My first post since 2008 - Time to CNC my G0463 after almost a decade of procrastinan

Thread: My first post since 2008 - Time to CNC my G0463 after almost a decade of procrastinan

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My first post since 2008 - Time to CNC my G0463 after almost a decade of procrastinan

Hi all,

This is my first (meaningful) post since 2008, it's been about eight years or so since I purchased a Grizzly G0463. I've used it just a few times and mostly it's just sat in public storage and/or various garages, until this week when I pulled it out and re-commissioned it.

I'm trying to regain my bearings, so to speak, and am trying to wrap my head around what's changed in the world of CNC and benchtop milling, in the last decade. I've been very active in the 3D printing scene and also in electronics manufacturing robotic machinery, but honestly I've not machined or turned anything in a really long time. I know my way around CNC, but am basically just wanting to see what I've missed in this particular niche.

Right now, my machine is basically bone-stock, the only thing I've added to it would be some patina and/or surface rust Ideally, I'd like to go with zero-backlash ballscrews, steppers (eventually DC servos), a decent ARM Cortex-based motion controller like Smoothieboard, a high-speed spindle for really fine-pitch micro-machining work. Will be buying a CNC-ready rotary table, for sure. I won't be doing any big pieces or hogging any metal. Mostly aluminum and brass. I'd love to get the Tormach R-8 CNC taper kit that does the repeatable changeouts... oh, and some decent homing switches and touch-off probes. Definitely will be investing in those!

Some quick questions, I'm sure all of this could be answered by searching, but was looking for more of an expert opinion from some of the veterans around here that have an up-to-date idea of the state of things in CNC and benchtop milling.

Question #1, CNC Ballscrew Conversion Kits -- Who are the major players?

Years back, I had bookmarked this page, a company specializing in making CNC conversion kits for the X3 mills:

CNC Fusion

Are they still in business? Are they still the go-to company for getting CNC ballscrew conversions? I'm in the southeast United States, but wouldn't mind buying internationally, especially if the price/quality ratio was better.

Are the Chinese making CNC conversion kits yet? I recently travelled to China and can say for sure that they're capable of manufacturing exporting quality ballscrew stuff, for a great price. But I've not heard of any such company doing this.. does such a place exist?

I don't mind machining my own adapter pieces and NEMA mounts, but I don't have the ability to turn down raw ballscrews.. so basically I just need cut-to-size zero-backlash ball-screws, ideally precision ground.. but a full kit would be great and probably worth the extra price.

Question #2, What are People using Besides Mach3?

Mach3 was "it" back in 2008, and I believe I even have an old license for it somewhere. Are people still using it? Is there anything better, preferably not requiring Windows, and most importantly, something "real-time" that won't crap out if the operating system tends to other chores? Something that's not based on an outdated parallel port?

Question #3, Guidance for Building a Stand / Bench?

I'm going to build a stand / bench this weekend, and was wondering if anyone had links to some pictures and/or high-level plans that have worked and withstood some use? My first stand was too wobbly and I don't want to make that mistake again.

Question #4, Anything else Cool or Exciting that I Should Know About?

Are there any cool accessories or parts or conversions out there, that have came about since 2008?

As I said, I know most of this can be answered via searching, which I will be doing over the next few days / weeks, but figured I'd start a dialog and hopefully be re-welcomed back into the community.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My first post since 2008 - Time to CNC my G0463 after almost a decade of procrast

Wow, over 100 views, 5 days go by, and no replies?

Guess I've not missed much after all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My first post since 2008 - Time to CNC my G0463 after almost a decade of procrast

Q2: uccnc and associated motion controller (uc100& others) they just added some (g17/g18 I think) features useful for 3d milling

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Neil...

Check out my (now dated) build thread for ideas on a stand. I'm very happy with the one I built.

I didn't go with CNC Fusion, because of limited resources at the time... but I would highly recommend his zero backlash kit. For the X3 class (G0463) machines, you'll be up and running in a day or two.

I also recommend going with the Gecko 540, as they now offer motors better tuned for it. See http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.../gecko-drivers (formerly Kelinginc.). It's soooooo easy to wire this up. You might also try cncrouterparts.com, as they sell the G540 with matching steppers that already have the connectors professionally wired to the pig tails.

I think the newer versions of the G540 also have the silly resistor (matches the driver to the motor impedance) wired internally with an adjustable POT, but I'm not 100% sure about that. An inexpensive 48v switched power supply is all you need as well.

Mach is a very good package for the money and Mach 4 is out now. Can't go wrong here, but you can save a couple hundred bucks by setting up a LINUX OS and the free EMC2 software.

I'm using and older version of Mach 3 and setting it up (while following YouTube videos) was very easy.

For cooling, you can't go wrong with the Kool Mist system. The little $200 kit seems expensive, but then again, it gets you up and running quickly, with great cooling, and no need to embark on a big enclosure project build.

Everyone raves about the Tormach Tool system, and I'm sure it's great, but I simply use a set of inexpensive R8 collets and a cordless (impact) driver to operate my draw bar. It's quick and easy and I don't even need to use the pin spanner they provide with the mill for end mills 1/2" dia and less. I just hold the bottom of the spindle in my left hand and the driver in my right. The I simply use a touch off to set my Z height. It's quick, easy and inexpensive.

Register at ENCO and watch their e-mail specials and you can get an inexpensive import milling machine vise for <$100 with their 15-20% off/free shipping specials.

My advise is to travel the well worn path of using the CNC Fusion kit, G540 and matched steppers, and Mach. You'll be up and running in no time, rather than delaying the project for another 10 years.

Avoid the urge to keep up with the Joneses and buy the absolute best of everything (accept for the zero backlash CNC Fusion kit).

Downloads
    Uploads

here's the driver kit you want...

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...in-48v7-3a-psu

the 906 N34 motor runs "de-rated" (less than optimal amperage) on the G540, but still gives you ~500 in-lb of net torque.

This is what I used and my Z has no counter weight or gas cylinders, and it goes up and down plenty fast enough.

Consider stoning your ways... look at how I did it on my build thread... it was quick and easy and gave good results.

Downloads
    Uploads

PS... ever since they created a sub-forum for the X3 machines, the board gets very little traffic.

X3s are the red headed step child and G0704s are "where it's at"

That and I honestly think that the CNC hobby movement has lost a lot of steam since the recession and both the bench top machine and router boards on CNCZone have a lot less activity then when you last frequented them.

CNCFusion uses really nice, higher end China ball screws... with his own mounts, etc.. essentially, he is the China kit.

Dig up you old license of Mach 3... it's all you'll ever need.

Downloads
    Uploads

Great advice, thanks for the informative replies. You mentioned that you didn't go with CNCFusion, does that imply that you cut your own ballscrews? If so, how did that go?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Firsly, i am not going to upsetting people who want to convert the machine to cnc mode. And, I don't own a one but intend to buy some brand milling machine for cnc conversion in near future.
    In the forum, there are many complaints about it after doing cnc conversion but least on its machine in manual machining for which it is inherently designed for. In manual machining mode, in first hand, the mahine is trammed in perpendicular for z-axis during installation stage. Every time, during machining, the headstock is lowered down and gibs are locked. Quil is lowered down by pull down the handle. There is little imperfections in the result of machining.
    I noticed a video on YouTube claiming that backlash appeared after cnc conversion using Cnc fusion kit. In my thinking, what he meant is not there appeared in the ballscrew, but is the headstock tilting upward or downward slightly when ballscrew rotates in two directions. The geometric shape of gibs are not good, the two ends gib locking scews should be replaced by three side locking screws, the design of headstock bracket is no good, should has its nut's position near the headstock or gibs, all these contribute to the said errors, but do little harms on when machine is in maual machining mode.
    For those people who go for that type of conversion and companies which sell the kits should aware of these and make alerts to customers to have improvements in those areas in first hand inorder to get a good performance in cnc mode.These are also a harsh requirements in every machine when doing that type of conversion.
    But on another point of view, manufacturer should also address those deficiencies and do improvement in order to cater for the intent buyers who want it to have cnc conversion when they buy it or after operating it for a certain period of time.