Problem SX3 Controller running on a SX2 motor

Thread: SX3 Controller running on a SX2 motor

Downloads
    Uploads

Default SX3 Controller running on a SX2 motor

Had anyone else tried this ? I connected an SX3 powerboard to a SX2 motor. I can get it to run for a second or so, but then the motor over-speeds and shuts down. I thought perhaps the hall effect sensors (SA,SB,SC) might have a different 'firing order' so I swapped them around with no luck. It behaves as though one of the hall effect sensors is bad (which it isn't). My working theory is that the SX2 sensors are in a slightly different position on the rotor when compared to an SX3. I can see that sensors are sending info back to the mainboard. Both types use a +5 volt, Gnd and SA,SB,SC terminals with different connectors, so I made a simple adapter cable to adapt it.

If you look under the motor cover, there are slots on the sensor pc board that suggest a tech at Sieg needs to align the sensors with the rotor position, so maybe there are two different sets of standards for each model of motor.

If anyone has an leftover/spare/obsolete SX3 spindle motor from a CNC conversion, I'd like to hear from them, as it looks like I will have to make a dedicated SX3 mockup with the proper motor, instead of using my existing SX2 setup. -Pete