Spindle speed control for SX3... - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Spindle speed control for SX3...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle speed control for SX3...

As long as you are moving in the correct direction!!

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am starting my SX3 CNC conversion shortly and got excited when I found out that the Little Machine Shop was planning on selling their spindle control board designed for 230v (I am in the UK and the original was 110v - they are in the US) and then discovered that it disabled the front panel controls, and stopped being excited...until I found this thread that looks like it is EXACTLY what I am trying to achieve?

I am trying to retain the 'manual' operation of the mill as well as being able to use it with CNC - the conversion kit for the motor fittings I have allowed this, and if I could also control the spindle, this would be the icing on the cake I can cope with slow spin up speeds and 1750 RPM top speed (only had the mill 18 months and it is my first! - although I was interested to read about swapping the pulley to up the top speed? Can the original motor cope with this?)

If there is anything I can do to help, I would be happy to do so? I have limited electronics and engineering skills, but am attempting to build my own CNC electronics - using a parallel breakout board design driving stepper motor drivers based on the THB6064AH chip - the motion controller software is LinuxCNC?

The BOB design I have found has the following features?

- 4 driver outputs with PMinMO compatible flat cable headers.
    - 0-10V PWM output for spindle speed.
    - Mach3 charge pump.
    - 2 relay outputs (12V).
    - On board 12V regulator.
    - Improved Estop and charge pump functionality.
    - Extremely flexible connection scheme for limit switches, supports normal NO or NC contacts and both NPN and PNP proximity switches.

If the drivers are not up to the job I will probably go for Gecko's - G201X's perhaps?

Waiting in anticipation for any news...

Chris

Last edited by cparsons; 10-08-2014 at 07:43 AM. Reason: typos and spelling!

Downloads
    Uploads

Chris..

Keeping this thread alive.
    I use my SX3 almost daily.

Neil

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello - I see 'Quazar' has also posted on CNCFusion recently and by looking at his location it seems he has moved now

I am hoping that this project doesn't 'die' as it seems that there are quite a few looking to control their SX3 spindles!

There is even one solution using relays to 'push the buttons' which was quite clever but it relied on using the macro capabilities
    in Mach 3 and I am planning to use LinuxCNC - might be possible with this too but I am still learning about all this

I am new to model engineering, 2 years ago had never even used a lathe and now I have a Sieg SC4 and SX3 and am learning
    how to use them. It's certainly an absorbing hobby, I am making model steam engines amongst quite a few other things

I did manage to fit a DRO to the SX3 which has made a huge difference - this was a DIY kit from eBay (Chinese) and I am delighted
    with it
    Spindle speed control for SX3...-20131103_180402-jpg
    and it gave me the confidence to have a go at converting it to CNC

Whether my DIY stepper drivers and motor brackets will work successfully is another issue, of course <g>

Best wishes

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Chris,

I hope to get back to this project soon, but sadly my shop is all in boxes because of a recent move and it hasn't gotten high enough on the priority list to get much of my time.

I'm confident I can get a working solution, but it'll realistically be a few months.

Once I've got the milling machine interface firmware sorted, I'll post a poll asking a few basic questions like "kit -vs- pre-assembled for more $", etc. Once I know exactly what people want, I'll fire up a kickstarter to take orders.

Then it is just a matter of finishing the control-side firmware and having some beta boards made (I have 3 alpha boards now). Once the betas are working, I'll run the whole batch.

Cheers,
    - Dean
    - Reece Labs LLC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent - look forward to it

Never enough time to do anything, I know just what you mean

If I can do anything to help please ask, as for me a kit would be better, nice to have a go yourself (sort of)

Best wishes

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    Hi Chris,

I hope to get back to this project soon, but sadly my shop is all in boxes because of a recent move and it hasn't gotten high enough on the priority list to get much of my time.

I'm confident I can get a working solution, but it'll realistically be a few months.

Once I've got the milling machine interface firmware sorted, I'll post a poll asking a few basic questions like "kit -vs- pre-assembled for more $", etc. Once I know exactly what people want, I'll fire up a kickstarter to take orders.

Then it is just a matter of finishing the control-side firmware and having some beta boards made (I have 3 alpha boards now). Once the betas are working, I'll run the whole batch.

Cheers,
    - Dean
    - Reece Labs LLC
    I am back to looking at controlling the spindle speed on my SX3 and I found this thread - I realise your last post was a considerable time ago, and am not even sure if you still look at this forum but did you ever get any further with this?

Best wishes

Chris Parsons

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cparsons View Post
    I am back to looking at controlling the spindle speed on my SX3 and I found this thread - I realise your last post was a considerable time ago, and am not even sure if you still look at this forum but did you ever get any further with this?
    Hello Chris,

I did get fairly far with this, but ran into a serious conceptual flaw. The short version: I did get pretty far but ran into a roadblock that I didn't now how to fix. I think I now know how to fix it, but haven't had the time to resume the project. I still hope to, though I don't know when.

Long version: I had the board running a control loop trying to keep the cutter head tracking the target RPM. But the motor controller already has a control loop attempting to track the target RPM. The resulting system was a control loop inside another control loop, and the outer loop (mine) was getting fairly low-resolution updates. The net effect was that the spindle speed never really stabilizes while cutting - it oscillates up and down continuously.

The fix is to make the outer control loop only adjust the target speed input to the motor controller. Then the motor controller can control the actual spindle speed. The tricky part is that the RPM display shows you the actual speed, not the target speed, so some amount of inference is necessary when moving between speeds. However, I think I know how to do this now, but I haven't had a chance with work and life and whatnot.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    Hello Chris,

I did get fairly far with this, but ran into a serious conceptual flaw. The short version: I did get pretty far but ran into a roadblock that I didn't now how to fix. I think I now know how to fix it, but haven't had the time to resume the project. I still hope to, though I don't know when.

Long version: I had the board running a control loop trying to keep the cutter head tracking the target RPM. But the motor controller already has a control loop attempting to track the target RPM. The resulting system was a control loop inside another control loop, and the outer loop (mine) was getting fairly low-resolution updates. The net effect was that the spindle speed never really stabilizes while cutting - it oscillates up and down continuously.

The fix is to make the outer control loop only adjust the target speed input to the motor controller. Then the motor controller can control the actual spindle speed. The tricky part is that the RPM display shows you the actual speed, not the target speed, so some amount of inference is necessary when moving between speeds. However, I think I know how to do this now, but I haven't had a chance with work and life and whatnot.
    Ok - I thought that this might have been the case

I would gladly offer to help but I think this is way beyond my abilities, so I will have to hope for something to happen here or elsewhere sometime in the future

Don't worry, I know what it is like - as well as model engineering I am learning to fly (I bought a light aircraft 12 months ago) and the weekends and evenings are just not long enough...perhaps I should think again about retiring!

Best wishes

Chris (in the UK)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456