computer to get a corrected RPM readout. You would just always operate it in "manual" mode.

Cheers,
    - Dean

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, good seeing progress. I have the original Syilamerica CNC card. If this won't work I would change to another breakout board.

Looking forward to the finsh kit.

Cheers,

Christian

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Quasar,
    You've been quiet lately. How is the SX3 speed control coming along?

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    Hey Quasar,
    You've been quiet lately. How is the SX3 speed control coming along?
    Hey, sorry about that. I've had a very busy month both at work and home, so I've had less project time. I am making progress though. The board is working a bit, though the software isn't reliable yet. It is somewhat more complicated than I had originally anticipated, but I am still confident I'll get it going. I expect things to settle down soon and I'll post a few more details (including pictures).

Oh, one thing I'll put out there is that I'm having a very hard time finding the 10 contact "CH2.5" connectors I need to make these boards. I've tried all my usual sources with no luck: DigiKey, Jameco, Allied Electronics, Newark, Avnet, ...

I've got a suitable alternative for the PCB side, but the cable side pretty much needs to be the real deal to mate to the spindle drive board. My plan was to order cable assemblies from Grizzly (P0619220-2A), which gives me two connectors with wires already installed for $10.50, but Grizzly only had a couple in stock. I've got a few more on backorder, but it doesn't seem to be a reliable supply. If anybody knows of a source that will sell me a hundred or so of these I'd love to hear about it.

If I can't get these connectors, folks will have to cut into their control cables and install other connectors. This may be fine, but I was hoping for a plug & play installation with no machine modifications required.

Cheers,
    - Dean

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    Hey, sorry about that. I've had a very busy month both at work and home, so I've had less project time. I am making progress though. The board is working a bit, though the software isn't reliable yet. It is somewhat more complicated than I had originally anticipated, but I am still confident I'll get it going. I expect things to settle down soon and I'll post a few more details (including pictures).

Oh, one thing I'll put out there is that I'm having a very hard time finding the 10 contact "CH2.5" connectors I need to make these boards. I've tried all my usual sources with no luck: DigiKey, Jameco, Allied Electronics, Newark, Avnet, ...

I've got a suitable alternative for the PCB side, but the cable side pretty much needs to be the real deal to mate to the spindle drive board. My plan was to order cable assemblies from Grizzly (P0619220-2A), which gives me two connectors with wires already installed for $10.50, but Grizzly only had a couple in stock. I've got a few more on backorder, but it doesn't seem to be a reliable supply. If anybody knows of a source that will sell me a hundred or so of these I'd love to hear about it.

If I can't get these connectors, folks will have to cut into their control cables and install other connectors. This may be fine, but I was hoping for a plug & play installation with no machine modifications required.

Cheers,
    - Dean
    my 2c gimme mach spindle control with the BLDC motor and I will splice and solder and crimp as many wires as it takes
    I believe I speak for the WORLD of SX3 owners !!!!!!!
    I am salivating here at this possibility, fwiw I have a vfd and baldor set-up but I really want to try and push this little motor till it cries before I start to think about that upgrade lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cornbinder23 View Post
    my 2c gimme mach spindle control with the BLDC motor and I will splice and solder and crimp as many wires as it takes
    I believe I speak for the WORLD of SX3 owners !!!!!!!
    I am salivating here at this possibility, fwiw I have a vfd and baldor set-up but I really want to try and push this little motor till it cries before I start to think about that upgrade lol
    Good to know! Lack of these connectors isn't holding me up in the development - it doesn't change the design or anything.

When the board is done, I'll offer it without the connectors for sure, and with the connectors if/when I can get them.

Cheers,
    - Dean

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, There has been quiet for some time now. What is the status?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default sx3 bldc control

Very impressive work Quazar, Ive been researching this topic for quite some time and its been a learning experiance as well. I am also very interested in this setup if you can shoot me in the right direction I would appreciate it. If theres anything I can do to help the progress let me know

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast